OpenTTD?

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: OpenTTD?

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:I didn't pursue trying to get hard disk image working, that would need writing something that copies/clips the file names as TOS does it, instead of how MTools does it... (I may write some script for that later on as it could be useful also with Douglas' Quake port :-))

I wrote such script and added it to Hatari Mercurial repo. OpenTTD works with HD images created using it as fine as with Hatari GEMDOS HD emulation.

Btw. OpenTTD works also with EmuTOS, well as with normal TOS (only on Falcon though as EmuTOS doesn't support TT 8-bit mode).

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:04 pm

FYI: To avoid game start crashing under plain TOS on TT/Falcon, it's enough to switch "Land generator" to "original".

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:18 pm

mikro wrote:Looking forward for more tests but as a candy, there you go: http://ge.tt/2JYZnMD2?c ... OpenTTD with Olivier's patches, i.e. mouse is now responding much faster.

Tried it with SuperVidel. After some loading from hdd, it silently terminates. No sign of it in the Task manager... My old binaries work, but no mouse. SDL_VIDEODRIVER is set to GEM.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:45 am

jvas wrote:Tried it with SuperVidel. After some loading from hdd, it silently terminates. No sign of it in the Task manager... My old binaries work, but no mouse. SDL_VIDEODRIVER is set to GEM.

Try start it with parameters "-m null -s null". You dissable music and sound with it. I had similar problem fist time I started it on my FireBee. Later I was able to start it with sound and music enabled. But when I try to play music in OpenTTD it crashes. Sound works ok.

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:40 pm

It claims, that no available language packs. But the lang dir is there. What is the current structure of data files? It seems my installation is not compatible with this executable...

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:57 pm

jvas wrote:It claims, that no available language packs. But the lang dir is there. What is the current structure of data files? It seems my installation is not compatible with this executable...

Code: Select all

openttd$ find -type d
./scripts
./docs
./lang
./game
./baseset
./data
./data/opengfx
./man
./gm
./gm/openmsx-0.3.1
./ai

Just get the (stable version?) data packages from OpenTTD site.

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks to Eero, now it starts.
With SDL_VIDEODRIVER=XBIOS, the screen is corrupted, so I went back to GEM.
First it claims that there is not enough memory, and advise me to disable 32bpp graphics. But I don't know high.
With the default settings, it is damn slow and is not playable....

jury
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby jury » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:51 pm

A lot clues on running this game you will find here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13658#p270580
( there is also a parameter how to force 8bpp graphics, so it wont complain about not enough memory :) )

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:15 am

jury wrote:A lot clues on running this game you will find here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13658#p270580
( there is also a parameter how to force 8bpp graphics, so it wont complain about not enough memory :) )

Ah thanks, I searched through the net, since this hint to disable 32bpp graphics are coming from the program itself... Never thought, the answer is here... Will try it this evening.

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 pm

OK found a working configuration:
SDL_VIDEODRIVER=XBIOS (xaaes.cnf)
fullscreen=true (openttd.cfg)
-b 8bb-optimized (command line parameter)

The performance is great with these settings. Only autosave locks the system for couple of seconds....
Would be great, if the command line parameter could be set in the cfg file...

Thanks to all for the help!

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:59 pm

Ha Ha - Beat me to it. I was fast honing in on a similar config with my setup!

Just need some time to burn so I can really play it properly. Is music working ok on your system? I have also downloaded the commercial resource files for TTD but not tried them yet. They exist as separate files and not as package files like the OpenTTD resource files so I'm guessing I can just point -s and -m at some directory where they all reside and it'll work itself out.
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Fri May 01, 2015 6:12 pm

No music. That will be the next challenge. Will post here if I succeed with that.

jury

Postby jury » Sun May 03, 2015 8:48 pm

jvas wrote: Only autosave locks the system for couple of seconds....
Would be great, if the command line parameter could be set in the cfg file...

