Ticking sound from Falcon PSU

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

SILICA
Atarian
Atarian

Ticking sound from Falcon PSU

Postby SILICA » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi, Im new writing in the fórum, have been Reading it a while, I bought the falcon PSU kit for repairing my falcon PSU, but I still get a ticking noise from the PSU and also the 12V blue cable is unstable... it moves up and down from 4V to 8V then I test it with the multimeter, dont know where to
go from here, could the chips on the PSU board be gone? or the resistors? ... All caps are new from the exxos kit, everything looks good.
The PSU did this noise before recapping with the kit, (also the Falcon doesnt start at all, no light, no noise from floppy)...

If anyone have any idea I would be gratefull, want to save this nice machine ;-)

Thanks and have a nice weekend.
Robert

Lynxman
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Ticking sound from Falcon PSU

Postby Lynxman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Ticking sound from PSU maybe is a shortcut between any of the voltage to ground.
If 12V is unstable you should set the Focus on the 12V line.
Maybe testing the PSU with some Resistors (for e.g. 470 Ohm 5W). If no ticking sound anymore, you should chck the Flacon board for shortcut.
If ticking continues ou have to search the shortcut at the PSU.

Please note: the kind of PSU used in the Falcon needs some consumer load for testing.

SILICA
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SILICA » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks, not sure exactly what to test so I send up some pics maybe you can guide me a bit better. Im in no way an expert on this field, can solder and desolder, but when its to testing stuff I have to look up always... I add some pictures with questions, just to clarify, and how could I test the 12V line completely?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the delay ;-)

Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kubik
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kubik » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 am

Actually, a ticking sound from Mac LC means dead PSU, but recapping usually fixes that. I wonder if it's the same here.

SILICA
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SILICA » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:56 am

I have already changed all the caps, with the kit sent from Exxos, it had that ticking noise before I did the recap... Dont know what to do next, could change all the components if you guys think thats the case...

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:06 pm

There is a faulty semiconductor, transistor or and diodes maybe ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Well, contrary to what some people in this forum believe, not every hardware problem can be fixed by recapping. :wink:

Lynxman already asked: Did already isolate the fault to the PSU, i.e. did you try it when it was not connected to the Falcon? (Note that many PSUs need a minimum load on the 5V rail to operate properly, so avoid testing the power supply without any load.)

As for the arrow in your photo: Why do you suspect an inductor to be broken? Usually these are very tough.

Lynxman
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Lynxman » Mon May 01, 2017 9:13 pm

Regarding the second picture.
Yes, it is the 12V line.
The "short" is normal, because it is a coil and the resistance of a coil do not avaoid the multimeter to make beep noise.

Before changing more components you should check the PSU without the Falcon.

SILICA
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SILICA » Tue May 02, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks for all the replies, didnt think its the inductor/coil but just had to ask some with more knowledge, I can desolder the IC's and see if I find similar ones and replace them... will do the same with the rest of components, one by one, i've tried it with a PC Cd-Rom pluged in to the 12V line and Ground... is this ok?.. the supply is not connected to the falcon. Will do when I get rid of the ticking sound ;-)... Is there any need to test the resistors? Will come back with more questions for sure.. Thanks Lynxman I will leave the coil in peace ;-)

SILICA
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SILICA » Fri May 05, 2017 9:22 am

faclon-psu-test.jpg
Resoldering one of the caps, and testing with the CD-Rom drive and now there is no noise, and the CD works, I dont get 12V but 11V, this is ok I suppose no? 11.3, it moves around a bit, depending if I open or close the drawer of the cd-rom... No more noise though and stable 11V-11.3V... Think this supply is now finished. Now I can go for the Falcon board as this doesnt work neither... some caps are wrong for sure... will probably ask you guys about advice on this. Thanks a lot
Robert
:cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri May 05, 2017 3:45 pm

I don't know the specs of the Falcon PSU but 11 V seem a little low to me. Is there any potentiometer to slightly adjust the voltage?

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri May 05, 2017 7:04 pm

The 12V line is very limited at the Falcon PSU. There is not enough ampere. Measure the 5 Volt line ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

SILICA
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SILICA » Tue May 09, 2017 10:22 am

Well in the end the Falcon worked fine with the PSU fix, so Im happy ;-) Is there anything you would do to the Falcon board now that its out of the casing??? Again thanks for all your help. This is now another falcon saved ,-)

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”