All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

rudis
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: News on my GEM games

Postby rudis » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:08 am

No problems here using Aranym.

ps: reached second place in online hiscore :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:49 am

vido wrote:Every time I finish the game and hiscores are saved the 2048 directory cant be listed as there is something wrong!

May the writing in this folder be forbidden by the operating system? I do not know the behavior under full MiNT; what a GEMDOS Fwrite() would give in an unauthorized folder?
I wonder how the archive is unpacked. I use STZIP to build the archives for ST and STZIP compatibility (not KK Commander or other). Are files permissions OK after unzip?

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:31 am

Rajah Lone wrote:
vido wrote:Every time I finish the game and hiscores are saved the 2048 directory cant be listed as there is something wrong!

May the writing in this folder be forbidden by the operating system? I do not know the behavior under full MiNT; what a GEMDOS Fwrite() would give in an unauthorized folder?
I wonder how the archive is unpacked. I use STZIP to build the archives for ST and STZIP compatibility (not KK Commander or other). Are files permissions OK after unzip?

No its not forbiden to write. File permissions are the same under MiNT or full MiNT. FAT32 dont have file permissions anyway. The archieve is unpacked with suplied unzip in FireBees MiNT setup. I newer had such problem. I use Troll on the same partition without any problem. This is really strange. Maybe it would be interesting to try 2048 from ext2 partition? :)
Hmmm ... or I will try it from USB key so it wont be any problem to reformati it if there will be problem again.

Vido

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:19 pm

I'll loose precious time tonight to investigate in the code.
But you didn't anwser about the unzipping of the archive. What program is used, and how? Make a test: unzip on PC or Mac, transfer with FTP on your usb partition, and run it.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Rajah, maybe you should tell me what else to test by myself before you loose your time?
I would like to have feature advanced your software as trying to find the bug in game but it can be causeb by something on my side. But as everything else works I dont know where to look?!?
I dont believe unzip is the problem. I allways unzip everything the same way. You have the FireBee too? If yes, then just klick twice on the archieve and it will unpack. If you have original MiNT setup installed.
And I will make a test you proposed. I hope I will be able to do it tonight.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Since my programs are compiled on my FireBee, "installation" is just copy files from a folder to another.

I never use the unzip "function" of the original MiNT setup. In fact, I linked ZIP files to another program: I use my KK Commander + deflate.ldg to unzip. And this action is rare, since I prefer to download with Firefox on my MacBook Air, unzip with built-in MacOSX, and FTP-transfer with Litchi.

My archives are made with old STZIP on Aranym+MagiC setup on my MacBookAir. Second review in my code tonight. For now, I would like to know if the unzip program is clean (ie Fclose() correctly the uncompressed files after writing).

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:54 pm

I reinstalled 2048 on my FIreBee: deleted the previous files completely, unpacked the new archive on an ext2 partition with Quick Extract and copied all files on a FAT32. I noticed that all files are marked ARCHIVED and READONLY. But apart from that, the program ran normally, exited normally and certainly didn't screw my FAT32 drive up.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:32 pm

jfl wrote:I reinstalled 2048 on my FIreBee: deleted the previous files completely, unpacked the new archive on an ext2 partition with Quick Extract and copied all files on a FAT32. I noticed that all files are marked ARCHIVED and READONLY. But apart from that, the program ran normally, exited normally and certainly didn't screw my FAT32 drive up.

Did you finished the game so hiscores were written to the file?

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 pm

@jfl: the test should have included before the unset of the HOME environment variable, as in Vido configuration, for 2048 to write the .inf and/or .sco files besides the .app file. Maybe just after zip extraction in the timeline of disk operations.

GFA code review/verification still planned.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:43 pm

vido wrote:
jfl wrote:I reinstalled 2048 on my FIreBee: deleted the previous files completely, unpacked the new archive on an ext2 partition with Quick Extract and copied all files on a FAT32. I noticed that all files are marked ARCHIVED and READONLY. But apart from that, the program ran normally, exited normally and certainly didn't screw my FAT32 drive up.

Did you finished the game so hiscores were written to the file?

I hadn't but now I just did. See my shameful highscore of 500 :D (I was just hitting keys at random, though). But the score file isn't written in the program directory so I don't see how it's relevant.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:@jfl: the test should have included before the unset of the HOME environment variable, as in Vido configuration, for 2048 to write the .inf and/or .sco files besides the .app file. Maybe just after zip extraction in the timeline of disk operations.

Ah, OK. I see now what Vido meant. I'll try this.

Edit: I just did and indeed after unsetting $HOME I was able to reproduce vido's description of the problem. After quitting 2048, the FireBee froze when I tried to refresh the app folder. I rebooted, and if I now try to enter that folder the 'Bee freezes. Sorry Rajah, but something is seriously wrong :(
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Well ... I think we are a little closer to the solution of the problem. I copised 2048 game to ubs stick and run it from there. Ther result was the same. If I tried to enter 2048 directory the FireBee freezed.
But now I was able to take the usb stick and put it on my windows notebook. Windows dont crash when I enter the 2048 directory and there is a file without the name. And when I try to open the file, windows write: "The filename is too long."
So I guess the filaname if full of spaces or other "characters" they cant be displayed in windows explorer. The size of the file is 75 bytes.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:05 pm

I think the problem is located. See first item of the fixes. Update is mandatory (.app and 2048.dat\sys\*.* files) if your setup doesn't set HOME variable. Older versions are deleted from my website, please do the same if you keep some files repositories. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2048 1.2: blog or directly
- fix: local highscore filename was blank and generated folder corruption if HOME environment variable was empty.
- fix: options were not saved with ‘Enter’ key press.
- fix: UTF-8 decoding (0xC2+char, 0xC3+char, letter+0xCC+glyph, ç, Ç).
- add: option to save or not local highscore.

