OpenTTD?

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

OpenTTD?

Postby jvas » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:24 am

Would somebody send me an isntalled/working setup of OpenTTD? I tried to install it when it was ported, but always got an error message.

Thanks,
Jozsi

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: OpenTTD?

Postby MacFalcon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi,

I could, email me and I´ll see what I can do!

Best regards,

Mac
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:22 am

MacFalcon,

could you also send me your working version of TTD ?
Thanks.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Does anybody have a working version of OpenTTD for Falcon ?
If so could you please send me the files.
I have tried most versions from:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=3407
and
http://ineedfile.com/search.php?q=openttd
and I always get an error while starting this game.
Thanks in advance.

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:54 am

Jury and Jvas, you both have emails now with a download link!
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:16 pm

This is MacFalcon's ( thanks :) ) configuration of openTTD in 640x480 on CT63@95MHz :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EwwM6ZPR7E

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Any chance of getting this somewhere we can all download from?
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:36 pm

AtariSince1989's FTP is a good place.

I can always upload it to the newsgroups - it'll be up there (in its current state) for 2 years+ that way.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Glad that it works Jury :cheers:

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Dal wrote:Any chance of getting this somewhere we can all download from?

Download of F060 port is at Keiths site:

http://www.radix.net/~atari/

and the data files are couple of posts above :)

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:05 am

Hello,

I would like to try this game on the FireBee but I cant find binnaries. Anyone knows where I can get them?
Also if it is possible anyone to compile this game with latest SDL and also for the Coldfire CPU?

I woul really like to see this game working on the FireBee as it is ine if my favourite :)

Vido

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:07 am

If someone has source code of a version already ported I can compiled it with a new SDL because it never work for me link to mouse trouble.

OL
OL

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:48 pm

That would be just great.
I think Patrice Mandin and Vincent were helping Keith at porting it. If someone has contact with Keith?!?
Maybe Patrice or Vincent has somewhere laying around?
Were sources in package with binarieas?

Huh ... I hope someone can help with this!

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:08 pm

vido wrote:I would like to try this game on the FireBee but I cant find binnaries. Anyone knows where I can get them?
Also if it is possible anyone to compile this game with latest SDL and also for the Coldfire CPU?

If you will drop me an email at account "xal" on server "o2.pl" than I will send you the complete package ( binaries + data file )

And yes, it would be great to at least recompile that old version with current SDL, as the mouse pointer is completely unstable. Sometimes it moves fine, sometimes its not moving at all :/

vido wrote:Were sources in package with binarieas?

Unfortunately not.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:06 pm

OK, I got curious and tried it couple of days ago. First experience wasn't very optimistic but eventually I've gotten into the state where I could (even cross-)compile everything and run the executable. But!

There are actually several buts (butts :))

1. For some mysterious reason the game improperly loads some data. Most likely it's because of a big endian/little endian problem (although the game has got support for both). It's visible by crashing on an assert in saveload.cpp:1527 ... removing the assert lets game loading continue but ends up (without a crash) after some time without doing anything.

2. The game eats incredible amount of memory (mostly due to caches) so on 512 MB I'm seeing that the cache has to be reduced to 256 MB and it's really slow (even though nothing is happening -- I mean mostly loading times, ridiculously slow even on Aranym)

3. FireBee... well. You guys have to fix the XBIOS routines first -- palette support, double buffering, such stuff. Without that any graphical (non-gem) game won't be possible. I can't even imagine the speed of OpenTTD running in a gem window :)

TL;DR version: it's a pain in the ass to debug it -- loading takes ages, one can't use a debugger on Atari side (gcc4 produces stuff which gdb doesn't like) and the end result is more than questionable (having a really slow port of a game which can be run on any modern computer).

But if somebody is brave enough, I'll gladly send him my patches + prerequisites (needed libs) + scripts I used.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:04 pm

mikro wrote: and it's really slow (even though nothing is happening -- I mean mostly loading times, ridiculously slow even on Aranym)

How about the game itself, does it seem playable speedwise? And in what resolution have you done tests?
I remember that Keith's port ( it was version 0.5 or so ) on CT63 accelerated Falcon worked really fine in resolutions up to 800x600.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Nope, it's just loading -- I can't get it working at all, due to the point 1.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Strange. You tried to compile Keiths sources? It was 0.51 version.