If you play in MiNT, there is no need for a command line parameter, just go to options and turn autosave off. This setting will be rememberd until the next change, but in TOS, unfortunately the settings are not saved, so it needs to be changed each time the game is run.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon May 04, 2015 6:38 am

jury wrote:This setting will be rememberd until the next change, but in TOS, unfortunately the settings are not saved, so it needs to be changed each time the game is run.

I see. This must be because it tries to save in $HOME/~.openttdrc or so, I'll add DOS-like path handling for our target then. As you have noticed, there's 1.5.0 available so it would make sense to release it for Atari, too. My work duties are nearing to the end, so stay tuned ;)

jury

Postby jury » Mon May 04, 2015 8:17 am

mikro wrote: As you have noticed, there's 1.5.0 available so it would make sense to release it for Atari, too.

Exactly! :)
And if you will have a lot time now ;) could you please look into loading/saving procedure, something must be wrong as those operations take forever, even simple choosing file in the file dialog takes about 6 - 8 seconds.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon May 04, 2015 9:31 am

jury wrote:And if you will have a lot time now ;) could you please look into loading/saving procedure, something must be wrong as those operations take forever, even simple choosing file in the file dialog takes about 6 - 8 seconds.

Hmmm ... there is no such problems in FireBee version. Autosave takes about 2 seconds and also saving/loading game is done in reasonable time.

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Mon May 04, 2015 9:38 am

Yes, the firebee is definitely faster than the CT60. But I think, while playing, 2 seconds is way too slow for autosaving. It should happen almost un-noticable to the player.... Don't want to complain though, just my thoughts.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon May 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Now that OpenTTD works with Hatari and its profiler supports TT-RAM, the issue could be profiled... :-)

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:16 pm

For the firebee users: Could you please provide me a working setup? Didn´t get it to run on mine (neither TOS, nor Firebee MiNT) but wanted to show it on OFAM in two weeks (http://ofam.de.vu). Best contact me via email: christian.hellmuth@gmx.de

Thanks a lot in advance!

Chris
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:00 am

MacFalcon wrote:For the firebee users: Could you please provide me a working setup? Didn´t get it to run on mine (neither TOS, nor Firebee MiNT) but wanted to show it on OFAM in two weeks (http://ofam.de.vu). Best contact me via email: christian.hellmuth@gmx.de

I will provide you a working setup ... just to get behind my FireBee and make an archieve of it.

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks a lot!

Chris
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:40 am

For all who have problems with running openttd: Today I managed to get it working! Download the whole PC installation from here https://binaries.openttd.org/releases/1 ... -win64.zip - not just the gfx/snds/etc like I did. Then copy the Atari020 or CF binary into the folder and have fun. For the firebee it also works on xaaes for me. "setenv SDL_VIDEODRIVER gem" has to be written in mint.cnf (gives me some message like unknown command during mint boot, but works).

Could someone please host the atari binaries (also for scummvm) on a webpage that can be surfed with an atari browser?

Best regards,

Chris

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:05 pm

MacFalcon wrote:For all who have problems with running openttd: Today I managed to get it working! Download the whole PC installation from here https://binaries.openttd.org/releases/1 ... -win64.zip - not just the gfx/snds/etc like I did. Then copy the Atari020 or CF binary into the folder and have fun. For the firebee it also works on xaaes for me. "setenv SDL_VIDEODRIVER gem" has to be written in mint.cnf (gives me some message like unknown command during mint boot, but works).

Could someone please host the atari binaries (also for scummvm) on a webpage that can be surfed with an atari browser?

Great you resolved the problem and have OpenTTD working on your FireBee.
When download page on the firebee.org will be operational (I am working on it) I will upload fully prepared OpenTTD archieve for the FireBee. As I dont have working Falcon I can not prepare for it. But I believe on the Falcon should run the same setup so I could include also Falcon binaries.

Social Media

Return to “Games”