MyAES is here!

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Kroll
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MyAES is here!

Postby Kroll » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:45 pm

OL wrote:I hope realtime moving will be better now, I have found in 0.97 a bug introduced in kernel event manager that perhaps could explain this (as I have no issue like this under Aranym I'm not sure of the result but for sure it's a new bug found). Could perhaps fix some crash but nothing relative to ext2 issue

patch file have been updated http://myaes.lutece.net/telechargement/patch097.zip

Olivier

I just checked time delay after clicking the right mouse button on the application in Yoppla task manager on my two computers on Falcon with Radeon graphics card settings are:
"use_videocard_mem = true"
"CT_60_VIDEOCARD = true"
delay is over 1 s.
In the case of Hades daley is less than 1 s, the difference is about 0.5 s., The above settings obviously false
This is a curiosity, I know the difference is insignificant but always :)
What do You think about it ?
I checked and there is no difference in version from 13 September and today on Falcon CT60 and Hades

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:20 am

Kroll wrote:
OL wrote:I hope realtime moving will be better now, I have found in 0.97 a bug introduced in kernel event manager that perhaps could explain this (as I have no issue like this under Aranym I'm not sure of the result but for sure it's a new bug found). Could perhaps fix some crash but nothing relative to ext2 issue

patch file have been updated http://myaes.lutece.net/telechargement/patch097.zip

Olivier

I just checked time delay after clicking the right mouse button on the application in Yoppla task manager on my two computers on Falcon with Radeon graphics card settings are:
"use_videocard_mem = true"
"CT_60_VIDEOCARD = true"
delay is over 1 s.
In the case of Hades daley is less than 1 s, the difference is about 0.5 s., The above settings obviously false
This is a curiosity, I know the difference is insignificant but always :)
What do You think about it ?
I checked and there is no difference in version from 13 September and today on Falcon CT60 and Hades

I don't know why there is delay on CT60, I have not. I suppose even with new masreal.prg moving window in real time is not better?

I continue to work on delay on CT60
OL

gstoll
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gstoll » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:04 pm

OL wrote: only TOS with patched xbios can work, when you call an xbios function if this function doesn't exist TOS just return a value different from 0 and so no crash but only for value between 0 to 127 !!!!

My info is that the Milan TOS return the function number, if the function doesn't exist. All number not only betwenn 0 to 127. A problem is when a other program is in the XBIOS trap, then nobody knows what will return.

patbud
Atarian
Atarian

Postby patbud » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Good evening I am a bit a newbie to MyAES could someone explain me how to install it please ? does it run under plain TOS 4.02 (falcon 14meg with falshcard and FPU)... thanks a lot

Kroll
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Kroll » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:55 pm

OL wrote:
I don't know why there is delay on CT60, I have not. I suppose even with new masreal.prg moving window in real time is not better?

I continue to work on delay on CT60

Yes it is true,
I checked this and there is no difference between older and newer version of masreal.prg

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:41 pm

patbud wrote:Good evening I am a bit a newbie to MyAES could someone explain me how to install it please ? does it run under plain TOS 4.02 (falcon 14meg with falshcard and FPU)... thanks a lot

Hello,

MyAES not run in plain TOS, it need Mint

Probably the most simple way to install it if you have no Mint configuration is to copy file from this small configuration:

http://myaes.lutece.net/telechargement/myhatari.zip

From the folder "drive" copy in your C folder:
"apfolder" folder
"mint" folder
"tools" folder

from "drive/gemsys" folder copy in your "gemsys" folder:
"myaes" folder
"toswin2" folder

and finally from "drive/auto" folder copy in your auto folder:
mint000.prg

or perhaps more sure use a boot loader to choose wich application to run in your auto folder to be sure fix possible start issue.

Should work as it is. Memory free should be around 8MB
OL

patbud
Atarian
Atarian

Postby patbud » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:13 pm

merci beaucoup OL !

although I'm french, the forum is in english so this is the langage I use here. Just a suggestion : what is scary coming back to the atari world after 25 years of sleep (more or less) is to see the dispersion between the different mint versions, the same thing for the AES and for the front ends such as jinnee, magic, teradesk etc without mentioning the many incompatibilities between all those softwares. From what I have seen of myAES, my opinion is that it's good basis for a new inclusive OS, together with Emutos (even I think nobody cares at Atari about using a TOS from 1993, and even so it would be a very bad commercial move on their behalf to go against it). Otherwise what's left of the atari world will slowly die with its users...

