All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Porting SOTB to the Falcon

Postby stormy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Zarchos wrote:Hey guys you know what ?
The Falcon is going to leave the desk to free some more room for the Archies and the Q68.

Bit of an over-reaction?
Last edited by stormy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Steady on people!

I've seen threads like this in the past and my view has always been that we all get our own kicks from our hobbies. While some people may not agree with the merits of other people's projects, that does not mean those projects have no merit.

If you want to help Zarchos achieve the goals he has set out for himself, then support him. If it's not for you, then quietly move on. The guy simply wanted to dip his toe into Falcon development by taking something he's familiar with as his starting point to get going. All you've done now is demoralised the guy and the likelihood is that we've all potentially lost a new potential Falcon developer.

Well done.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

A similar thread a little while ago, which also did not end well.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32772
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:17 am

Farewell Atari developments.
I choose the Q68 to learn 68000, and this machine only.
At least people on the ql-forum showed enthusiasm and I already have a partner.

Xavier Louis Tardy aka Zarchos
Falcon, Atari 1040 STE, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amigas, Archimedes, RISC PCs, Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QLs inc. Q68, and more !
2200 m2 museum on its way https://youtu.be/xjB6_Ez-3BA
Shorter video here : https://youtu.be/UEZisfkcN1Y

Currently porting SOTB to the Archie : https://www.youtube.com/user/Archimedes75009/featured

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 am

Zarchos wrote:Farewell Atari developments.
I choose the Q68 to learn 68000, and this machine only.
At least people on the ql-forum showed enthusiasm and I already have a partner.

Xavier Louis Tardy aka Zarchos

Easy on the drama there, sailor :-D
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:33 pm

mzry wrote:
Zarchos wrote:Hey guys you know what ?
The Falcon is going to leave the desk to free some more room for the Archies and the Q68.

Bit of an over-reaction?

Well, instead of leaving it around to do nothing, if a little bit of criticism on what you wanted to port makes you just give up and move along, at least donate/sell the Falcon to someone who will use it!
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Wed May 08, 2019 1:08 pm

wongck wrote:
mrbombermillzy wrote:If you are interested, I can dig out the library...Ive actually forgotten the name of it now! lol

most likely "Graphics Library for 'C' Beginners" or just GLCB.ZIP as found in most FTP sites.

Hi fellows;

I am doing some experiences with GODLib and GLCB and I would like to know if the size of the sprites must be always 16x16? For instance I have a laser sprite that is 1x8 and some enemies sprites that are 24x16. How can define them?

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mrbombermillzy » Wed May 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Its been a while since Ive used GLCB, but I believe the Render_GFX() function has the posx/posy variables which dictate the image size. Have a look for any vars. that are x/y pos and have the value =16 :)

While we are here.... whatever happened to poor old Zarchos?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri May 10, 2019 7:42 am

mrbombermillzy wrote:While we are here.... whatever happened to poor old Zarchos?

He seems to be focussing on his Archimedes port of SOTB from what I can gather:

Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Sun May 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Didn't he get pissed off and bail out because everyone said they'd prefer if he worked on a different game to port, since while Beast looks and sounds fantastic, is kind of a demo pretending to be a game?

To me it'd be more impressive if he was attempting to port it to the standard STe, since it should be capable of having a proper port instead of the ST port which was limited to 512kb and seemingly only half-assed due to the decline of the ST as a platform.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Sun May 12, 2019 7:38 pm

I remember reading somewhere that the developer got it working smoothly using pre-computed tables but needed 1MB RAM but that would have hit sales...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 8GB HDD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation, PDA's and more!

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon May 13, 2019 7:49 pm

From Zarchos YouTube description:

Better watch in HD
Click 'SHOW MORE' below to read everything.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note an even further enhanced port in 65536 colour screen mode could have reached your Atari Falcon too (it is a chunky mode, as are all Archie screen modes), but, unfortunately some morons-who-know-better-than-everybody decided for the entire Falcon community this project was too shitty for their great machine : viewtopic....
Most of the stupid comments and insults written by the Atari freaks have been removed by the moderators, but I have read them beforehand anyway.
I had some other projects in mind for the Falcon, to code along the Archie and RISC PC versions, they will never see the light of day (on the Falcon).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He really can not realize that his attitude, at first place, was way off civilized discussion.
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 pm

The funny thing is that if i remember correctly the falcon can't do 1vbl horizontal scrolling in hi color. Not enough bandwidth.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Mon May 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Yes it can. Hardware scrolling has nothing to do with the bandwidth. The only restriction is that you have to set the screen address to an even word, so for horizontal scrolling in TrueColor you can't scroll an odd number of pixels per VBL, i.e., 2 pixels per VBL are the minimum.
Last edited by dhedberg on Mon May 13, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon May 13, 2019 11:37 pm

calimero wrote:He really can not realize that his attitude, at first place, was way off civilized discussion.

