How to install MiNT?

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

How to install MiNT?

Postby Zamuel_a » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 pm

I wanted to test MiNT but can't get it to work. I visited https://github.com/freemint/freemint/releases and downloaded 1.18.0

I understood that I had to remove all programs in the autofolder except the one I wanted to use. (The 030 version in this case since I run it on a standard Falcon).
It booted up and I got several error texts. For example "can't open u:/a/mint/1-18-0/mint.cnf

Why /a/mint? I don't have an 'a' folder in the files I downloaded. If I tried to use the ls command I just got ls error -34

From what I read this was supposed to be easy but I couldn't get anywere, even after several hours or trying. I can't imagine this was the stuff Atari wanted people to use for the Falcon.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: How to install MiNT?

Postby christos » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Check the mint.cnf file. There should be a reference to a:\mint there. This is translated to unix dir structure by mint. Anyway, i d start with vanillamint and build from that.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:From what I read this was supposed to be easy but I couldn't get anywere, even after several hours or trying. I can't imagine this was the stuff Atari wanted people to use for the Falcon.

Installing MultiTOS (Atari's MiNT-"distro") was a lot easier than installing the current official MiNT-releases. A *lot*.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Moulinaie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Moulinaie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:It booted up and I got several error texts. For example "can't open u:/a/mint/1-18-0/mint.cnf

The paths u:/a in MINT is equal to A:\ under TOS. Your Mint installation is trying to load its config file from the A:\ floppy disk drive.
Why ?
I don't know....
Have you instaled correctly ?
- the mint030.prg into the auto folder
- a MINT folder on the boot drive (C:\)
- into the mint folder, there should be the 1-18-0 folder with everything for Mint and, among that, the CNF file.

Guillaume.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:22 am

Don't use the old release... go to https://freemint.github.io/#snapshots, grap the 68000 "distro", point xaaes.cnf to your desktop (bottom of the file) and give it a go.

Yes, it's not totally straightforward but much better than it used to be (IMHO - compare against 1.18...).

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:09 pm

I couldn't find anything called "68000" but tried some others. I found one freemint version and when it booted it complained about missing stuff and just got a "system halted" message.
There are no installation files. Just AUTO and some other folders. Can't understand why it has to be so difficult?
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:I couldn't find anything called "68000" but tried some others. I found one freemint version and when it booted it complained about missing stuff and just got a "system halted" message.
There are no installation files. Just AUTO and some other folders. Can't understand why it has to be so difficult?

Maybe because people do it in their free time and maybe they prefer to spend time on other areas of development. Like drivers. Or bugfixes.

So while reporting that something doesn't work is always welcome, this "why it can't work with one double click" kind of complains really doesn't do any good especially if it's only complains with zero activity towards improving the situation.

Anyway. FIY on https://bintray.com/freemint/freemint/s ... estVersion, -000 archives are meant for 68000, -020 for 68020-60.

point xaaes.cnf to your desktop (bottom of the file) and give it a go.

Can't understand why it has to be so difficult to understand such a simple sentence? (how does that sound?)

So please, unpack that archive on C: and before booting, try to edit that file and report back if you like.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:59 pm

You can also try VanillaMiNT. Just read and follow the installation instructions carefully.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Hey Zamuela_a,
I share your feelings, but I did not want to complain just to evade Mikros slaps! :D
but you are certainly not alone "MINT: We don't make this easy do we?"
btw thanks Zamuela_a for your work on Pacmania STe ;)

Some years ago there was easy-mint installation and it was really easy :)
Thanks to Joska, we today have VanillaMiNT.
also Wongck have nice page about MiNT https://sites.google.com/site/probehouse/

anyway, I never manage to install MiNT on my own but I rather use easy-mint (deprecated) and later VanillaMiNT...
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:59 pm

I don't care if it's easy or hard to install it. I understand that it might not be to easy. It's just that when I read the info next to the download files it says stuff like "all you need, no installation, just click and start and so on..." That isn't really the truth so a bit annoying. :wink:

I had liked to find the original Atari Multi TOS but seems it's not easy to find.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:08 pm

I downloaded VanillaMinT and followed the instructions. It starts and I get to the command prompt with the "mint:/#" cursor. What do I do now? Whatever I type I just get some code error code -34

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:42 pm

You did not follow the instructions. If you did, it would have worked. VanillaMiNT was developed on exactly the same hardware as you use, a stock Falcon030.
Please read the instructions closely and try again.
Jo Even

Arne
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Arne » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Tried VanillaMint today on a 14MB F030 and got problems, too. Will have a look tomorrow again.
BTW: which NVDI should be used on a F030 with standard Videl graphics? I tried 3.31 and got a distorted desktop with VanillaMint and an error code (think it was -134 but I'm not sure.). NVDI 3.31 works fine with TOS 4.04.

sety
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sety » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:45 am

I found this guide helpful:
https://sites.google.com/site/probehouse/mint-os-for-atari

There is a fixed version of NVDI 5 on exxos's site that will allow you to install it from a hard disk:
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/CT60/exxosNVDI.zip

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:23 am

Zamuel_a wrote:I read the info next to the download files it says stuff like "all you need, no installation, just click and start and so on..."

It says: "bootable, preconfigured and maintained archives for the ST, 020+ machines and the FireBee".

