Civilization on TT

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Civilization on TT

Postby NGF » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:23 pm

I tried DBUG's patched Civ on my TT the other day and it froze after reading the text in the beginning. Yet I have seen a video on youtube that claims it's Civ running on TT. Anyone know what version works on TT?
Tested DBUG's pached version on two TT's so I doubt it works on any TT setup but I could be wrong ofcourse!
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

Frank B
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Civilization on TT

Postby Frank B » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:43 pm

What are the program flags set to on the exe? If it is loading into fast ram that can confuse some ST software.

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:06 pm

How do i change it? :oops:
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:47 pm

You can try this FLAGSETT
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 pm

It didn't use TT ram, there must be some special TT version of Civ i cannot find :?

Frank B
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Frank B » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:15 pm

NGF wrote:It didn't use TT ram, there must be some special TT version of Civ i cannot find :?

Did you switch the cache off? Did you try a cold boot with no resident apps in case memory is tight?
I have a TT but don't have access to it as I'm working abroad just now.

Frank

Jake/Depression
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jake/Depression » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Very important question is too what harddriveprogram you used. If Hddriver, is these settings then like in their site read? (Minim. settings.)

Edit: I test this in my TT next weekend and if there is broblem then right place to tell it to them is their site. But need to be test it 1st.
-soimaamme toinen toista ja unohdamme tulta kohentaa-

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 pm

I use ICD hd-driver, but i doubt it's ICD's fault since a friend with another driver have the exact same problem. Disabling cache didn't help either.

sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sh3-rg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Here's a thought - try going to the dbug forum & report it there in the relevant thread.

Jake/Depression
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jake/Depression » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:32 am

Icd is other driver what they support, so it is mayby ok. If you send bugreport tell what driver and tos you used and when and where broblem goming.

Jake/Depression
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jake/Depression » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:54 am

I see you not are made bug-report for this game in Dbug forum yet?

(If i found time this day test this on my TT and see it not work, i answered in their forum, because it is right place for this.)

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:37 am

Hi,

I have a TT030 and not been using it for long.

I also used to love Civilisation on the ST, yet it wont seem to run in TT.

I know that disabling cache can make a difference, and also clean boot and low res (try alt and 1 on keyboard). Im also running ICD currently, but plan to switch to HDRIVER.

Listen, can we start a list of TT compatcable games on this forum, if there is not one already.

Ive not tried loads as my main focus is MIDI, but the following work really well.

Starball
Frontier Elite II (better framerate!!)
Colour Clash
Lemmings 2 (great game btw)
All Infocom games, (e.g. Zork, etc. All rez)

Is there a list anywhere to add to, and with hints or settings. If not we ought to start one. I'd like to see F1GP running on the TT. Frontier runs great, and really is an improvement.
My company website http://www.thebigconsultant.com[/i][/color]

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:52 am

bid wrote:Hi,

I have a TT030 and not been using it for long.

I also used to love Civilisation on the ST, yet CIV won't seem to run in TT.

I know that disabling cache can make a difference, and also clean boot and low res (try alt and 1 on keyboard). Im also running ICD currently, but plan to switch to HDRIVER.

Listen, can we start a list of TT compatcable games on this forum, if there is not one already.

Ive not tried loads as my main focus is MIDI, but the following work really well.

Starball
Frontier Elite II (better framerate!!)
Colour Clash
Lemmings 2 (great game btw)
All Infocom games, (e.g. Zork, etc. All rez)

Is there a list anywhere to add to, and with hints or settings. If not we ought to start one. I'd like to see F1GP running on the TT. Frontier runs great, and really is an improvement.

I have tried with both HD-drivers on my TT and change cache but it still won't run!

Let's join forces bid! I'll start a TT game compatibility list topic where all TT users can unite and help each other! :)

Didn't know about ALT+1 method, does it work for all resolutions, ALT +1-6? Maybe I should read my TT manual :oops:

Are those games you listed dbug/others hd patches or originals?

