Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Partitioning Syquest 44 carts on the Falcon

Postby Pastor » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:54 am

Hi Guys

I bought two syquest drives (1 44mb and an 88mb) from a guy in Germany. Received them yesterday with 16 carts. After some investigation of a number of the disks they were full of DTP, Graphics, Fonts and utilities. They must have come from a DTP service. There is one disk with over 400 commercial calamus fonts and some are stunning. There is Calamus SL, Didot Layout, Repro, Scan It and lots more graphic applications all in German of course. There are also some disks with calamus documents some of the work is amazing. A truly great bargain €16.00 in total plus postage.

Anyways some of the disks are blank and even though I get device icons when I choose "install devices" nothing happens when I click them. When I run DHDriver 7.x all I get when I choose the Partition option is my internal IDE drive, if I do an id scan the drive is recognised correctly but will not show up as an option under the Partition option. What am I doing wrong?

On a side issue could someone please provide me with the required English resource files for Layout (Didot), Repro Studio and Scan it.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:19 pm

Might be a silly thought, but...

The HD Driver utility can see the drive when it checks, but does it see teh drive on boot up?

Make sure that the HD Driver can see the drive on boot up too.

This is a 50-50 thing with my Ataris... Some disks you can and some you cannot... Kind of like the way that you can sometimes install HD Driver onto a partition, sometimes you cannot. Setting the driver to check for that particular ID might ( after the next boot ) give you better access to the drive?

Only a though and probably a waste of time, but who knows?

I have a SyQuest 44 so, later on, I will go and have a look as to whether I can or cannot partition the disk? - Im sure I have had to format a disk once because it had some bad sectors, btu Im not sure at this time.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:19 pm

Might be a silly thought, but...

The HD Driver utility can see the drive when it checks, but does it see teh drive on boot up?

Make sure that the HD Driver can see the drive on boot up too.

This is a 50-50 thing with my Ataris... Some disks you can and some you cannot... Kind of like the way that you can sometimes install HD Driver onto a partition, sometimes you cannot. Setting the driver to check for that particular ID might ( after the next boot ) give you better access to the drive?

Only a though and probably a waste of time, but who knows?

I have a SyQuest 44 so, later on, I will go and have a look as to whether I can or cannot partition the disk? - Im sure I have had to format a disk once because it had some bad sectors, but Im not sure at this time.

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Thanks FatRakoon

Postby Pastor » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:40 am

Hi FatRakoon

HD Driver 7.8 recognises the drive at start-up but will not allow me to format or partition the disks. Each disk has a German driver on it nor too sure of the name should I replace it with the HD Driver sys file?

Thanks

Paul

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:38 am

Oh, hiya mate...

Ok, well, yes, I did have a play, I just didnt reply to this... Why I didnt, I must have just got side-tracked ( Too easy these days )

Ok, well, it sounds like you are using that as the one and only Hard Drive then? - since its got the driver on IT.

I am using it in my drive bay case as... Well, kind of a spare really? - Im only actually using it because its termination is spot on and its cured my SCSI issues on the Falcon better than my previous Terminated HD.

Anyway...

Partitioning it.

Ok, so your version of HDDriver is ENGLISH, but the one on the Syquest disk is GERMAN?

This is NOT a problem and installing your own HDDriver onto the Syquest disk will simply overwrite the German one with your English one and will NOT affect any data ( At least it should not )

Copying the files directly over is NOT recommended. It will surely not work, and just render the tyhing unbootable... You need to use the Install Program to do it for you.

Now, partitioning the disk will wipe it.

For what its worth, I was perfectly able to put 2 partitions onto my 44MB Disk and standard TOS was able to see both partitions.

Although at just 44MB, I myself would fine partitiojning them a little silly.

OK?

moondog/.tSCc.

Postby moondog/.tSCc. » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:29 pm

Hello there,

as I remember right I had such problems with my Syquest 105 too if the cartridges were damaged :?

Greetings
Undercover Magascene - observing the Atari scene since 1993

MaLICiouS
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby MaLICiouS » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:18 pm

Have you tried initializing the partitions?
4MB 1040STe
4MB Mega/STE with FreeMiNT/XaAESm 40MB SCSI HD, 1.44M floppy
Recased Falcon030 with CT2, 64MB TT-RAM, 4MB ST-RAM, FreeMiNT/XaAES, EtherNEC and 40GB HDD

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Partioning Syquest Drive

Postby Pastor » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies, My system is setup as follows

Falcon with internal 65mb IDE HDD, connected via SCSI II 1.7gb SCSI HDD, connected from the HDD drive is a SCSI CD ROM Drive and then the Syquest drive. I boot the falcon from the internal IDE drive.All work without issues. I received 16 Syquest disks with the Syquest drive and most work without problem. The ones that dont work I have tried to Partition and format with HD Driver with no success there is the possibility that the disks are faulty of course. The German driver on some of the Squest disks is call Hushi I think it is not part of HD Driver 7.6. Do I need to replace the German driver with HD Drivers version?