Preconfigured can go only as far as the original freemint content goes (which doesn't contain a desktop, so you have to supply that on your own).

Judging from your experience with VanillaMiNT maybe you should really pay more attention to instructions given.

Good news is that after integration of David's changes I plan to supply Teradesk, bash and some environment settings directly into the archive because, well, it's comfortable to use (freemint archives for aranym work like this for years).

It's literally just editing ASCII text and pushing buttons but who is gonna do it? Yes, me, the developer.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:37 am

Arne wrote:Tried VanillaMint today on a 14MB F030 and got problems, too. Will have a look tomorrow again.

Please send me a more detailed report if you do.

Arne wrote:BTW: which NVDI should be used on a F030 with standard Videl graphics? I tried 3.31 and got a distorted desktop with VanillaMint and an error code (think it was -134 but I'm not sure.). NVDI 3.31 works fine with TOS 4.04.

Good point, I have not tested recent ("recent" as in "the last 20 years") versions of MiNT/XaAES with NVDI < 4.x on Falcon. There could be an issue there. But why would one use such an old version on the Falcon? What does NVDI 3 do better than NVDI 4?

Btw I have been testing MiNT/XaAES on an STE with NVDI 2.51 and it's working fine.

Btw2 - do you happen to use an RGB monitor? There is (was? Have not been paying attention the last couple of years) a problem with recent XaAES and RGB monitors.
Jo Even

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 am

I tried it under Hatari (maybe I need a real Falcon for it to work?)
I set it up to be 16Mhz 68030 with 14Mb RAM. Put VanillaMint on a HD floppy image and used an empty folder as HD. I started the install program on the floppy image and it installed it on the harddrive without any problems from what I could see. Rebooted and just got the prompt without anything else.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:23 am

Zamuel_a wrote:I tried it under Hatari (maybe I need a real Falcon for it to work?)

Not if Hatari emulates a real Falcon. In that case MiNT would never know the difference.

Zamuel_a wrote:I set it up to be 16Mhz 68030 with 14Mb RAM. Put VanillaMint on a HD floppy image and used an empty folder as HD.

MiNT does not work from Hatari's host filesystem. You need to use an emulated harddrive (disk image).

Zamuel_a wrote:I started the install program on the floppy image...

Are you sure you are using VanillaMiNT?? There is no installation program in VanillaMiNT.
Jo Even

Arne
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Arne » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:51 am

2nd try with Falcon #2: stock Falcon030 with 14MB and IDE Drive (C: 60MB, D: 67MB) + external 100MB SCSI ZIP (E:) for data exchange with PC. Using HDDriver 10.13. Just repartitioned the HDD to the above scheme. So it's a clean install.
Extracted all 6 VANILLAn.ZIP to the ZIP - gives me unzip problems as one or two of the country.src files use long-filenames. If installing MiNT for the first time I probably don't have a filesystem capable of long-filenames.
Anyway:
  • Installed NVDI 3.31 to C:
  • Reboot to make sure NVDI boots up properly
  • Now copied the content of the unpacked Vanilla ZIPs to C:
  • used AUTOSORT.PRG to make sure that NVDI is booted before MINT030.PRG
  • Reboot
  • HDDriver boots, NVDI boots, MiNT boots BUT
  • no desktop - just a black screen - I mean REALLY black. Regarding the control LED of the TFT the TFT still seems to get sync signals!
What I did next:
  • Rebooting from FDD (holding down Alt-Key during boot)
  • started HDDRIVER.PRG from FDD
  • for some reason the COPS.ACC is loaded from C: now... 8O
  • ... and complains that no WDIALOG.PRG was booted (NVDI 3.31 doesn't seem to come with that)
Will now wipe C: and try with NVDI 5.0 again

Arne
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Arne » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:20 am

3rd try with NVDI 5: we got a winner :D
So when it comes to Xaaes than consider that NVDI <> NVDI.

I will try to find my NVDI 4 disks and have another try with them. Not sure if they are still readable.

Thanx Joska :cheers:

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:42 am

@arne
did you use STzip? Better use zip.ttp for unziping stuff on Atari... STzip is old and sometimes is source of problems...

@zamuela
like Joska suggest: in Hatari you need to make harddisk image file and use it as harddrive for Atari instead to using shared host filesystem folder!
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Arne
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Arne » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 am

delete
Last edited by Arne on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arne
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Arne » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 am

delete
Last edited by Arne on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arne
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Arne » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 am

calimero wrote:@arne
did you use STzip? Better use zip.ttp for unziping stuff on Atari.

Yes, STZip 2.6
Anyway: how can zip.ttp put long-filenames into a 8.3 filesystem better than STZIP?

calimero wrote:.. STzip is old and sometimes is source of problems...

But I HATE TTPs. Hey, we got mouse support from the beginning in '85. Why fall back to ancient command lines... :wink:
Even MS-DOS evolved to something more comfortable called Windows...

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:15 am

Arne wrote:But I HATE TTPs. Hey, we got mouse support from the beginning in '85. Why fall back to ancient command lines... :wink:

To be able to unpack archives created after 1998?

Do not use ST-Zip to unpack modern archives. It will only cause problems. You can use one of the GEM frontends for ttp-packers, there are several of them. However, dragging a zip-file to "unzip.ttp" isn't actually using a command line, is it? ;)
Jo Even

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”