It also means that, although it's fun to boost a falcon (a bit like tuning a car), it will hardly reach a decent speed for new usages. On the hand, the amiga world, with the vampire board, is making a clear move towards a new generation. Here some walls are still to be destroyed and limitations by-passed (screen resolutions and so on).

Anyway thanks a lot for your answer,

amitiés

PB

Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Neurotoxic » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:04 am

patbud wrote:although I'm french, the forum is in english so this is the langage I use here. Just a suggestion : what is scary coming back to the atari world after 25 years of sleep (more or less) is to see the dispersion between the different mint versions, the same thing for the AES and for the front ends such as jinnee, magic, teradesk etc without mentioning the many incompatibilities between all those softwares. From what I have seen of myAES, my opinion is that it's good basis for a new inclusive OS, together with Emutos (even I think nobody cares at Atari about using a TOS from 1993, and even so it would be a very bad commercial move on their behalf to go against it). Otherwise what's left of the atari world will slowly die with its users...

It also means that, although it's fun to boost a falcon (a bit like tuning a car), it will hardly reach a decent speed for new usages. On the hand, the amiga world, with the vampire board, is making a clear move towards a new generation. Here some walls are still to be destroyed and limitations by-passed (screen resolutions and so on).

I share your opinion about the diversity of operating systems for TOS computers. But the faults were made in the past. If you take a look at today than there's only MiNT that's still in development as a multitasking system. Concerning the AES there's only XaAES as a part of MiNT that is still developed. As an alternative there's MyAES. MyAES is pretty cool but still it doesn't reach the stability and compatibility of XaAES. XaAES is much faster concerning all the realtime stuff but MyAES has a nicer look. 8)

The atari developers often didn't unite and a lot of them did their own stuff because they didn't share their opinions. So we 've got a lot of different software for TOS today. I don't think that's bad but for the future it would be nice if more developers could join each other, I think. Looking at the current hardware we' ve got the Firebee that's a really nice computer. It's supporting TOS and MiNT. You can't compare it to a current PC. It's much to slow but for a lot of GEM applications it's a very fast computer. But the community isn't that enthusiastic about the Firebee due to its coldfire cpu and some incompatibilities with old 68k software. I think the Firebee is the right step into the future made for future gem applications. MyAES is such an application and it supports the Firebee. :D Looking at our Amiga friends you may recognize that they 've got current state of the art powerpc computers and a lot of software delevopment for their computers. We are far far away from that. So I'm glad that there are guys like Olivier Landemarre who does a really good work by supporting users and trying to fix bugs that are reported by the users.

I'm not sure which way our TOS platform will go. Is the Firebee some kind of a fight of one's last stand? Will it be a pure retro platform in the future with no further developments anymore? MyAES does support old ST computers and the newest clones as well. On one hand that's very good on the other hand it would be better for some new applications not to try to reach a compatibility with every TOS computer that was build.
520 ST(M) (TOS 1.02), Falcon030 (16 MHz, 16 MB RAM, CF-Card, MiNT & MyAES), Milan040 (25 MHz, 48 MB RAM, EasyMiNT 1.90), Firebee, PowerMac G5 Late 2005 (2 x 2,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.5), iMac 4K Late 2015 (intel Core i7 4 x 3,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.11.6), IBM XT SFD (640 KB RAM, DR DOS 6.0), Compaq LTE 5300 (Pentium/133 MHz, DR-DOS 7.03), AT-PC (Cyrix 6x86L/200 MHz, Windows 98 SE/MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 am

Guys, I beg you, keep your Vampire opinions in the respective threads. I guess we have seen enough discussions on this topic in all sorts of unrelated threads.

patbud
Atarian
Atarian

Postby patbud » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 pm

sorry Mikro, something like MyAES quickly leads to other expectations...

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 pm

For realtime issue, I want to share with you what I expect and what I have

What I expect is to have same speed I was able to have on CT60 with video card on this video:
http://myaes.lutece.net/telechargement/ ... s096ok.mp4

And what unfortunately I have on same configuration here:
http://myaes.lutece.net/telechargement/ ... 097bad.mp4

For compatibility issue, most are link to the use of form_do function, I not plane to fix this, MyAES goal is to not lock at any time the screen and this function is clearly uncompatible with such function, it is used on old software, there is a function include in MyAES some software are able to work with it some other no, such software generally are designed for single TOS not for nultitask system. For other bugs I try to fix it when there is request. 0.97 looks not mature I have done so many changes this 2 last years, but I'm not far to have finished it.