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:19 am

NGF wrote:
I have tried with both HD-drivers on my TT and change cache but it still won't run!

Let's join forces bid! I'll start a TT game compatibility list topic where all TT users can unite and help each other! :)

Didn't know about ALT+1 method, does it work for all resolutions, ALT +1-6? Maybe I should read my TT manual :oops:

Are those games you listed dbug/others hd patches or originals?

Yes, I did try some games this week. Some worked, some didnt, but certainly the pressing Alt and then 1-5 is the quickest way to change res on the TT. I think you will like it!! Alt-1 for ST Low Res

Actually, I have been really enjoying trying out high res ST Software and games too. On the TT its easy to change to Low, Med and Hi in seconds. Also surprisingly games from InfoCom work in all TT res, but must have been made years before. Perhaps they just stuck to the Atari conventions, unlike many games that tried to push hardware beyond its limits using hardware tricks.

So I think we should start a list yes. A new thread, and perhaps wiki this later with some extra info on a table like below?

Game____________Game_Version/Source_________Working_Res__________Cache_on/off_________Hard_Drive_Driver_________Notes

But I am struggling to work out how to do a table in this Forum. Its pretty limited. But I think it may help at some point to add this info.

I have also got some really interesting games that I would like to share, and will make some time later to do this.

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Something I have been thinking about is a TT mod for CIV where it instead of working in ST low res it runs in TT low res and then replace the pictures that are in .pcx format with the ones from the PC version (more colors). I think it would look fantastic!

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:48 pm

NGF wrote:Something I have been thinking about is a TT mod for CIV where it instead of working in ST low res it runs in TT low res and then replace the pictures that are in .pcx format with the ones from the PC version (more colors). I think it would look fantastic!

Sure. But how many people would actually use it!?!

But saying that. Modifying Civ is pretty easy. I am no programmer, but I actually modded my 5 civilisation games disks when I last used it ... almost 15 years ago!?!

Lol. My STe had 4MB ram, as I added some old PC ram to it, yet I had no hard drive and hated disk swapping all the time. So I edited the files, and disks, so as to fit into ram, and also took out or changed some pictures I believe. Everything was separate files! So I used some tools, and a programme called MDisk to create a 2.5MB ram disk to store the new version in memory. Then I could play Civ for several veeeeerrryy looooonngg hours (possibly 20 hours straight) at a time, and its was so beautiful a system and game!! Really great.

I hated the full screen, non windowed environment though. Always wish it was more Gem like. I like Sim City and I like having my accessories, and being able to swich programs or do other things. Really, if I were so inclined I would wonder, is it possible to place games in some kind of Gem wrapper in TT Medium? Obviously ones that are not graphics hungry, or using crazy programming tricks. I have seen it done with Elite http://gemcandy.atari-users.net/index.php?name=Downloads&req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=175 but Civilisation in a TT window under Magic or Mint would be .... well mint!!! :D :lol:

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Tue May 17, 2011 12:31 pm

bid wrote:....
But saying that. Modifying Civ is pretty easy. I am no programmer, but I actually modded my 5 civilisation games disks when I last used it ... almost 15 years ago!?!

Lol. My STe had 4MB ram, as I added some old PC ram to it, yet I had no hard drive and hated disk swapping all the time. So I edited the files, and disks, so as to fit into ram, and also took out or changed some pictures I believe. Everything was separate files! So I used some tools, and a programme called MDisk to create a 2.5MB ram disk to store the new version in memory. Then I could play Civ for several veeeeerrryy looooonngg hours (possibly 20 hours straight) at a time, and its was so beautiful a system and game!! Really great.
I hated the full screen, non windowed environment though. Always wish it was more Gem like. I like Sim City and I like having my accessories, and being able to swich programs or do other things. Really, if I were so inclined I would wonder, is it possible to place games in some kind of Gem wrapper in TT Medium? Obviously ones that are not graphics hungry, or using crazy programming tricks. I have seen it done with Elite http://gemcandy.atari-users.net/index.php?name=Downloads&req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=175 but Civilisation in a TT window under Magic or Mint would be .... well mint!!! :D :lol:

Some moddings may be easy. But modding games to run in some GEM Window is very hard in 99% cases. That GEM Elite is surely result of huge work. - And I can not DL it - link on page is dead. Can you post it here ?

