Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Internal SCSI terminator for the Falcon

Postby dhedberg » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi,

I'd like to see if there is any interest for an internal SCSI terminator for owners of a C-LAB Falcon but also for Atari Falcon030 owners that have replaced the internal SCSI terminator resistors with an internal adapter for 2.5" SCSI devices.

Most of you probably modified your Falcon030 to connect a CosmosEx to the internal side of the bus, but if you for any reason in the future want to connect it to the external port instead, you need to either restore the resistor packs or in some other way terminate the internal side of the SCSI bus.

In my C-LAB Falcon I want to keep the possibility to connect an internal SCSI device, but at the moment I want to use the CosmosEx as an external device as I share it between multiple computers. So I designed a very small SCSI terminator that connects to the 40-pin SCSI cable for 2.5" devices. Without the internal termination an external device will not work reliably (at least it did not work for me).

I have a few spare PCBs so please let me know if you're interested, and in that case in what solution:

A) Soldered plug-and-play terminator, approx. 20 EUR.
B) PCB + parts as a DIY kit, approx. 10 EUR.
C) PCB only, 5 EUR.

Shipping is not included in the prices but will be fairly cheap unless you want insurance/tracking. Depending on the demand I may or may not build more units. The bare PCB I can send immediately.

You may also be interested in the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for the C-Lab Falcon. Allows you to for instance connect the CosmosEx to the internal 40-pin SCSI cable and replace the floppy drive with the CosmosEx: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37549

Thanks,
Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dhedberg on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Internal SCSI terminator for the Falcon

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:39 pm

Daniel: Does the C-Lab MKX bring it as standard? (I don't want to open mine again).
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

derkom
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby derkom » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:00 am

I'll take a kit. Right now I'm not using the SCSI bus on my C-Lab Falcon at all, but you never know. Won't hurt to terminate it anyway in the meantime. :)

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:58 am

Atarieterno wrote:Daniel: Does the C-Lab MKX bring it as standard? (I don't want to open mine again).

I have a C-Lab MK-II. I don't know what the MK-X looks like inside with regards to the SCSI piggy back modification, but I can only assume they used the same solution on all machines which means it will have a small board at the place where the old internal SCSI termination resistors were located (right behind the external SCSI port). This board has a 40-pin ribbon cable for 2.5" devices soldered onto it. You may want to make sure that's the case for your MK-X as well, but I understand if you don't want to open it again.

derkom wrote:I'll take a kit. Right now I'm not using the SCSI bus on my C-Lab Falcon at all, but you never know. Won't hurt to terminate it anyway in the meantime. :)

PM sent.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:18 am

Received a confirmation that the MK-X has the same piggy back board as the MK-II, so the terminator will work on the MK-X as well.

derkom
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby derkom » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:27 am

dhedberg wrote:Received a confirmation that the MK-X has the same piggy back board as the MK-II, so the terminator will work on the MK-X as well.

Careful there... If you're talking about the photos of mine, that's a MK-II, not a MK-X.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:07 am

derkom wrote:
dhedberg wrote:Received a confirmation that the MK-X has the same piggy back board as the MK-II, so the terminator will work on the MK-X as well.

Careful there... If you're talking about the photos of mine, that's a MK-II, not a MK-X.

Oh, sorry, you're right. I thought you said you had an MK-X. So, need to get that confirmed by somebody else then. :-)

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:20 pm

dhedberg wrote:Hi,

I just want to see if there is any interest for an internal SCSI terminator for owners of a C-LAB Falcon but also for Atari Falcon030 owners that have replaced the internal SCSI terminator resistors with an internal adapter for 2.5" SCSI devices.

Most of you probably modified your Falcon030 to connect a CosmosEx to the internal side of the bus, but if you for any reason in the future want to connect it to external port instead you need to either restore the resistor packs or in some other way terminate the internal side of the SCSI bus.

In my C-LAB Falcon I wanted to keep the possibility to connect an internal SCSI device, but at the moment I want to use the CosmosEx as an external device as I share it between multiple computers. So I designed a very small SCSI terminator that connects to the 40-pin SCSI cable for 2.5" devices. Without the internal termination an external device will not work reliably (at least it did not work for me).

I have a few spare PCBs so please let me know if you're interested, and in that case in what solution:

A) Soldered plug-and-play terminator, ~20 EUR.
B) PCB + parts as a DIY kit, ~10 EUR.
C) PCB only, ~5 EUR.

Shipping is not included in the prices but will be fairly cheap unless you want insurance/tracking. Depending on the demand I may or may not build more units. The bare PCB I can send immediately.

Thanks,
Daniel

Interesting!

Will this also work for a standard Falcon? What would it need to make use of your fine solution?

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:52 pm

dbsys wrote:Interesting!
Will this also work for a standard Falcon? What would it need to make use of your fine solution?

Yes. To get access to the SCSI bus internally in the Atari Falcon030 you need to replace the original termination resistors with a board providing access to the SCSI bus from inside the case. This is the modification that was done by C-Lab in all of their Falcons. Something like this:

https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/produc ... cosmos-ex/

This board will let you connect a SCSI device internally, but if you change your mind and no longer want an internal device, but instead use the external SCSI port you need to terminate the internal side of the SCSI bus again. This is when my SCSI terminator comes in handy.

As long as the piggy back board provides +5V on pin 24 (TERMPOWER) of the internal 40-pin SCSI connector, the SCSI terminator will work. You will need to verify this with the provider of the piggy back board. All C-Lab Falcons provide +5V on pin 24 of the internal SCSI connector. I'd be surprised if the Aranaet board doesn't provide +5V as all SCSI devices need this for their termination resistors. But I cannot speak for his adapter.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:35 pm

If you want to put the CosmosEx (or any other 3.5" SCSI device) inside your C-Lab Falcon you may be interested in this instead: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37549

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Still have a few left of these if anyone's interested.

derkom
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby derkom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Took me a few days to get around to it, but I just put mine together today, and also the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter. Both confirmed working fine. Thanks dhedberg!

Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 18.56.07.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”