Let me some weeks to fix all

Olivier
OL

Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Neurotoxic » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:42 am

OL wrote:For realtime issue, I want to share with you what I expect and what I have

What I expect is to have same speed I was able to have on CT60 with video card on this video:

For compatibility issue, most are link to the use of form_do function, I not plane to fix this, MyAES goal is to not lock at any time the screen and this function is clearly uncompatible with such function, it is used on old software, there is a function include in MyAES some software are able to work with it some other no, such software generally are designed for single TOS not for nultitask system. For other bugs I try to fix it when there is request. 0.97 looks not mature I have done so many changes this 2 last years, but I'm not far to have finished it.

Olivier

In the first video the realtime stuff of MyAES is as fast as the realtime stuff when using XaAES on my Milan. The second video represents the situation on my Milan when using MyAES and turning on the realtime stuff. I don't know why XaAES is much faster on my Milan concerning the realtime stuff?

I won't agree with you about MyAES 0.97. I've only got the problem with the realtime stuff but I think it's due to my hardware that's not supported by MyAES? I think MyAES 0.97 is a finished version. It's works very well on my Milan. Much better then version 0.96. There were many redraw issues in version 0.96. So MyAES 0.96 wasn't useable on my Milan due to the redraw issues. Despite the redraw issues in MyAES 0.96 the realtime stuff was as slow as in version 0.97 on my Milan. MyAES 0.97 works very well for me and a lot of problems I had with the predecessor are gone. No redraw issues anymore. I only had a problem when using Atari Works. All the other stuff is working very well with MyAES 0.97. Anyway you did a great work, I think!
520 ST(M) (TOS 1.02), Falcon030 (16 MHz, 16 MB RAM, CF-Card, MiNT & MyAES), Milan040 (25 MHz, 48 MB RAM, EasyMiNT 1.90), Firebee, PowerMac G5 Late 2005 (2 x 2,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.5), iMac 4K Late 2015 (intel Core i7 4 x 3,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.11.6), IBM XT SFD (640 KB RAM, DR DOS 6.0), Compaq LTE 5300 (Pentium/133 MHz, DR-DOS 7.03), AT-PC (Cyrix 6x86L/200 MHz, Windows 98 SE/MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:08 am

OL wrote:For compatibility issue, most are link to the use of form_do function, I not plane to fix this, MyAES goal is to not lock at any time the screen and this function is clearly uncompatible with such function,

In XaAES form_do does not block any other AES clients. The dialog is placed within a window and can be freely moved around like any other window. Of course, the application that calls form_co won't receive messages while the dialog is open, just like in TOS. XaAES copes with this by redrawing any dirty windows in grey. It works remarkably well.

OL wrote: it is used on old software, there is a function include in MyAES some software are able to work with it some other no, such software generally are designed for single TOS not for nultitask system.

form_do is the only way AES can do dialogs, thus it's used in tons of applications. True, most of these were written before multitasking was available, but this does not mean that the applications are useless. Even more "recent" stuff (like Atari Works) used them. To be honest I use this function even nowadays. Simple, one-dialog applications (like the setup-tools I've created for the Firebee and VanillaMiNT) are *very* easy to make using form_do, without the need for any supporting libraries.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 pm

joska wrote:
OL wrote:For compatibility issue, most are link to the use of form_do function, I not plane to fix this, MyAES goal is to not lock at any time the screen and this function is clearly uncompatible with such function,

In XaAES form_do does not block any other AES clients. The dialog is placed within a window and can be freely moved around like any other window. Of course, the application that calls form_co won't receive messages while the dialog is open, just like in TOS. XaAES copes with this by redrawing any dirty windows in grey. It works remarkably well.

This is what do MyAES too except looks not so good, perhaps because I don't like at all this call because it is blocking application that call the form_do so impossible to redraw in theory the content of other windows of this application. It's more than 10 years I have not look at this function, perhaps I should rewrite it for 0.98 version!

joska wrote:
OL wrote: it is used on old software, there is a function include in MyAES some software are able to work with it some other no, such software generally are designed for single TOS not for nultitask system.

form_do is the only way AES can do dialogs, thus it's used in tons of applications. True, most of these were written before multitasking was available, but this does not mean that the applications are useless. Even more "recent" stuff (like Atari Works) used them. To be honest I use this function even nowadays. Simple, one-dialog applications (like the setup-tools I've created for the Firebee and VanillaMiNT) are *very* easy to make using form_do, without the need for any supporting libraries.

