Moving on...

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Moving on...

Postby dexterslab » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:24 am

hi Guys, not posted here in ages, sorry!

After some deliberation i have decided i'm going to be selling up my final bits of Atari kit, namly my two TT's and all the bits that go with them. :cry:

I was hoping i would get back into it and start playing around with mint etc, especially after all the cash i spent on future proofing it, but i just dont seem to have the time and knowledge to get mint running properly. So instead of letting it sit gathering dust i'll sell it and let someone else have it and hopefully i'll get some useage!

I just wanted to post up here to say thanks to everyone who has helped, especially with all the mint questions i had! :cheers:

I'm going to catalog all the stuff i have and put them onto ebay probably in about a week or so as two separate auctions, i dont think worldwide shipping will be an option but i'll at least ship to uk & europe.

mark - aka Dexter, from deep inside the lab

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Moving on...

Postby wongck » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:35 am

Hey Mark...
Sad to see ya moving on like this. You must say that it was fun ( & frustration as well probably) getting your systems running.
Hope you will keep your web site up with those great information on it.
Good luck!!
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

mdivancic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mdivancic » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:34 pm

dexterslab wrote:hi Guys, not posted here in ages, sorry!

After some deliberation i have decided i'm going to be selling up my final bits of Atari kit, namly my two TT's and all the bits that go with them. :cry:

I was hoping i would get back into it and start playing around with mint etc, especially after all the cash i spent on future proofing it, but i just dont seem to have the time and knowledge to get mint running properly. So instead of letting it sit gathering dust i'll sell it and let someone else have it and hopefully i'll get some useage!

I just wanted to post up here to say thanks to everyone who has helped, especially with all the mint questions i had! :cheers:

I'm going to catalog all the stuff i have and put them onto ebay probably in about a week or so as two separate auctions, i dont think worldwide shipping will be an option but i'll at least ship to uk & europe.

mark - aka Dexter, from deep inside the lab

Mark:

You wouldn't happen to have a video card in one of those TT's you would be willing to sell separately, would you?
Mikey
Atari Falcon 030, CT-63 w/128MB @ 76MHz, 14 MB RamGizmo, SuperVidel + SvethLANa
Atari TT030, CaTTamaran, 4 MB ST-Ram, 16 MB TT-RAM, ECL2VGA
Amiga 4000T (QuickPak), OS 3.9, QuickPak 060 w/128 MB, Picasso IV, A2065, AD516
Commodore 128D, 1084S monitor, RAMLink, CMD 4.1GB Hardrive
Commodore SX-64

dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dexterslab » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:47 pm

@mdivancic:
one of them has a crazydots 2 card, but at the moment i'm not planning on splitting anything

@wonkck:
Yea, it's sad i know, but all things come to an end eventually, the atari pages on my website will remain there.

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:26 pm

It's a shame you give up after all this effort. As I told you several times by mail, it's working without any prob here. My EIZO died a few weeks ago and I use the crazy-dots now on a regular basis (1280x814). But you weren't really interested. Maybe I'll look for a bug in MiNT during the next months. Will look for your offers on ebay anyway ;-)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeap... hopefully mine wouldn't come to an end anytime soon.... still have some time late in the night.

The first time I dropped was gaming for over 3 year now, and that really freed up some free time for me :lol:
It amazing, my PC Nvdia 8800 graphic card died 2 months or so back & I am using the old ATI 9200 meant for my CTPCI.
It was choking on Google Earth.
I couldn't imagine me using such a "bad" card on my rig if I am still playing those 3D games. :lol: :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:50 pm

helmut wrote:It's a shame you give up after all this effort.

Yeap.... Dexterslab put together some nifty hardware on those TT.

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:42 pm

wongck wrote:The first time I dropped was gaming for over 3 year now, and that really freed up some free time for me :lol:
It amazing, my PC Nvdia 8800 graphic card died 2 months or so back & I am using the old ATI 9200 meant for my CTPCI.
It was choking on Google Earth.
I couldn't imagine me using such a "bad" card on my rig if I am still playing those 3D games. :lol: :lol:

Yeah I stopped PC gaming about five years ago and I still have the same Nvidia FX5900XT AGP card that I got in 2004; I believe this was a much faster card than the ATI 9200 you mention though. I was never a big gamer on the PC, just played Colin McRae and a few other driving games and I hate those first person shooter games, so that rules out 85% of all current games I guess! :lol: Google seems to work fine with my old card though in my equally old ABIT AS8 + P4 640 3.2GHz PC.

