Scumvm

Postby OL » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:34 pm

OL

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scumvm

Postby Dal » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Superb! This hasn't seen an update for quite some time. Does it require SDL?
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:26 pm

Scummvm use SDL but it is include in program itself, no dynamic lib need.

OL
OL

LaceySnr
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby LaceySnr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:04 am

Oooh, must try this! Was trying to get a build working a few months ago and didn't have any luck, was just flicking the colour palette and quitting.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:35 am

With ColdFire version on the FireBee, Olivier provided, you can play quite some games. Some withoud the sound to be playable and some even with sound. Now I can play Goblins again. I enjoyed it playing on ST :)

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:40 pm

vido wrote:With ColdFire version on the FireBee, Olivier provided, you can play quite some games. Some withoud the sound to be playable and some even with sound. Now I can play Goblins again. I enjoyed it playing on ST :)

Link of coldfire version here : http://gem.lutece.net/download/scummvmv4e.zip
OL

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Thank you. This one at least works (the official doesn't load any game), but it is still too slow to run a simple game even on 68060 :(

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:59 pm

ctirad wrote:Thank you. This one at least works (the official doesn't load any game), but it is still too slow to run a simple game even on 68060 :(

It's faster to run Monkey Island VGA on a 68060-based PC emulator, than to run Monkey Island VGA in ScummVM. That says something about ScummVM, I think.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:42 am

ctirad wrote:Thank you. This one at least works (the official doesn't load any game), but it is still too slow to run a simple game even on 68060 :(

Role games should be playable, there is a lot of report using it correctly. Action game I'm afraid Scummvm is slow.

How do you run it? Under AES or in gemdos mode? I don't know anything of gemdos mode and I have worked only on AES

Olivier
OL

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:44 am

shoggoth wrote:

It's faster to run Monkey Island VGA on a 68060-based PC emulator, than to run Monkey Island VGA in ScummVM. That says something about ScummVM, I think.

Is there a 68060-based PC emulator? This is news to me.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:44 am

I don't know what you mean by AES mode. I tried it under Mint with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=gem at 640x480 and then without any varibles/parameters.

The Gobliiins intro ran at almost right speed except the fade in/out, that was like 1fps. The Secret of Monkey island was almost unrensponsible even in the title screens. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there any Atari related doc and list of possible swithches?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:00 am

24MB scummvm.gtp, hmm...

I tried this in Hatari, both with TT and Falcon emulation, using 14MB of ST-RAM and 128MB of TT-RAM, but the program just complains about "TOS error #35". It doesn't do any large allocations that would fail, nor any MiNT GEMDOS calls, but does it work only under MiNT?

EDIT: it does works fine under MiNT/Aranym (games go at ~2 FPS on my machine).
Last edited by Eero Tamminen on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:10 am

Dal wrote:Is there a 68060-based PC emulator? This is news to me.

Yes. I wrote it, haven't released it yet though.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:11 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:24MB scummvm.gtp, hmm...

I tried this in Hatari, both with TT and Falcon emulation, using 14MB of ST-RAM and 128MB of TT-RAM, but the program just complains about "TOS error #35". It doesn't do any large allocations that would fail, nor any MiNT GEMDOS calls, but does it work only under MiNT?

I'm suspecting there's something seriously wrong with mintlib, because basic stuff requires freemint and refuse to run on TOS.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:30 am

Just for fun I've tried to compile it, too. For me it doesn't seem very slow at all, at least the Monkey Island. Feel free to try it out: http://ge.tt/92N7YBD2?c -- FLAC, mpeg2 etc is disabled because music really slows everything down beyond an acceptable level (on real hardware) but most stuff is in there.

Strangely, I'm unable to get to the game in MI2 when music is disabled, it does work on PC/Linux so this must be something Atari SDL-specific.

On CT60 I'm playing in XBIOS mode, on Aranym in GEM mode, speed is acceptable.

Beware: on CT60 is crucial to override graphics settings to use "no scaling"!

If this port is faster than Olivier's then I can make it official (and release patches), if the experience is about the same, then I wont bother of course. Feel free to report your results.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:45 am

mikro wrote:If this port is faster than Olivier's then I can make it official (and release patches), if the experience is about the same, then I wont bother of course. Feel free to report your results.

Yes, it's clearly faster in games, but mouse clicks in the GUI are much more unresponsive (one needs to keep mouse button down several seconds).

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:54 am

For audio it would be nice to add DSP mp2 player and to convert the CD tracks to mp2 and use DML's wavetable systhetiser for MIDI music.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:Yes, it's clearly faster in games, but mouse clicks in the GUI are much more unresponsive (one needs to keep mouse button down several seconds).

Wow, really? How do you test it, what environment? Would you be so kind and try whether these builds: http://ge.tt/3ZK0lBD2 are in any way different? It's basically the same build but linked against all available Patrice's releases (the previous binary is my SDL from the repository).

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:42 pm

ctirad wrote:For audio it would be nice to add DSP mp2 player and to convert the CD tracks to mp2 and use DML's wavetable systhetiser for MIDI music.

As for the mp2 solution: it's nice and one could use it in Doom, too because there are hq mp3s available for all of the MIDI songs. The problem is that one has to code a mixer (which would need to be in the DSP) to allow simultaneous sample + music playback.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:34 pm

mikro wrote:
Eero Tamminen wrote:Yes, it's clearly faster in games, but mouse clicks in the GUI are much more unresponsive (one needs to keep mouse button down several seconds).