No it is not the only way to do dialog since TOS4 (even if in this case the implementation is not enough) I want to speak to toolbar, just add toolbar in window and you have your dialog box, managed by system. This is simple.
OL

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Neurotoxic wrote:
OL wrote:For realtime issue, I want to share with you what I expect and what I have

Olivier

In the first video the realtime stuff of MyAES is as fast as the realtime stuff when using XaAES on my Milan. The second video represents the situation on my Milan when using MyAES and turning on the realtime stuff. I don't know why XaAES is much faster on my Milan concerning the realtime stuff?

I won't agree with you about MyAES 0.97. I've only got the problem with the realtime stuff but I think it's due to my hardware that's not supported by MyAES? I think MyAES 0.97 is a finished version. It's works very well on my Milan. Much better then version 0.96. There were many redraw issues in version 0.96. So MyAES 0.96 wasn't useable on my Milan due to the redraw issues. Despite the redraw issues in MyAES 0.96 the realtime stuff was as slow as in version 0.97 on my Milan. MyAES 0.97 works very well for me and a lot of problems I had with the predecessor are gone. No redraw issues anymore. I only had a problem when using Atari Works. All the other stuff is working very well with MyAES 0.97. Anyway you did a great work, I think!

Oh no it is not link to your hardware, this is MyAES issue, perhaps in your case because in all case I copy the content of the window in a buffer before do the copy on screen at new position, this is not always need but I have prefer the most simple solution, but I don't think it is this.
I'm just surprised because under Hatari even in 16Mhz emulation it is not so bad, not like on this bad demonstration
OL

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:57 pm

OL wrote:No it is not the only way to do dialog since TOS4 (even if in this case the implementation is not enough) I want to speak to toolbar, just add toolbar in window and you have your dialog box, managed by system. This is simple.

Almost no application use toolbars. The reason is obvious - toolbars are very limited compared to even form_do, not to mention most windowed dialog libraries. XaAES has had extended toolbar functionality for 15 years or so but yet no-one has used it to my knowledge.

For any modern AES to be successful it has to support legacy software in the best possible way. E.g. there hasn't been a new editor or word processor since the 90's, and most likely there won't be any more either. So it's better to improve the experience with existing software than inventing new features that unfortunately won't be exploited.

But then again, we do this for fun so in the end the best features are the ones the author enjoys making :)
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:26 pm

joska wrote:
OL wrote:No it is not the only way to do dialog since TOS4 (even if in this case the implementation is not enough) I want to speak to toolbar, just add toolbar in window and you have your dialog box, managed by system. This is simple.

Almost no application use toolbars. The reason is obvious - toolbars are very limited compared to even form_do, not to mention most windowed dialog libraries. XaAES has had extended toolbar functionality for 15 years or so but yet no-one has used it to my knowledge.

For any modern AES to be successful it has to support legacy software in the best possible way. E.g. there hasn't been a new editor or word processor since the 90's, and most likely there won't be any more either. So it's better to improve the experience with existing software than inventing new features that unfortunately won't be exploited.

But then again, we do this for fun so in the end the best features are the ones the author enjoys making :)

In 1993 so 24 years ago (!!!) I was writing my first gem library, already there was not locking dialog box and I was not the first one to do it, there was several library available already (big (perhaps not a good example!), windom, cflib...), I never use form_do, this is so strange, so far from windows idea

Just my point of view. But I agree if it is possible to do something why not but I'm not in the past but more in futur. Up to version 1.0 it is focus on new feature and compatibility. After if I continue it will more focus on new capacity only.
OL

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:31 pm

OL wrote:
joska wrote:

In 1993 so 24 years ago (!!!) I was writing my first gem library, already there was not locking dialog box and I was not the first one to do it, there was several library available already (big (perhaps not a good example!), windom, cflib...), I never use form_do, this is so strange, so far from windows idea

Just my point of view. But I agree if it is possible to do something why not but I'm not in the past but more in futur. Up to version 1.0 it is focus on new feature and compatibility. After if I continue it will more focus on new capacity only.