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Wed May 18, 2011 3:49 pm

SofiST wrote:Some moddings may be easy. But modding games to run in some GEM Window is very hard in 99% cases. That GEM Elite is surely result of huge work. - And I can not DL it - link on page is dead. Can you post it here ?

Hmmm. The bad news that its hard to run GEM in windows!! Grrrrrr. That would be schweeeet!!!

But I guess Atari never got around to making their own version of Direct X . lol :lol:

BUT the GOOD NEWS is the I do have a copy of GEM ELITE!!!!

But, I'll have to put my CF Card drive back into my Windows PC to get the installer files. Is there any chance I can swap it for instructions how to build a VME IDE interface that is rumored to exist??? Call it fair swaps?? :D

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Wed May 18, 2011 4:00 pm

bid wrote:...
But, I'll have to put my CF Card drive back into my Windows PC to get the installer files. Is there any chance I can swap it for instructions how to build a VME IDE interface that is rumored to exist??? Call it fair swaps?? :D

I'm focused on cartridge port IDE (CF) IF - it should be easier to use.

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Wed May 18, 2011 7:33 pm

have you tried all the different civlization cracks out there?

there is some worth a check:

Vectronix,
Ronald Anderssons
ICS
Cynix (which also released an patch later on).
Replicants
Stainless Steel rat patch
and a couple of f030 patched by some german guys (could maybe even fix TT issues).

as I know ronalds and Vectronix versions is more than cracked they are modified and fixings, and ronalds versions is even more additionals... worth a check I belive
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Thu May 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Civilisation is mostly TT compatible, except few issues as stoopid mouse reading code, which trashes screen if there is 4MB in machine. But I'm not sure that it is error in original, maybe in 'fixed' version ? For me it worked from first on TT with 2MB.
I would not waste time with floppy cracks and fixes - they usually have nothing to solve hard disk run, and very rare some Falcon, TT fix.

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

I wouldnt count out Vex and Ronalds versions..
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Fri May 20, 2011 12:19 pm

This works certainly on TT, even with cashe on : http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/civil.html
Don't think that hard disk driver is relevant - I tested with Hddriver and mine. Just take care that no too large hard disk caches, and other low RAM occupying resident SW. Start from ST low res, even if don't like it :D

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Sat May 21, 2011 7:10 pm

SofiST wrote: Can you post it here ?

OK. Now I feel bad. Sooooo here is the ZIP installer for GEM ELITE !!!!

Download GEM ELITE here http://www.thebigconsultant.com/atari/gem-elite.zip
- It requires a pretty decent machine to run it on!!! 8)

I am still in the mood for instructions on how to build a VME IDE drive. I had heard that someone had built one already? I dont mind making up the board myself if such a thing exists?? I just heard rumour that someone had made one already?

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Mon May 23, 2011 12:49 pm

bid wrote:...
I am still in the mood for instructions on how to build a VME IDE drive. I had heard that someone had built one already? I dont mind making up the board myself if such a thing exists?? I just heard rumour that someone had made one already?

Thanx for Gelite :D
Considering VME-IDE : Popsel made it for Mega STE. It may work on TT too, but for sure need to update driver for TT - considering problems with cache.
I'm not much warmed for it. What I have already, and works pretty well on TT too is ACSI-CF adapter. Speed is same as on ST(E) machines, and not little - 2MB/sec.
Likely, DMA chip is same in TT.
http://atari.8bitchip.info/astide.php - second project .

Social Media

Return to “Games”