Wow, really? How do you test it, what environment?

In Aranym v0.9.13.

mikro wrote:Would you be so kind and try whether these builds: http://ge.tt/3ZK0lBD2 are in any way different? It's basically the same build but linked against all available Patrice's releases (the previous binary is my SDL from the repository).

None of them works as well (at least in Aranym):
  • 1.2.13 -> process terminated, mouse missing
  • 1.2.14 -> warns about SDL mixer (sample rates differ from desired) and sound is missing, so is desktop cursor, which makes switching from warnings console to scummvm window difficult...
  • 1.2.15 (2014-09) -> sound is missing but desktop cursor shows
  • 1.2.15 (2015-01) -> process terminated, mouse missing
  • 1.2.15 (2015-03) -> process terminated, mouse missing

Even with the somewhat OKish version:
  • GUI crashes to assert if one opens the "render mode" combobox in options while "no scaling" is active
  • game stops proceeding when character starts talking for the first time (due to sound issues?), at least in "putt-putt goes to moon"

-> Only the "scummvm-m68020.ttp" version you first posted is really working one.
Last edited by Eero Tamminen on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:None of them works as well (at least in Aranym)

This is really strange. I downloaded the binaries from the same location, tried it on my Aranym setup, all of them work (but with the slow mouse, yes). Are you sure you have enough memory? TPA is set to at least 4 MB?

Now I not only have no answer to the slow mouse but also additional crashes :D

Thank you for your testing, though. I'm curious whether someone else can reproduce either behavior.

EDIT: to clarify, I don't have sound in the 1.2.15/2014 either. What really bothers me (except those crashes) is that I don't see any responsiveness improvement (at least as far as the main green launcher goes) in any version (I always, even in OpenTTD, have to push the mb longer than on CT60). I even tried both EasyMiNT's XaAES and the latest one, nothing. So I'm really clueless about the cause. If you like, send me your disk image where do you test it.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:24 pm

mikro wrote:This is really strange. I downloaded the binaries from the same location, tried it on my Aranym setup, all of them work (but with the slow mouse, yes). Are you sure you have enough memory? TPA is set to at least 4 MB?

My versions are: Aranym v0.9.13 (no MMU, no JIT, 14/64MB RAM), EmuTOS aranym v0.9.4, MiNT trunk aranym version from 2013-03-04 (no MP), fVDI / aranym.sys from 2007 build, XaAES v1.5.6 beta, Teradesk v4.03, Zmagxsnd v0.97.

Warning messages indicate last one as being at least one culprit. fVDI and Aranym could also be a potential problems as they're quite old versions.

mikro wrote:If you like, send me your disk image where do you test it.

I run this from host directory (with MiNT NatFeats VFAT driver), not from disk image. Do you use TOSv4 or why do you use disk image?

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:33 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:I run this from host directory (with MiNT NatFeats VFAT driver), not from disk image. Do you use TOSv4 or why do you use disk image?

Well, I meant it in general :) I run it from EasyMiNT's aranym setup (via a mapped hostfs drive). Also, I tried the latest freemint+xaaes and run it from directly from desktop, no difference.

As I think about it, the easiest way will be if you download http://atari.st-katharina-apotheke.de/d ... nym.tar.gz and try it out -- if you still see the 'fast mouse' with Olivier's and 2014's build, then it must be Aranym or EmuTOS. Although I use a fairly recent EmuTOS.

EDIT: The strange thing is that I do see an improvement in Olivier's build. WTF?! Olivier, what version did you use?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:47 pm

mikro wrote:As I think about it, the easiest way will be if you download http://atari.st-katharina-apotheke.de/d ... nym.tar.gz and try it out -- if you still see the 'fast mouse' with Olivier's and 2014's build, then it must be Aranym or EmuTOS. Although I use a fairly recent EmuTOS.

EDIT: The strange thing is that I do see an improvement in Olivier's build. WTF?! Olivier, what version did you use?

I had no fast mouse in 2014 version (fixed now in above list), just in Olivier's build.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:00 pm

mikro wrote:
Eero Tamminen wrote:I run this from host directory (with MiNT NatFeats VFAT driver), not from disk image. Do you use TOSv4 or why do you use disk image?

Well, I meant it in general :) I run it from EasyMiNT's aranym setup (via a mapped hostfs drive). Also, I tried the latest freemint+xaaes and run it from directly from desktop, no difference.

As I think about it, the easiest way will be if you download http://atari.st-katharina-apotheke.de/d ... nym.tar.gz and try it out -- if you still see the 'fast mouse' with Olivier's and 2014's build, then it must be Aranym or EmuTOS. Although I use a fairly recent EmuTOS.

Hello Mikro,

There is nothing strange, I have hardly work on SDL gem, speed is globally the same but it react better. I have reduce around by 3 the number of call to the AES, and I have add some feature for MyAES (unchange for other AES) I have sent source code to Patrice but it look not interested on this work.

I sent you in private email my SDL version you look better than me to compil Scummvm (I just compil it as I can (cross compiled))

Olivier
Last edited by OL on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OL

Social Media

Return to “Games”