I think you just said it quite well. This is for compatibility mostly with older apps instead of future apps. I think any AES should take those legacy apps into consideration even recognizing the deficiency. Maybe a rewrite of that section code could treat the form_do like XaAES does. That has a very elegant solution which would be nice in MyAES. :cheers:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:44 pm

OL wrote:In 1993 so 24 years ago (!!!) I was writing my first gem library, already there was not locking dialog box and I was not the first one to do it, there was several library available already (big (perhaps not a good example!), windom, cflib...),

Correct, in the early 90's the germans started to make som high quality applications with windowed dialogs using libraries like E-Gem, libsys and whatnot. Since then there has been very little new software using form_do, except for some small utilities where this doesn't matter (especially not with an AES with non-blocking form_do). However, the majority of applications were made before this. There is a huge number of applications out there from the "plain GEM applications" era.

OL wrote:but I'm not in the past but more in futur.

The fact that we hang around here and use 90's computers confirms that we're all living in the past ;)
Jo Even

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Neurotoxic wrote:

Olivier

Can you test this newer version:
http://myaes/telechargement/testmyaes.zip

I think realtime is better (cross finger)
OL

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:52 pm

joska wrote:The fact that we hang around here and use 90's computers confirms that we're all living in the past ;)

The fact that one is trying to make it contemporary looking, updating with contemporary pieces of hardware etc is trying to get away from the past.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Neurotoxic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 am

For a bright new future of the TOS platform it needs new applications. A contempory desktop like zDesk. An office application supporting all common standards and formats. An internet browser that also supports all common standards. An email client and much more. It was very nice if the TOS platform could reach the look and feel and quality of Mac OS 9 and its applications. That would be a great step into the right direction. Afer the release of the Firebee I thougt that this might happen and a dream could come true. But it just didn't. There is Netsurf, we've got MyAES and a few other nice new applications but no great breakthrough. So I think the compatibility with old applications is necessary even for a new AES. However I think that MyAES is a right Step into the future. It might become a very good looking and very useable AES even for a computer that might be nearly 30 years old. So younger people may take a look at it and they might be astonished what such an old machine could do. We also might use all our old applications like Calamus, Papyrus, Texel etc.. I think that's the future of the TOS platform.

Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Neurotoxic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:34 pm

OL wrote:Can you test this newer version:

The download link is a little bit wrong. I think you've forgotten something. But I managed it to download the new version and I tested it. :D It's a little bit better when moving and resizing windows on the desktop. In an application it's still a big problem especially when resizing windows. It's still far away from your good video and very close to your bad video. But don't think to much about the realtime stuff. I think it's nice to have but it's not essential for me. Instead of the realtime stuff a resizeable file selector and a working mouse wheel within the file selector would be great. I like the MyAES file selector much more than the one of XaAES. 8)

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Neurotoxic wrote:
OL wrote:Can you test this newer version:

The download link is a little bit wrong. I think you've forgotten something. But I managed it to download the new version and I tested it. :D It's a little bit better when moving and resizing windows on the desktop. In an application it's still a big problem especially when resizing windows. It's still far away from your good video and very close to your bad video. But don't think to much about the realtime stuff. I think it's nice to have but it's not essential for me. Instead of the realtime stuff a resizeable file selector and a working mouse wheel within the file selector would be great. I like the MyAES file selector much more than the one of XaAES. 8)

Yes, the link is wrong. Should be http://myaes.lutece.net/telechargement/testmyaes.zip

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Neurotoxic wrote:For a bright new future of the TOS platform it needs new applications. A contempory desktop like zDesk. An office application supporting all common standards and formats. An internet browser that also supports all common standards. An email client and much more. It was very nice if the TOS platform could reach the look and feel and quality of Mac OS 9 and its applications. That would be a great step into the right direction. Afer the release of the Firebee I thougt that this might happen and a dream could come true. But it just didn't. There is Netsurf, we've got MyAES and a few other nice new applications but no great breakthrough. So I think the compatibility with old applications is necessary even for a new AES. However I think that MyAES is a right Step into the future. It might become a very good looking and very useable AES even for a computer that might be nearly 30 years old. So younger people may take a look at it and they might be astonished what such an old machine could do. We also might use all our old applications like Calamus, Papyrus, Texel etc.. I think that's the future of the TOS platform.

Of course Mdesk is not yet mature but do you try it? You can find it in folder gemsys/myaes/mdesk
it is not nice as zdesk but not need a lot of memory to run, it's just to see not for use yet.

Papyrus is strange looks able to run correctly only under Magic and TOS
OL

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”