News on my GEM games

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: News on my GEM games

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:44 pm

Too long file name with just spaces is also used for Fdelete() and Fcreate() just before the game over dialog.

On TOS 1.04, animation in vertical direction looks broken, the animated graphics are just noise. After animation everything looks fine though.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:23 pm

2048 1.1C: blog or directly
- fix: if not MiNT, highscore pathfile was missing a terminal nullbyte.
- fix: if not NVDI, outscreen redraws were wrongly displayed.
- fix: animation wrong widths/lengths for redraws, may be quicker now.
Thanks to Eero Tamminen.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:11 pm

2048 1.1D: blog or directly
- fix: test if GEMDOS(0x160 = Fsocket() is available. If not then MiNTnet API is not used directly and need all GlueSTiK Gateway.
- fix: bad parameter in Fgetsockname().
Thanks to Gerhard STOLL.

-> online scores works now on MagiCNet and older MiNT.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:39 am

Rajah Lone wrote:2048 1.1D: blog or directly
- fix: test if GEMDOS(0x160 = Fsocket() is available. If not then MiNTnet API is not used directly and need all GlueSTiK Gateway.
- fix: bad parameter in Fgetsockname().
Thanks to Gerhard STOLL.

-> online scores works now on MagiCNet and older MiNT.

Hey Rajah,

I tried 2048 (played it the first time) and i really enjoyed it. But When I completed the game the second time it freezed my FireBee (and I had a good score for the online scores :)). The problem now is that I can not open anymore 2048 folder. Seems like it corrupted file/filesystem on my CF card.
I think someone allready reported a bug writing a file in this game but I dont know where I saw that. Take that as another bug report.

It's really great to see your software updated! Keep goin ... thanks! :)

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:21 am

Thanks for reporting.
I'll investigate.
If the HOME is setenv at start with the MiNT configuration file, 2048 only writes in the HOME folder, never inside its own folder.
There was a bug in a previous version, but was on Fopen() for reading (see page 1 of this thread).

I suggest you to backup your precious files of your FireBee. I you have not formated the CF card yourself and still use the seller formating, you may encounter disk problems.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 am

Then this is strange. i will check if I have set HOME directory. I guess not as I dont have accounts on my MiNt setup. I will also check if I can read directory from MiNT shell.
I formated CF myself. I replaced the original with the new one :)

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:15 am

Hey Vido,

look in C/gemsys/home.There usually is firebee´s home path.

Best regards,

Chris
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:01 am

I checked my HOME system variable and it is set to /root. In root directory nothing of the game is saved.
Then I tried to read the 2048 directory from MiNT shell but seems my FireBee freezed again (I checked that using VNC from the job).
So there is something corrupted in 2048 directory and seems that was caused by 2048 game. Does it writes something into HOME directory when you finish the game?
If yes, then in my case HOME variable was not taken itno account.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:05 am

vido wrote:Then I tried to read the 2048 directory from MiNT shell but seems my FireBee freezed again (I checked that using VNC from the job).

Do you mean to say you leave you FireBee powered on at home so that you can log on to it from work? 8O
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:18 am

When the game is over, highscores are saved in the HOME folder (if existing) or besides the .PRG. Same location for the preferences file.

Since I can't test my softwares on ext2 partitions, I advise not to run them on this type of disk. GEMDOS calls are used to manipulate files: Fopen/Fread/Fwrite, not C fopen/fread/fwrite. Here, with HOME set in a Unix way and not GEM way (nor C: nor U: nor /C/ no /U/...), the resulting pathname is probably causing the bug. I will verify in the code this night.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:27 pm

jfl wrote:
vido wrote:Then I tried to read the 2048 directory from MiNT shell but seems my FireBee freezed again (I checked that using VNC from the job).

Do you mean to say you leave you FireBee powered on at home so that you can log on to it from work? 8O

Yes ... my FireBee is powered on from the first day I got it. It was never switched off. Yes I can log on from my work. But I have to setup sshd to be able to ssh to it also. It is more usable as VNC.

But I also had runnin my Milan nonstop for 8 years with running web server with several web pages and accounts :)

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:36 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:When the game is over, highscores are saved in the HOME folder (if existing) or besides the .PRG. Same location for the preferences file.

Since I can't test my softwares on ext2 partitions, I advise not to run them on this type of disk. GEMDOS calls are used to manipulate files: Fopen/Fread/Fwrite, not C fopen/fread/fwrite. Here, with HOME set in a Unix way and not GEM way (nor C: nor U: nor /C/ no /U/...), the resulting pathname is probably causing the bug. I will verify in the code this night.

Yes I have HOME folder on ext2 partition. This is quite common if you have "full" MiNT install.
But seems altought I have HOME variable set it tried to write hiscore beside .prg file. And hiscore was not written in /root directora after I completed it the first time and game. But I dont remember if I continued to play again or I exit and restarted the game?!?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:49 pm

I suspect GEMDOS has a brain fart when passed an EXT2 pathname so the code reverts to the 'safe' behaviour of writing to the current directory?
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:13 pm

vido wrote:But seems altought I have HOME variable set it tried to write hiscore beside .prg file. And hiscore was not written in /root directora after I completed it the first time and game.

Since "/root" is something unexpected and the test of writability in the HOME folder fails, the .sco and .inf files locations are besides the .app file. This test is run at start in my GFA code, just after getting the HOME environment variable, to prevent writting in HOME if HOME points to an ext2 partition.