If I remember correctly I got it working Keiths port on my Milan 060 in GEM window and it was playable. But I had hard disc crash and everything has gone ... :(

Anyway jury provided me 68k binaries and it opens gem window and then stops. I dont know why it shouldn be playable on the FireBee if it is on CT60 Falcon? Scummvm is playable without any optimisation :)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:22 pm

vido wrote:Strange. You tried to compile Keiths sources? It was 0.51 version.

Nope, the latest. There's no point of recompiling something that old, esp. if it already exists.

Anyway jury provided me 68k binaries and it opens gem window and then stops.

Have you tried "flags -S ./openttd.ttp" ? Or running in without memory protection?

I dont know why it shouldn be playable on the FireBee if it is on CT60 Falcon? Scummvm is playable without any optimisation :)

Fullscreen? If so, then perhaps things have changed. Last time I checked the XBIOS function were unusable.

Anyway, I found the culprit why it crashes on that assert, I must think whether it's easy to work around...

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:08 pm

mikro wrote:
vido wrote:Strange. You tried to compile Keiths sources? It was 0.51 version.

Nope, the latest. There's no point of recompiling something that old, esp. if it already exists.

Hmmm ... in a way I agree, except there is no Coldfire binaries of 0.51 version.

Have you tried "flags -S ./openttd.ttp" ? Or running in without memory protection?

I tried again 68k binaries on my FireBee and I got it running with disabled sound and music "-s null -m null" but it is unplayable as mouse is not working :(
Other way demo runs at acceptable speed. If there would be Coldfire binaries compiled with latest SDL I believe it would be much faster and mouse would work.

I dont know why it shouldn be playable on the FireBee if it is on CT60 Falcon? Scummvm is playable without any optimisation :)

Fullscreen? If so, then perhaps things have changed. Last time I checked the XBIOS function were unusable.

I play it in window 640x480 resolution on 1600x1200 32bit resolution. Goblins 2 & 3 works great with sound enabled. Fullscreen dont work except ALT+Enter option.

Anyway, I found the culprit why it crashes on that assert, I must think whether it's easy to work around...

If you would find the solution and provide the binaries it would be just great! :)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:20 pm

Would something like this be playable on Firebee:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nazghul/
?

Many years ago I contributed optimization to that game for 400Mhz ARM in form of 16-bit gfx support in addition to original 32-bit support. Speed difference was very clear.

Does OpenTTD use 8, 16, 24 or 32 bit graphics / mode?

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:Would something like this be playable on Firebee:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nazghul/
?

Seems to me it would be playable. But I am not a coder and I guess it depends on the code ...

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:47 pm

So... you'd like to play something like ...

IMG_20150318_213941-1.jpg

... this? ;-)

Yeah, I can't make a screenshot, I'm so terrible with computers. You can see compiling the CF version in the background. To me surprise, xbios video doesn't work in Aranym (of course I was trying in console, not in desktop) but it does on my Falcon. And it works in gem, too (as you can see).

I'll try to provide you with a test binary, but I'm afraid it will have some limitations -- like it requires a long-name aware filesystem, maybe even an unix os (=freemint with a shell etc).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Mikro, you are the man! :)
I have long-filename FS, mint and CLI :)

Waiting ... :)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Here you are, folks: http://ge.tt/8K3GXVC2?c

Few notes:
- this is a post 1.5.0-beta2 version (latest svn, wow, now I see it's a RC1!)
- best to do is to download a build from https://www.openttd.org/en/download-testing and copy the atari binaries into the top level directory
- you need the open gfx/msx/sounds as mentioned! (tested only with them)
- as mentioned, there's a good chance you need a long-name aware FS
- maybe it was just a coincidence but I had some troubles when I didn't create $HOME/.openttd manually, try that, too
- the only way I tested it was "./openttd -m null -s null -b 8bpp-optimized" (m68020-60 version only)
- the stack size is 512 KB, there's a good chance you need to set TPA_INITIALMEM to 4096 in mint.cnf
- I tested it briefly on CT60/fullscreen/rgb and Aranym/gem
- everything to the last bit is optimized for given CPU (thanks to the CF build I discovered a "small" bug and libc was linked from 68000, resulting in +2MB binary!)
- I didn't link in liblzo2 (old save game format) and freetype + icu (internationalization stuff); disabled networking and thread support (networking should be possible, there's one function missing in mintlib)

If you want to repay me the lost four days of my life ;), please do all possible testing -- original TTD data files, TOS, short names, sounds, music, SDL as xbios, gem etc (you can set it via "export SDL_VIDEODRIVER") ... anything you can think of.

Then I'll do a proper release with patches, fixes and everything.

Have fun and report back! :)
Last edited by mikro on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Social Media

Return to “Games”