640x480

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

640x480

Postby christos » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:26 pm

As we all know most games for the falcon run @320x240xtrue colour. However at the time most pc games would come @640x480x256. That resolution in 32 - bit colour though was used up to 2 years ago for pc games. The question is why not on the falcon? I suspect that it might be very slow on the machine.

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:02 am

I knew this situation when I used games on my Falcon many years ago. I was one of the fiew coders who made falcon games in other screen modes than 320 x 200. "Enemy War II" for example needs 800 x 608 in Falcon True Color, "Stolly" and "Solitair Deluxe" need 640 x 480 at 256 colors, "Boulder Smash Falcon" runs with 432 x 432 in Falcon True color.
Last edited by Omikronman on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:18 pm

Your games look very impressive. I notice that not all are downloadable. Do they retain a shareware or commercial status? Is starraider supposed to be a clone of the 8-bit game?
Anyway excellent artwork :)

Womble
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Womble » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:01 am

I wonder if its because those folk who had a falcon for games would probably not have stumped up for a VGA monitor and would have come up from the ST line. Those folks who paid for a VGA were probably the professionals and not in the market for games. Just a thought.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:21 am

I think that that wouldn't be true Womble. Anyone who had information about the machine would go for a svga due to the fact that anything beyond st med is unusable at an rgb. I remember I had bought mine with a mono monitor (thinking it was an rgb one) to later discover, with happiness I have to add, it was a fujitec svga. Later replaced by a viewsonic which after all these years works perfectly with anything I made it do playing with blow up and super videl. I kind of think it was mainly for two reasons. First because the high color mode was impressive and because there were a lot of very skilled artists @ 320x240. I also remember reading that the rgb is much faster on the falcon than svga. A demo coder can be of assistance here. In the same text I think I read also that the rgb speed was surpassed when the 100Hz mode for vga was discovered or created, you choose the verb. However having seen 100Hz demos (and being totally enchanted by the _ demo) I can see that it is not suitable for games.

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:21 am

Hi Christos!

Most of my games are free. The only two I still sell with commercial status are "Enemy War II" and "Q-Blue plus". Starraider has unfortunately never been finished. To get a experience of what Starraider whould have been please view the Video. The Starraider project has a size of more than 20 mbyte, that was really BIG and the beginning only. The source code was 50 Kbytes small at this point and I had another 900 K free for use until the compiler would have been unable to make a working code...=)

Markus

Social Media

Return to “Games”