Still, if you have installed 2048 on a ext2 partition, the problem is not avoided. I do not advise any of my softwares to be installed (and use folders) on ext2 partition.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:
vido wrote:But seems altought I have HOME variable set it tried to write hiscore beside .prg file. And hiscore was not written in /root directora after I completed it the first time and game.

Since "/root" is something unexpected and the test of writability in the HOME folder fails, the .sco and .inf files locations are besides the .app file. This test is run at start in my GFA code, just after getting the HOME environment variable, to prevent writting in HOME if HOME points to an ext2 partition.

Still, if you have installed 2048 on a ext2 partition, the problem is not avoided. I do not advise any of my softwares to be installed (and use folders) on ext2 partition.

No ... 2048 is located on FAT16 (or FAT32?!?) partition. On ext2 partition I have only MiNT setup.
Is it possible to see hiscores also on the web? ... To see if highscore is sent to online service before freezed my FireBee? :)

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:51 pm

vido wrote:
Rajah Lone wrote:When the game is over, highscores are saved in the HOME folder (if existing) or besides the .PRG. Same location for the preferences file.

Yes I have HOME folder on ext2 partition. This is quite common if you have "full" MiNT install.

Same here and I never had a problem with any of Rajah's software. They are all installed on a FAT32 partition, though. I suspect the problem is somewhere else.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:54 pm

Then I have no clues about this file/folder corruption. The test at start is old and reliable (get HOME env var, if 2048.inf is not found inside, if not found besides .app, then 2028.tst is Fcreate() in HOME. If success, HOME folder is valid and .tst is closed and deleted, it not the 2048.sco and .inf will be located besides the .app).
I would not use FAT32 on my atari setups. FAT16 is enough, with 900 KB partitions. The CF card don't have to be totally used.

http://ptonthat.fr/scores/2048/

The local highscore is saved in the .sco file before submiting this score to the "webservice".

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:57 pm

jfl wrote:Same here and I never had a problem with any of Rajah's software. They are all installed on a FAT32 partition, though. I suspect the problem is somewhere else.

I also never had problem with Rajahs software. And I use them. Until now. By my opinion it is quite high possibilitty it was caused by writing hiscore of 2048 as the problem also exists only in 2048 directory. Sure ... the reason can be something else ... but it would be good to investigate to prevent possible next problems.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:40 pm

vido wrote:but it would be good to investigate to prevent possible next problems.

I agree, but brainstorming on it gives no results. I'm loosing time searching in the source code which seems OK. I understand the problem happened more than one time, with the lasted version (1.1D)? What is the exact location (pathname) of the 2048.app?

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:
vido wrote:but it would be good to investigate to prevent possible next problems.

I agree, but brainstorming on it gives no results. I'm loosing time searching in the source code which seems OK. I understand the problem happened more than one time, with the lasted version (1.1D)? What is the exact location (pathname) of the 2048.app?

No. It hapened only once with the latest version. Now I am thinkering how to repair this? I dont know if trying to delete the folder is good idea?
Maybe there is no problem with 2048 but with any of my settings of MiNT, XaAES, ... but I am almost sure it happened when writing hiscores.
The path is: E:/games/2048.V4E .
While playing game there were running quite some applications in the background. NetSurf, aIRC, phClock, phWeather, phNews, ...

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:16 pm

vido wrote:No. It hapened only once with the latest version. Now I am thinkering how to repair this? I dont know if trying to delete the folder is good idea?
Maybe there is no problem with 2048 but with any of my settings of MiNT, XaAES, ... but I am almost sure it happened when writing hiscores.

It's quite possible indeed that this has nothing to do with 2048 but everything to do with a random failure of the hardware or the OS. It wouldn't be the first time filesystem corruptions happen on the FireBee. If I were Rajah I wouldn't worry too much :wink:

Have you tried running dosfsck on your affected partition?
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:17 pm

jfl wrote:It's quite possible indeed that this has nothing to do with 2048 but everything to do with a random failure of the hardware or the OS. It wouldn't be the first time filesystem corruptions happen on the FireBee. If I were Rajah I wouldn't worry too much :wink:

Have you tried running dosfsck on your affected partition?

I agree with you.

I didnt try yet. I will have to check if I have it. Didnt know it exist :)
Thanks!

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:49 pm

vido wrote:
jfl wrote:Have you tried running dosfsck on your affected partition?

I didnt try yet. I will have to check if I have it. Didnt know it exist :)

It's available here as an RPM: http://sparemint.org/sparemint/RPMS/m68kmint/
All you need is the "dosfsck" binary, which may be extracted by several means, depending on your OS of choice.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:46 am

jfl wrote:It's available here as an RPM: http://sparemint.org/sparemint/RPMS/m68kmint/
All you need is the "dosfsck" binary, which may be extracted by several means, depending on your OS of choice.

Thank you! ... I downloaded and extracted it ... now I have to come home and do fsck :)

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:51 am

Here we go again ...
I installed 2048 two more times on my FireBee ... on the FAT32 partition. Every time I finish the game and hiscores are saved the 2048 directory cant be listed as there is something wrong! I checked the partition with dosfsck and nothing special is found but the content of the 2048 directory cant be read. When you try that (with Thing or MiNt console) FireBee freezes/hangs :(
The directory is also impossible to delete. So now I have 3 2048 directories which cant be used or deleted/removed :)

Vido

P.S. Still I reached best online hiscore ;)

Social Media

Return to “Games”