It's simple really..... people just cannot be told that they are wrong, and so those people just want to prove that they are right.
To prove in the endgame that they are correct and are therefore the greatest, greater than those that said they are wrong.
An ego thing. Nothing else.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 am

wongck wrote:
calimero wrote:He really can not realize that his attitude, at first place, was way off civilized discussion.

It's simple really..... people just cannot be told that they are wrong, and so those people just want to prove that they are right.
To prove in the endgame that they are correct and are therefore the greatest, greater than those that said they are wrong.
An ego thing. Nothing else.

Exactly it. I prefer it when they do prove people wrong and produce something we can all enjoy instead of what happened here, which is he just buggered off to do something else.

He became wounded by just some small criticisms too.
Edit: shouldn't type on my phone...
Last edited by leech on Tue May 14, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue May 14, 2019 6:09 am

dhedberg wrote:Yes it can. Hardware scrolling has nothing to do with the bandwidth. The only restriction is that you have to set the screen address to an even word, so for horizontal scrolling in TrueColor you can't scroll an odd number of pixels per VBL, i.e., 2 pixels per VBL are the minimum.

Actually, even this can be worked around at no cost -- don't know if he was the first one to discover it but I saw a great trick by Patrice Mandin in his Street Figther demo/port - using the Videl horizontal setting registers to simulate the missing word.

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Tue May 14, 2019 8:14 am

mikro wrote:
dhedberg wrote:Yes it can. Hardware scrolling has nothing to do with the bandwidth. The only restriction is that you have to set the screen address to an even word, so for horizontal scrolling in TrueColor you can't scroll an odd number of pixels per VBL, i.e., 2 pixels per VBL are the minimum.

Actually, even this can be worked around at no cost -- don't know if he was the first one to discover it but I saw a great trick by Patrice Mandin in his Street Figther demo/port - using the Videl horizontal setting registers to simulate the missing word.

there are a lot so called "myths" about the Falcon.
would be cool to prepare a FAQ about them
Lynx II / Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 am

mikro wrote:

Cool. I wasn't aware of that. We used TrueColor for Willie's Adventures in the very first prototypes, but later switched to 8-bitplanes as the Falcon is simply just too slow for a 16-bit chunky mode. Atari should have kept it 8-bit. What I've heard they did have an 8-bit chunky once but removed/replaced it with 16-bit. 16-bit is (were) of course great for showing images and image processing, but for games/demos an 8-bit chunky would have been awesome!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Tue May 14, 2019 10:16 am

mikro wrote:

Patric Mandin port/demo of Street Fighter for FALCON? :)
Where that can be downloaded?
(I see STe version but never version for Falcon)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Tue May 14, 2019 12:39 pm

calimero wrote:
mikro wrote:

http://pmandin.atari.org/en/index.php?p ... ngines-sf2

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Tue May 14, 2019 1:30 pm

christos wrote:
calimero wrote:
mikro wrote:Actually, even this can be worked around at no cost -- don't know if he was the first one to discover it but I saw a great trick by Patrice Mandin in his Street Figther demo/port - using the Videl horizontal setting registers to simulate the missing word.

http://pmandin.atari.org/en/index.php?p ... ngines-sf2

I know this demo.
I get impression that Mikro talks about some special Falcon version...

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue May 14, 2019 1:43 pm

calimero wrote:I know this demo. I get impression that Mikro talks about some special Falcon version...

There is a special Falcon binary in the archive, that doesn't qualify? :)

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm

My mistake!
I only watch that demo on YouTube. I will try it on my Falcon.

So Falcon can freely scroll entire screen per pixel i! truecolor? Nice :)

And you can copy around 2MB/s of data per second? It is something like 1/3 of screen at 50fps.

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 pm

calimero wrote:My mistake!
I only watch that demo on YouTube. I will try it on my Falcon.

So Falcon can freely scroll entire screen per pixel i! truecolor? Nice :)

And you can copy around 2MB/s of data per second? It is something like 1/3 of screen at 50fps.

In case of Falcon, the CPU can copy ~ 3,3MB/s, and if I remember correctly the BLiTTER copy: ~ 2,9MB/s
Lynx II / Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Social Media

Return to “Games”