I dont think that I explained it very well before, sorry. I intend to use the syquest drive and disks for backing up both the internal and external drives.

Paul

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:27 pm

Hushi is NOT part of HDDriver no... Its another driver altogether.

Its about as equipped to handle devics as AHDI but not as good as HDDriver, which is XHDI

So, certainly the option to upgrade to HD Driver is something you might consider in the future.

Ok, bad sectors + Inability to partition = Answer

Having bad sectors on the disk, should not stop you FORMATTING the disk.... If you can get down to actually formatting the disk, then this, should mark off any bad sectors and let you use the disk as normal ,and it will go around any bad sectors, and let you use the good ones.

Few thigns to note on that...

If a disk has bad sectors, then, no matter what you might think, and no matter how carefull you are... More will come.
Accept it, but if a disk gives you hassle now, trying to get them working will only lead to even more heartache later on.
Throw the bad ones away

What you probably have, is a few disks that have bad sectors on important sections of the disks, such as the first few sectors, which is completely disabling any chance of having a successful partition.

You can Download AHDI 6.6 which is the latest version of AHDI and is available in english... Erm, only available in english and it will at the very least let you know why it will be failing

ppera

Postby ppera » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:47 pm

FatRakoon wrote:...
What you probably have, is a few disks that have bad sectors on important sections of the disks, such as the first few sectors, which is completely disabling any chance of having a successful partition...

I agree not with it. With advanced partitioning program it is possible.
How? So, that set first partition beginning not near to drive's begin, but skipping damaged area. It can be done on PC with Partition Magic very simple.
On Ataris probably no such tool, but can be done even with some disk editor.
Question is only is it worth with some Syquest?
I did it on 40GB Maxtor (skipped 2GB at start), and it worked 3 years without spreading damaged sectors.

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:39 pm

Yes, its possible to do that and yes its very easy on a PC as there are many tools that can do it... Partition Magic, Acronis etc...

But on Atari?

Perhaps he could say connect the syquest to a PC maybe, and use the PC to do it?

Its only then a matter of making sure the Partition is TOS & DOS Compatible.

You did that Maxtor... On an Atari or PC?

I have done it many times on a PC in fact

ppera

Postby ppera » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:47 pm

FatRakoon wrote:...
But on Atari?
Perhaps he could say connect the syquest to a PC maybe, and use the PC to do it?
Its only then a matter of making sure the Partition is TOS & DOS Compatible.
You did that Maxtor... On an Atari or PC?

As said, don't know about SW for it. I did it on PC, and that disk used on PC - though connected several times to Atari because of hard disk driver testing (what finally killed it (too many on-off switch is not healty)).

However, as I'm currently in middle of writing partitioning programm. maybe can do something... It is easy to skip areas on drive. Just need new partition type, named 'empty space' :)
The command dialog is finished, and is not easy to add new buttons now.
And better to keep their count low.
But can be solved with some 'extra usage complicating', to say so - probably will not irritate advanced users, who only will dare and know how and why to make such holes in drive...
For example cycling with 'FAT32 t.' button between FAT16, FAT32 and empty space partition types... (Or repeated click on already selected partiton - probably better... ). Then it may be shown with different box, fill...

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:30 pm

I think that once a disk has started to develop bad sectors, its only a matter of time before more appear. ( Depending on what caused the error perhaps )

Personally, once a disk starts to go down for me, I get rid of it.

Its just bad luck that when it fails for a final time, it will take important data that I need and dont have backed up.

It happened to me some time ago and it was a shock that I have never forgotten, s now I just dont risk it.

ppera

Postby ppera » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:26 am

We here, in Eastern Europe used to not drop in trash anything what is still usable somehow.
So, old, partially faulty hard disks are perfect for experimenting, testing.

There was nothing on drive, what was not backed up.
Not to mention that it was repartitioned several times

I think that lot of people has such, little damaged drives. If they use not much their old computers, old hard disks may work for years...

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:10 am

Yes, this is true.

Light use disks may last for years.

Everyone uses theirs differently.

Social Media