Falcon Doom

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Falcon Doom

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:FYI: There's now first version of Hatari profile data post-processor:
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... profile.py

It supports now also DSP profile data (with -d option). Tomorrow I intend to test profiling user programs.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:
Eero Tamminen wrote:FYI: There's now first version of Hatari profile data post-processor:
It supports now also DSP profile data (with -d option). Tomorrow I intend to test profiling user programs.

That's great - I'll rebuild Hatari and do some more tests with the latest code.

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:42 pm

Doug, the new test version of Bad Mood is a bust on my CT2 Falcy, sadly. The old 3.xx version works fine, interestingly, offering a base frame rate of around 13-20 frames per second on Doom and Heretic wadfiles which is pretty playable. (Slightly faster on the Doom wad.)

From a very poor memory, the CT2 upgrade left something off on the DSP IRQ side of things, which affected a few programs (Digital Tracker and Digital Home studio?) This is regardless of whether it is run in turbo mode or 16 MHz. Here's a link to Rodolphe's documentation which might provide some insights.

http://rodolphe.czuba.free.fr/CT2/english/welcome.htm

So there may be a demand for a cpu only or cpu/fpu version after all?

It might be interesting to find out what the story is from someone with a Nemesis or Phantom type overclocker, as BM sped-up nicely back in the day, with one of those in play. :D

On the other hand, it does work on my other Falcon with similar values as previously reported, once I've remembered to switch over to standard mode from CT60 :mrgreen:
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:57 pm

CiH wrote:Doug, the new test version of Bad Mood is a bust on my CT2 Falcy, sadly. The old 3.xx version works fine, interestingly, offering a base frame rate of around 13-20 frames per second on Doom and Heretic wadfiles which is pretty playable.

While working on improvements for the base machine these builds won't work on accelerated CPU's - I have to build with a special switch to make it 'accelerator safe' at some extra cost to a base system. I'll produce both kinds of builds in the end but for now just focusing on 16MHz...

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 pm

While working on improvements for the base machine these builds won't work on accelerated CPU's - I have to build with a special switch to make it 'accelerator safe' at some extra cost to a base system. I'll produce both kinds of builds in the end but for now just focusing on 16MHz...

Fair do's, thanks for the heads-up :D
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am

CiH wrote:Fair do's, thanks for the heads-up :D

Sorry I should have said earlier :-)

I figure if a 16MHz Falcon can run Doom then all the accelerators will do the same and better, but 16MHz is the challenge for now and some of that does involve optimisations which assume a lot about speed ratios between DSP and CPU. The two should be kept busy as much as possible, with minimal handshaking and waiting going on at either side. On a 16MHz machine it's possible to handshake only at the start of a large piece of work, and have the two chips run freely synchronous with each other. On a machine with funny clock speeds at one side or the other, this breaks. Handshaking is needed for more (or all) exchanges. So I set up a 'compatibility level' setting which enables more or less of these handshaking events to benefit a base system, based on a criticality measurement for each handshake. It makes a big difference for some of the drawing processes.

Running a 'full sized' display (320x168) on a base 030/DSP system remains an interesting unknown but it's fun to find out :-) the project edges forward in small steps as time permits...

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:53 pm

Small addendum to the FPU thread...

I just remembered that the 68882 has a 'fast' lower precision version of multiply/divide alongside the normal slower, high precision version. Which seems like a useful thing for realtime graphics, until you discover these went missing on the 68040 & 68060. They are one of the 'software emulated' opcodes on those later chips... Not Motorola's brightest moment perhaps :-) (or they ran out of silicon and had no choice but to preserve the higher precision one)

So for best performance on a 68882 and assuming there are enough of those operations to make a difference, it probably would mean another separate build for 882 / 040 & 060 machines to avoid the emulation cost. Nice...

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 pm

^
hm... How fast pmdoom run on afterburner (only 040 accel. for Falcon??) or on ct60? If it fast enough than there is no (solid) point to make another doom for 040/060 falcons... (except in case that there will be some new game that exclusivly work on badmood ;))

I would make badmood as fast as possible on stock 030 falcon with fpu.
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:53 pm

calimero wrote:I would make badmood as fast as possible on stock 030 falcon with fpu.

Yes I think that will be the aim, although it should function well on accelerated machines too.

I made a little more progress although much time has been spent experimenting/testing new Hatari profiling capabilities to help analyse/optimize things.

Soon I'll try Mikro's suggestion of DSP texturing, and at least one variant on that (both truecolour textures on the DSP itself and 8bit DSP textures with CPU/datacache lookups) - and some experiments with modified CPU texturing for better data cache performance. Some quick tests already show an impressive speedup on a real Falcon with tiny textures and high data-cache hit rate, suggesting MipMaps could work if the selector is small/fast and effective enough....

kristjanga
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kristjanga » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:38 am

just a thought
perhaps it would be a good idea to make a new threat about this with the name Bad Mood
and move the news of the progress of Bad Mood over there

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:00 am

kristjanga wrote:just a thought
perhaps it would be a good idea to make a new threat about this with the name Bad Mood
and move the news of the progress of Bad Mood over there

Yep it should get moved to a new thread. Will do so for the next update.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:46 pm

So updates to Bad Mood specifically will surface here in future:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=24561

Social Media

Return to “Games”