All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: OpenTTD?

Postby vido » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Thank you!!!
Now I am downloading and as it is late I will go to sleep.
Tomorrow I will start testing ... :)

jury
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby jury » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:02 pm

GREAT! :) Thanks a lot.
I will start with tests at most this weekend.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:28 am

For now I can just say that CF version works on the FireBee with sound. No other tests yet ... but great for now! :)

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:23 am

Now I have been playing OpenTTD on my FireBee for a few days and I can say it is stable if you dont resize GEM window. If you resize it, it often crashes. Regardin speed it is about the same speed as 68k version of Keith running on the FireBee. But the speed mostly depends of the size of GEM window. Sound is working and is not much afecting the performance. I didnt try with music, but I believe there would be a crash or it would not be usable on the FireBee. The game is playable except reactions of the mouse are slow. Especialy slow reaction of the mouse click is annoying.

This is it for now. It is great game and I really enjoy playin it while I am doing other things on my FireBee. It is perfect game for it! Thanks!
I see on the other thread it could be improved if it would be compiled with patched Oliviers SDL :)
Last edited by vido on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:50 am

Thank you for your test, Vido!

vido wrote:I can say it is stable if you dont resize GEM window. If you resize it, it often crashes.

I had no idea you can do that! :) OK, I might look into this, it's possible it's an easy issue.

I didnt try with music, but I believe there would be a crash or it would not be usable on the FireBee.

You should -- there's nothing wrong with audio on the FB -- see mxPlay as an example. Patrice has sworn the audio issues are gone so it shouldn't crash. Maybe playback would be laggy but that's it.

I see on the other thread it could be improved if it would be compiled with patched Oliviers SDL :)

True :) Also, if you can, try the original dataset (from TTDX), various configurations, ...

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:50 am

mikro wrote:
I didnt try with music, but I believe there would be a crash or it would not be usable on the FireBee.

You should -- there's nothing wrong with audio on the FB -- see mxPlay as an example. Patrice has sworn the audio issues are gone so it shouldn't crash. Maybe playback would be laggy but that's it.

I will try it. But as I remember the first time I started Open TTD without any switch and that means sound and music were enabled but the game crashed. Still it could be something else. I will try again.

True :) Also, if you can, try the original dataset (from TTDX), various configurations, ...

I play OpenTTD with original dataset. I didnt try yet datasets from OpenTTD site. I think it will be time to try in next days.

I am also looking forward to try new binaries compiled with Oliviers patched SDL :)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:31 pm

Looking forward for more tests but as a candy, there you go: http://ge.tt/2JYZnMD2?c ... OpenTTD with Olivier's patches, i.e. mouse is now responding much faster.

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:27 pm

mikro wrote:Looking forward for more tests but as a candy, there you go: http://ge.tt/2JYZnMD2?c ... OpenTTD with Olivier's patches, i.e. mouse is now responding much faster.

Thank you Mikro! For now I just replaced old binaries with the new one and mouse is really improved and that makes playing the game more enjoyable! But that is for now. Dont have much time to test right now. Actualy what would you like me to test?
Oh ... I started the game also with the music enabled and it didnt crash. But there is no music. I guess original dataset dont have it? :)

And another thing. The window is hard to resize now compared to the previous version where you could resize window as you wanted. Now its harder or in most trys impossible, but now if you success it dont crash, before crashed in most cases.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:49 pm

I tried running this with Hatari Falcon & TT emulation and the game really is memory hungry...

This was with 256MB of TT-RAM, all data sets and with no options given to OpenTTD:

Code: Select all

dbg: [misc] Not enough memory to allocate 512 MiB of spritecache. Spritecache was reduced to 1 MiB.
GEMDOS 0x3D Fopen("c:\data\opengfx\ogfxe_extra.grf", read-only) at PC=0xFA002A
Error: Out of memory. Cannot allocate 181632 bytes
Crash encountered, generating crash log...
*** OpenTTD Crash Report ***

Crash at: Mon Mar 30 22:26:58 2015
In game date: 0-01-01 (0)

Crash reason:
 Signal:   (6)

OpenTTD version:
 Version:    r27211M (2)
 NewGRF ver: 16006a4b
 Bits:       32
 Endian:     big
 Dedicated:  no
 Build date: Mar 30 2015 18:01:59

Stacktrace:
 Not supported.

Operating system:
 Name:     TOS
 Release:  0.30
 Version:  4.4
 Machine:  falcon
 Compiler: GCC 4.6.4 "4.6.4 (MiNT 20130415)"

Configuration:
 Blitter:      32bpp-anim
 Graphics set: OpenGFX (974)
 Language:     /dev/c/lang/english.lng
 Music driver: extmidi
 Music set:    NoMusic (0)
 Network:      no
 Sound driver: sdl
 Sound set:    OpenSFX (87)
 Video driver: sdl

With 512MB of TT-RAM, opensfx-*.tar and most of languages files removed, and using the options you recommended on previous page, it manages to do reads for "ogfxe_extra.grf" more times until again:

dbg: [misc] Not enough memory to allocate 128 MiB of spritecache. Spritecache was reduced to 2 MiB.
GEMDOS 0x3D Fopen("c:\data\opengfx\ogfx1_base.grf", read-only)
GEMDOS 0x3D Fopen("c:\data\opengfx\ogfxi_logos.grf", read-only)
GEMDOS 0x3D Fopen("c:\data\opengfx\ogfxe_extra.grf", read-only)
< 9 more opens & reads of "ogfxe_extra.grf" until finally...>
Error: Out of memory. Cannot allocate 212160 bytes

Same thing happens with 1024MB of TT-RAM, so it cannot be device itself running out of memory. And same thing happens also with TOS v3 and EmuTOS v0.9.4 so it doesn't seem TOS issue either.