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:19 am

I know hwo you feel mate.

I have had nothing but good solid use out of my TT and nothign but heartache rfom all 3 of my Falcons.

When the falcon does work well, it works amazingly, but alas it does not last.

For example, I sent back both my CT63 and my CTPCI a while back, and they came back only last week.
Now, with the RADEON, I can boot in TOS just fine and I can use any rez I want, and I can alter the screen etc etc and everythign is great, but under Mint, this is not so.
I tried under MAGIC, and since the only use that the CTPCI has at this stage is the RADEON, then Im hadly going to worry about networking etc, and so, I will go back with Magic for a bit, but that also failed to work.
Turns out that I need to update the CT-TOS and so, I do it, but now I have no 060 mode yet again?

I keep notes on the time I spend on my atari... I keep notes on every little thing like that and I can give you times and dates of everything I have done on any apsect of my life, I have done for several years and since getting my CT63, I have been able to use it a total of about 14 hours, and since getting the CTPCI I have not even hit 2 hours yet and its already gone back once and now the Falcon wont start up in 060 again.

Its very frustrating.

So, I know how you feel.

Buit dont pull out all together... Thats a shame to do that.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:34 am

Hi FatRakoon,

FatRakoon wrote:I have had nothing but good solid use out of my TT and nothign but heartache rfom all 3 of my Falcons.

It's not the Falcon that is not working..... :wink:

My Falcon, I love it.
No CT63 for me now because it's on home leave. Hopefully when it return it feels "reflashed" from the vacation with the new firmware. :lol:
I am using my falc as you can see from my queries here even as my TT is pushed to one side.
That TT has more memory, is faster, has higher resolution & more colours & even faster scsi, probably outclassing the falc in all dept except DSP. No biggie, I don't use DSP at all when I am using the Falc.
yet I am still on the Falc.... well that's just me :roll:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:39 am

FatRakoon wrote: since getting the CTPCI I have not even hit 2 hours yet and its already gone back once and now the Falcon wont start up in 060 again.

Saw your other post, sorry about it.
I totally no experience in it other than reading some posting over at dhs.nu.

It is precisely I am not getting the ctpci now, hardware is not my cup of tea. Well you know from those 2 resistors :lol: :lol:
Put it this way, I even buggered up my workplace notebook when I just inserted the ram into it. Needs a motherboard replacement.
(amazes me that I put together my home DIY PC by myself... 8O )
Luckily for me Atari are much hardier than that.

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:41 pm

LOL

Im similar

I used to be fairly competent on the Atari, but since my accident I had to re-learn computers from scratch and I have now obtained a diploma in Musical arts and Mixing and production techniques, as well as BTEC in Hardware and Networking and I run my own Custom PC business, thats moderately successful, and yet when it comes down to the Atari, I am a total fanny. I keep reading up on this and that, I keep printing off notes and every single time I go back ot it, its as if I am starting over because I have remembered... NOTHING!

Go figure?

Actually, thats not completely true because I have never failed at doing anythign on my STs or TT, its only the Falcon and its only the CT that I have had any issues with,

My Mega for example, was re-housed in a PC Desktop case, 2xCDROM & 3xHD & 2xFDD all internal The TopLink Adapter was kind of heavily modified and I had an internal SCSI Port at the end of it. Both A: and B: were both 1.4MB, TOS2.6 obviously, and it was 16 Mhz ( Not switchable to 8Mhz cos it was a hack ) and it was sporting a gorgeous and totally OTT 12MB thanks to Marpet.
The Cartridge port was also modified too. It was moved to allow me to mount the cartridges vertically inside the case, and later, I simply kept the Stereo Replay in there, and simply had its outputs routed to 2xAUX connectors. I later added a small circuit that allowed me to mix the Mono signal of the ST to these.

The latest project I did for it, was a dallas clock. I had all the garb for a Dallas clock for a PC that worked through the serial port and so that was simplicity in itself, it was only a matter of writing a tiny program to write and then read a few bytes to and from the serial port. The snag with this mod, is that it does conflict with Serial modems etc and the only way I found to get around this was to built a delay circuit that switched it off after a few seconds. but this gave any AUTO program plenty of time to read the time / date from it and only on a cold boot.

Anyway, all silly little projects that gave me no hassle at all, but the CT...