Thanks Vido and JFL.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:09 am

Great! Thank you!

I will try it tonight :)

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:50 pm

I've deleted the 2048 folder on my Linux box and my partition is fine. Now I'll try to improve my highscore -- which shouldn't be too hard :D
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:41 am

jfl wrote:I've deleted the 2048 folder on my Linux box and my partition is fine. Now I'll try to improve my highscore -- which shouldn't be too hard :D

Still waiting to see your improved hiscore! :)

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:47 am

vido wrote:
jfl wrote:I've deleted the 2048 folder on my Linux box and my partition is fine. Now I'll try to improve my highscore -- which shouldn't be too hard :D

Still waiting to see your improved hiscore! :)

It is already! My first one was 500 :D I suck at this game. Well, all games in general.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:44 pm

DGEM 1.2: blog or directly
- chg: image cache is set on by default and configuration is easier.
- fix: color problem, was not right black around some monsters in TC16 and TC32 screenmodes.
- add: display option, if « EdDI » cookie available, can use an offscreen VDI handle. In most cases, slows display, but may speed up display animations with some machines such as Milan+NVDI.
- add: display option, if available (Radeon on PCI or SuperVidel), uses ct60_malloc() to relocate graphics in Video RAM to speed up animations.
- chg: some cleaning in the preferences panels.
- fix: test for correct CPU 68K or Coldfire.

Teenage Queen Reloaded 2.2: blog or directly
- add: display option, if "EdDI" cookie available, can use an offscreen VDI handle. In most cases, slows display, but may speed up display animations with some machines, such as Milan+NVDI.
- add: display option, if available (Radeon on PCI or SuperVidel), uses ct60_malloc() to relocate graphics in Video RAM to speed up display. (window resize should be smooth).

2048 1.3: blog or directly
- fix: under monoTOS and application mode (not ACCessory), the menu is displayed in classic way, outside the main window, to give enough space for 320*200 screenmode.
- add: display option, if « EdDI » cookie available, can use an offscreen VDI handle. In most cases, slows display, but may speed up display animations with some machines such as Milan+NVDI.
- add: display option, if available (Radeon on PCI or SuperVidel), uses ct60_malloc() to relocate graphics in Video RAM to speed up animations.

Notes: Offscreen VDI handle option is automaticaly selected for Milan+NVDI.

Notes: by default, the option is unset. If big problem at program start, you can delete its INF file in the HOME folder (or set USE_VMALLOC to FALSE). I do not know the behavior for VRAM location access and MiNT Memory Protection.

X2 project: WIP, last work archives in the temp folder.

Thanks calimero, shoggoth, Lonny PURSELL, Jean-Marc STOCKLAUSEN and Guillaume TELLO.

I hope it's OK. Now I can resume work on X2 (next in the roadmap: weapons at maximum)

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:43 am

X2 project (20160218): directly
- fix: desk background set at start.
- add: palette management (for 16c and 256c screenmodes).
- add: all weapons (blast, double blast, rear blast, sides blasts, canons, homers, lasers, flamers, mines, drones) and shield.
- keys for tests: arrows, numeric pad (moves), s (shield on/off), p (increase power), shift (fire).

Next on the roadmap are:
- levels editor, with at least level 1, and graphics.
- this will take some time, in the meantime, I will also work on loots/hearts/credits objects, for an intermediate release.

The program is not limited except for RAM, it should run on a stock ST for now, but, because of speed, it's intended for very enhanced Ataris or Atari clones (virtual or not).

Playmobil
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Playmobil » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:29 pm

Wow ! Congratulation Rajah ! It's amazing !

Tested under Aranym+Xaaes+Mint : Working great !

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:55 pm

I would like to test ... but my FireBee is at this moment dead :(
I will try it when I will bring it back to life.

Looking forward to that :)

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:44 pm

Well that was unexpected! Looking forward to more.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:16 am

The levels editor is about to be functionnal in two or three weeks (load+save+misc functions to implement). I start only with level 1 graphics, if the gem game runs ok, the next ones will be added.
The level editor will be released sources included, next to the main program, for tests, general knowledge and archiving.

Since I'm not good at all at level design, is someone interested in using this editor? The map may be not the same as the original one, it's an opportunity to make a new one.
Large and colorful (>= 16c) screenmode is strongly advised.

xeditor.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:53 am

This looks great.
If I get my FireBee functional again, I will try to design a level.

Playmobil
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Playmobil » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:56 am

Incredible job Rajah ! Congratulation !

Social Media

Return to “Games”