Scumvm

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

MadMax2023
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Scumvm

Postby MadMax2023 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:32 pm

I tested again last scummvm released by Mikro, but there should be something wrong somewhere in my set-up.
Performance is so far from ancient releases by Keith (and it wasn't something really amazing).
I set CT60 cache to "normal, no copyback alert".
With Day of tentacle color are weird, it's so slow that it is unplayable, song is a disaster.
Maybe i don't use the most adapted version os the game (pc version).

I will try again later.

jury

Postby jury » Fri May 15, 2015 4:40 am

MadMax2023 wrote:it's so slow that it is unplayable, song is a disaster.
Maybe i don't use the most adapted version os the game (pc version).

Have you set sound to 11 or even 8 KHz? I will repeat, I also had terrible performance in this game, but when lowered sound setting, the performance was absolutely normal, even the sound finally sounded fine :)
Have you tested only this game? As most games I tested ( about 8 ) performed well without doing anything, just Day of Tentacles and one more game needed special treatement ( like lowering sound setting )

MadMax2023 wrote:With Day of tentacle color are weird

If it goes for colors, its not only Day of Tentacle, I have compared colors in couple of other games and in all of those colors were a little weird, but the explanation is simple:

mikro wrote:I must find time for both ScummVM and OpenTTD again, damn it.

Palette in ScummVM is seriously broken

And after above post there were no releases, so we just have to patiently wait for MiKRO :)

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:32 pm

mikro wrote:I can confirm that Olivier's changes do make a difference. So here you are, my build with Olivier's SDL: http://ge.tt/7nBDSJD2?c

I'm really happy to see this, the change will benefit for OpenTTD for sure too. All you have to do is ask :)

So if you guys like it, please test it and then, same as with OpenTTD, I can make a proper release. I do it not because I expect hundreds of fans but as soon as I release the official build, I don't want to mess with it anymore, so this is the only chance to force me to do some additional changes to both projects.

And of course - Olivier thanks for your contribution!

Hi,
I've just found out how to play the games at almost full speed with music on a CT60 with the build from your link (the 68020 one). :D

First, you have to setup Scummvm like stated before: in the options menu of the launcher, under the GFX tab, setup Graphics mode to normal/no scaling, and tick the box next to Fullscreen.
Then, exit the options menu and add your games. On the Audio tab.

Now, go back to the options menu. On the Audio tab, set Preferred Dev to No music make sure output rate to 8 Khz (very important). Exit that menu by clicking OK, and launch any game (doesn't matter).

The game should run fast but without music obviously.
Now, hit CTRL + F5 to bring up the internal Scummvm menu. Click on Return to launcher.

Go back to the options menu, and now on the Audio tab, set Preferred Dev to Default. Start the game you wish to play, and it should run exactly as fast as before, but WITH music enabled.

I just did that trick 4 times in a row to test it, with different sets of games, it worked every time (on F030/CT60 under TOS 4.04). You have to do that trick every time you start Scummvm though.

EDIT: it seems that when you start Scummvm, output rate must already be at 8Khz or the trick wont work. So if you have to change it to that value, exit & restart it.
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mikro » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:15 am

Are you sure it doesn't work if you set the device to Default *and* 8 kHz from the beginning?

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:54 pm

mikro wrote:Are you sure it doesn't work if you set the device to Default *and* 8 kHz from the beginning?

I already tried that with no success. Games just run at 10 FPS at most.
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:26 pm

OK... Now I feel stupid. Indeed the games run just fine from the begining as long as I use those settings:

GXF: no stretching/Fullscreen
Audio: default device/8 KHZ

Forget about that trick I posted, it's uselesss... I guess I mixed bad settings at one point and I tried over complicated things for no reason... :lol:

Anyway, that build you posted runs great and at almost full speed, so thank you for that. Do you plan to update it to the new versions of Scummvm when they are released?
Last edited by cb on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi, are there sources for those patches? I would be interested in seeing them.
mikro: this Scumvm is with this 'custom 8-bit' backend you have mentioned?

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mikro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:18 am

Saulot: I suppose cb is talking about that particular build. Of course I'll release full source code as soon as it's done (what is not), this was supposed to be just a test build but then I lost all my spare time for it (incl. OpenTTD).

But if you're willing to catch up and fix the 8-bit rendering, drop me a mail/pm, I'll send you my changeset.

jury

Postby jury » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:23 pm

mikro wrote:I must find time for both ScummVM and OpenTTD again, damn it.

Palette in ScummVM is seriously broken, that games must look terrible.

Hi mikro
Just a reminder. Palette is still broken! :)

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mikro » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Damn, somebody still remembers. ;-) The truth is now my options are a little limited because I don't have a CT60 nearby so I could use only Aranym. And I work on some other projects. But Saulot did write me back then and he seemed to be determined to continue the development. Otherwise... you must be patient. It's in my queue (with OpenTTD) but no date set (as usual).

jury

Postby jury » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:34 am

mikro wrote:Damn, somebody still remembers. ;-)

No chance to forget, as I have couple of games to play :P

OK then, all I can do is still wait :)

Edit:
Oh, and if any tests are needed, I can gladly help

Sturm
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Sturm » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:14 pm

So? What's the best build to use with a CT60? I tried the official 1.9 release, it crashes under Mint and is slow as hell in TOS. I tried the one at the beginning of this post, but is really slow too.

The other links you posted are invalid.

Would you be so kind to reupload them?

Thank you

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:58 pm

mikro wrote:Damn, somebody still remembers. ;-) The truth is now my options are a little limited because I don't have a CT60 nearby so I could use only Aranym. And I work on some other projects. But Saulot did write me back then and he seemed to be determined to continue the development. Otherwise... you must be patient. It's in my queue (with OpenTTD) but no date set (as usual).

Both ScummVm and OpenTTD work also with Hatari. You can use for example:
* hatari-prg-args.sh -s 14 --ttram 256 --machine falcon --tos tos404.img --dsp none --addr24 off --fpu internal -- ./scummvm-m68020-olivier.ttp -c scummvm.cfg
* hatari-prg-args.sh -s 4 --ttram 256 --machine tt --tos tos306uk.img -- ./openttd-m68020.gtp -m null -s null -b 8bpp-optimized

(Haven't tested them in a long time, but they worked fine with Hatari v1.9, with plain TOS.)

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:10 am

Since I do have a CT60e now, I can give you another vague promise that one day I'm going to look at it again. ;-)

jury

Postby jury » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:09 pm

There is hope :)

Social Media

Return to “Games”