Im certainly not finding it the easiest thiong to work with myself no

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:58 pm

FatRakoon wrote:LOL

Im similar

...but since my accident...

Road accident?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Well the CT is ... so so different.... that's the problem.
It's a heavily customised micro computer on it's own leeching on the big bird.
It's amazing that it works (... or don't work :lol: ) like how it ought to be.

Man... you certainly have some great work done on your other Atari machines.

My mod for my STFM was done back in the 80s - tos2.06 and memory from 512K to 1MB and the to 4MB & scsi adapter & clock.
Anyway there was so much stuffed into it that it does not close properly :lol: :lol:
I don't think much of it will work now, especially the spaghetti inside it.
I always had it as a back up in case my falc dies....
which it did when I attempted to change the nvram battery....
but when it did, I did not use the STFM but when and bid for a TT instead :roll:

Really I am using the keyboard on the TT now and floppy drive is in my Falc (it's a 1.4MB FDD).
Guess I should pull out the STFM mods and put them on eBay and hope to get some money from it.
Then trash the mobo and the monitor (that I kept so that I can use the STFM).
sad... it's my 1st computer I bought with my own money.

My falc and TT has no mod done by me, everything came as it is.

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Shredder11 wrote:Road accident?

Yeah, On my motorbike, I lost an arguement with a car and I was fairly well messed up.

wongck wrote:Well the CT is ... so so different.... that's the problem.
It's a heavily customised micro computer on it's own leeching on the big bird.
It's amazing that it works (... or don't work :lol: ) like how it ought to be.

True, the CT is a complex beast and you have to take your hats off to Rodolphe for even considering such a task.

wongck wrote:Man... you certainly have some great work done on your other Atari machines.

( SouthPark smug-style ) Thaaaanks!

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:00 pm

I don't know how long ago this was for you, but I hope you have made a good recovery; I know you are never exactly the same after something major but so long as you can continue to do most of what you enjoy etc.

Regards 3D gaming that has been mentioned, is it only me or is anyone else not that bothered about 3D? I mean even back in the 8-bit days when it first appeared I always thought, "wow that looks impressive/good attempt" but I always returned to the games that were the most addictive or compulsive. I find nearly all the 3D games I have seen or played, to be somewhat lacking in the immediate fun way. Obviously times have changed considerably since I was a teenager throughout the 1980s, but surely kids want more than just every game being 3D and a huge gun pointing forwards, and it being about ammo and missions? Kids must want other more quirky and individual games too? In a nutshell I would say compare a list of 80s games with a list of what is available right now, and I bet the 80s will have far more weird and wonderful games to suit all tastes. Ok RANT MODE OFF! :mrgreen:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:34 am

FatRakoon wrote:
Shredder11 wrote:Road accident?

Yeah, On my motorbike, I lost an arguement with a car and I was fairly well messed up.

sorry to hear that.
hope you're recovering well !

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:43 am

Shredder11 wrote:Regards 3D gaming that has been mentioned, is it only me or is anyone else not that bothered about 3D? I mean even back in the 8-bit days when it first appeared I always thought, "wow that looks impressive/good attempt" but I always returned to the games that were the most addictive or compulsive. I find nearly all the 3D games I have seen or played, to be somewhat lacking in the immediate fun way.

well, i always enjoyed RTS.
RTS don't need to be 3D in any sense, UMS is kind of 3D wannabe but rather is isometric, so is starcraft (the original one).
In fact starcraft is more of 2D..... really, rather than isometric, the layout is just slanted to one side :lol:
However, as 3D hw came about and more & more games goes towards 3D, RTS also went that way.
I have no choice.
So lots of graphic power was needed just to play an RTS nowaday.

btw, one of my favorite RTS is in fact, a 3D one unfortunately, from the BITMAPS BROTHERS.... Z2.
but it's not available on the atari... :roll:

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:28 am

3D & GFX Power
Yes, I love Playing the WarHammer 40K : Dawn Of War Games... They are very heavily reliant on a good 3D Card.

Accident.
I was very much messed up. I even died twice, which really scrambled my head cos I can remember nothign from about the age of 17 to around 22 ( Probably a good thing LOL ) but I have a photo graphic memory from my early childhood ( very bad thing, I was a right git LOL ) but the worst thing is that my learning ability has gone to pieces.... Some things I take in and I remember with razor precision and accuracy while other things I just go wiblbe wibble. Its weird.