When I tried game with Aranym, it came up with 64MB of FastRAM which verifies that it's not device memory issue. With 256MB of FastRAM game said that sprite cache was set only to 128MB, which complaint disappeared when I used "-b 8bpp-optimized" option.

The options one can use to run the game using latest Hatari from Mercurial are (with Falcon/TOS v4 you need also "--addr24 off" and specify FPU):

hatari-prg-args.sh --conout 2 --machine tt --tos <v3|EmuTOS image> -s 14 --ttram 256 -- ./openttd-m68020.gtp  -m null -s null -b 8bpp-optimized

Below is list of all the files the game opens until crashing. From that one can see that above issue happens on *3rd* time it goes through "opengfx" directory contents, and on last round it just seems to be reading "ogfxe_extra.grf" in a loop until it runs out of memory:

c:\lang\english.lng
c:\lang\english_.lng
c:\lang\english_.lng
c:\lang\finnish.lng
c:\lang\french.lng
c:\lang\german.lng
c:\lang\russian.lng
c:\lang\swedish.lng
c:\lang\english.lng
c:\data\opengfx\opengfx.obg
c:\data\opengfx\ogfx1_base.grf
c:\data\opengfx\ogfxi_logos.grf
c:\data\opengfx\ogfxc_arctic.grf
c:\data\opengfx\ogfxh_tropical.grf
c:\data\opengfx\ogfxt_toyland.grf
c:\data\opengfx\ogfxe_extra.grf
c:\baseset\orig_dos.obg
c:\baseset\OPENTTD.GRF
c:\baseset\orig_dos.obg
c:\baseset\orig_win.obg
c:\data\opengfx\opengfx.obg
c:\baseset\openttd.32.bmp
c:\baseset\no_sound.obs
c:\baseset\orig_dos.obs
c:\baseset\orig_win.obs
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\openmsx.obm
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\tttheme2.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\big_man_boogie_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\ttsong_iv_imuh3.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\modern_motion.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\busy_schedule.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\the_fast_route.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\ttsong_iii_imuh3.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\train_filled_with_cash.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\flying_scotsman.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\chuggachugga.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\the_hobo_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\ultimate_run.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\midnight_snow_run.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\run_for_your_life.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\coconut_run2.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\harp_harmony.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\mighty_giant_run.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\wood_whistles.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\linns_basket.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\relax_song.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\chemistry_lab.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\5432gone_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\boogi_marabi_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\moo_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\say_what_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\be_sharp_bw_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\careless_perc_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\mosey_along_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\slow_neasy_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\city_blues_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\no_work_song_redfarn.mid
c:\baseset\no_music.obm
c:\baseset\orig_win.obm
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\openmsx.obm
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\tttheme2.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\big_man_boogie_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\ttsong_iv_imuh3.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\modern_motion.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\busy_schedule.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\the_fast_route.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\ttsong_iii_imuh3.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\train_filled_with_cash.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\flying_scotsman.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\chuggachugga.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\the_hobo_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\ultimate_run.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\midnight_snow_run.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\run_for_your_life.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\coconut_run2.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\harp_harmony.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\mighty_giant_run.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\wood_whistles.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\linns_basket.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\relax_song.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\chemistry_lab.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\5432gone_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\boogi_marabi_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\moo_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\say_what_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\be_sharp_bw_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\careless_perc_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\mosey_along_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\slow_neasy_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\city_blues_redfarn.mid
c:\gm\openmsx-.1\no_work_song_redfarn.mid
c:\crash.log
c:\crash.log
c:\crash.sav
c:\crash.sav

However, on testing Linux desktop OpenTTD (older version than yours), that actually reads "ogfxe_extra.grf" 10 times too, and do that 3 times. All "opengfx" directory files are opened few additional times too.

Looking at the list of file names loaded, there are now problems with truncating the names to 8+3, they're unique also at that lenght.

Any comments?

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:48 pm

Vido: well, tests -- anything you can think of. Different datasets, OSes, AESes, SDL_VIDEODRIVER=gem/xbios/i_dont_remember_other_options, ditto for audio...

About the screen resize responsiveness: I guess this has something to do with the optimizations Olivier has made. I'll point him to this thread to answer.

Eero: I run it with Aranym/512 MB but I think I was able to run it with 256 MB, too, exactly as you say, with the 8bpp mode.