One example, ( In various parts ) is my music.
I usd to play the Keyboards very well, but I did not have much talent for writing my own music. I did do, and I have done a fair number of tracks of varying levels of OK-ness ( EH? ) however, I have for some strange reason, lost thew ability to play keyboards like I used to, but, my skills at music writing have jumped up a notch. Not only that, but I am now becoming a very competent percussionist, while before I had lost of trouble controling my individual limbs. Now with knackered arms and legs, this is a pain in the arse, and totally not fair as I am unable to play for long at all. So, thats all weird in itself.

There is more to it that that, but I wont go into it... Im already a waffler without that.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:45 am

FatRakoon wrote:3D & GFX Power
Yes, I love Playing the WarHammer 40K : Dawn Of War Games... They are very heavily reliant on a good 3D Card.

Yes, I liked that too.... especially you can drop ship some space marines behind enemy lines :thumbs:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:53 am

FatRakoon wrote: my skills at music writing have jumped up a notch.

There is more to it that that, but I wont go into it... Im already a waffler without that.

It's good that you can still do something you really enjoy doing.
I always think that musician are the luckiest because the main part of their job is their hobby :wink:
In your case you probably love doing something related to music, else your main Atari use is cubase.

Ok, ought to not go too much into personal stuff in the open.... :wink:

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:40 pm

wongck wrote:Yes, I liked that too.... especially you can drop ship some space marines behind enemy lines :thumbs:

Yeah, but only a basic 4 man squad without their extra weapons.
If only you could have the full man squad and with the weapons, then they would be a force.
I much prefer the Orcs to be honest. I have not yet completed the game ( SoulStorm ) on hardest with the Marines ,but I did it with relative each with the Orcs, and the Necrons.

wongck wrote:
It's good that you can still do something you really enjoy doing.
I always think that musician are the luckiest because the main part of their job is their hobby :wink:
In your case you probably love doing something related to music, else your main Atari use is cubase.

The big move for me to Sequncers was Sequencer One - it came in ST Format many moons ago. Before that was Quartet ( Kind of SoundTracker / Sequencer hybrid I suppose? ) then to BreakThru and then eventuially BreakThru 2 Plus, but I took years to move to CuBase. Now I use both Score and Audio although I have only recently started to use CuBase Audio properly, and its not for lack of trying, its just that the Falcon is spending most of its life waiting for the CT to get repaired again... again... again... ( Case in point )
But now that I know how to use CuBase and I can get aroundf it just fine, I cannot go back to Breakthru because its just too crappy... Funny how I say that when I said that CuBase was crappy before I know it.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:58 pm

FatRakoon wrote:Yeah, but only a basic 4 man squad without their extra weapons.
If only you could have the full man squad and with the weapons, then they would be a force.
I much prefer the Orcs to be honest. I have not yet completed the game ( SoulStorm ) on hardest with the Marines ,but I did it with relative each with the Orcs, and the Necrons.

Been 3 years or thereabouts since I touched games... can't remember much.
But I remembered that once I had a marine in a shell hole & he was not hit by.... enemy ,can't remember Orcs or what else... anyway, I was able to reinforce him and upgrade the weapons until that team was strong and was able to win that scenario. Amazing thing was, he was completely cut off and isolated... looks like one of those funny bugs in the game :mrgreen:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:01 pm

FatRakoon wrote: Before that was Quartet ( Kind of SoundTracker / Sequencer hybrid I suppose? )

Yeah I played around with Quartet... want to make some music but never really catch on for me.
That's the closes I got :(

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:17 pm

wongck wrote:Been 3 years or thereabouts since I touched games... can't remember much.
But I remembered that once I had a marine in a shell hole & he was not hit by.... enemy ,can't remember Orcs or what else... anyway, I was able to reinforce him and upgrade the weapons until that team was strong and was able to win that scenario. Amazing thing was, he was completely cut off and isolated... looks like one of those funny bugs in the game :mrgreen:

Yeah, funniest one I had, was that I had just been pretty much wiped out and the entire force of orcs were at my home base.
I had a servitor half way across the map, and I just got him to build another home base and literraly within seconds of doing that, the orc army had utterly destroyed my main base. It kept me in the game, and while I got the sevitor to build a barracks, I sent out 2 scouts to the enemy base.

I ended up winning with only 4 scouts and a couple of servitors.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”