Crashing: actually, I think the issue may be here the short names. For me, when I try to load it via FreeMiNT filesystem but on 8+3 drive, it keeps loading stuff in a loop. So yes, you definitely need a long name aware filesystem. Maybe it's trivial to fix but I was lazy to check each of the files which is the trouble maker :)

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 pm

vido wrote:
mikro wrote:Looking forward for more tests but as a candy, there you go: http://ge.tt/2JYZnMD2?c ... OpenTTD with Olivier's patches, i.e. mouse is now responding much faster.

Thank you Mikro! For now I just replaced old binaries with the new one and mouse is really improved and that makes playing the game more enjoyable! But that is for now. Dont have much time to test right now. Actualy what would you like me to test?
Oh ... I started the game also with the music enabled and it didnt crash. But there is no music. I guess original dataset dont have it? :)

And another thing. The window is hard to resize now compared to the previous version where you could resize window as you wanted. Now its harder or in most trys impossible, but now if you success it dont crash, before crashed in most cases.

Hello I have done some investigation about resize issue and as I can see the resize work more or less depending of the cache size openttd is able to reserve, if it is only able to set 16MB really near impossible to resize the window, if set 32 it looks not so bad and work on my Aranym configuration, with 64MB it's fine. So this software need a lot of ram, I think more than 100MB!

I don't think there is a problem in SDL itself and notice previous version crash very quickly when resize. For curious people using MyAES 0.96 p1 or p2 try the fuller widget!

Olivier
OL

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:18 pm

mikro wrote:Crashing: actually, I think the issue may be here the short names. For me, when I try to load it via FreeMiNT filesystem but on 8+3 drive, it keeps loading stuff in a loop. So yes, you definitely need a long name aware filesystem. Maybe it's trivial to fix but I was lazy to check each of the files which is the trouble maker :)

What I tried to say, but typoed, was that about all the names are unique even when shortened into 8+3. Only ones that overlap are:
- couple of language files -> shouldn't be a problem (especially if one removes extra lang files)
- couple of music files -> shouldn't be a problem
- "orig_dos_de.obg" and "orig_dos.obg" -> what these are?

-> I don't think uniqueness is a a problem. Does OPENTTD do any comparisons for filenames it actually gets from file system instead of file name it used to open the file?

Btw. when OpenTTD works, it really reads these files this many times (actually many more).

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:23 am

To be honest, I have no clue. I only know that OpenTTD really doesn't like short name file systems. However, not all hope is lost. There's a lot of #ifdefs for DOS and Amiga targets, many of them in a filesystem related files so I guess it's just matter of adding __MINT__ to these as well.

jury

Postby jury » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Oh my god! Latest build with Oliviers patched SDL plays just BRILLIANT :D
I have waited for some serious RTS or Tycoon game on Falcon for so long and now my prayers were listened :)
Thanks guys!!!

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:48 pm

mikro wrote:To be honest, I have no clue. I only know that OpenTTD really doesn't like short name file systems. However, not all hope is lost. There's a lot of #ifdefs for DOS and Amiga targets, many of them in a filesystem related files so I guess it's just matter of adding __MINT__ to these as well.

Ok, things worked so far because Hatari GEMDOS HD emulation clips the file names in TOS compatible way. But Hatari GEMDOS HD emulation doesn't respect Alt-RAM bits in program header...

When I just copied things into FAT formatted HD image (so that real TOS does program loading), OpenTTD didn't find the files because they didn't match how TOS clips the file names. I.e. filenames & paths would need to be renamed into how TOS clips the longer ones that OpenTTD asks TOS for.

What the DOS & Amiga ifdefs do for file names?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 pm

Hatari Mercurial version supports now profiling code also in TT-RAM.

Hatari GEMDOS HD emulation doesn't support loading programs into TT-RAM though, so one needs to run them from HD image (so that TOS v3, v4 or EmuTOS loads them into TT-RAM based on program header bits).

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Some test results from playing OpenTTD on the FireBee ...

It works stable. Playing a two weeks in one piece without any crash. With sound is playable, music dont work on the FireBee at all. If you try to play it OpenTTD crashes with any SDL sound settings. It works with standard windows original GFX and sound files ant it works with OpenGFX and OpenSND files.

It doesnt work with xbios set for GFX but it works under gem on the FireBee. Well ... it works also with xbios but there is no gfx output, jut sound of the game in the background :)

Different SDL sound settings<.
- mint_gsxb - works only sound
- mint_mcsn - woks only sound
- mint_stfa - no sound at all but it works fast
- mint_xbios - freezes the FireBee
- mint_dma8 - disturbed sound - it works very slow
- audio - without any sound, it works fast
- disk - without any sound, it works fast

Thats it from my side.
I really enjoy this game! :)

Now I have another wish for the game engine to compile if it is possible? :)
It is Stratagus game engine and it alows you to play strategy games like Warcraft II etc. which we miss on our platform. I wrote some links here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27834

Such pots as ScummVM, OpenTTD and if possilbe Stratagus makes fast Atari machines like CT60, Milan, Hades, FireBee much more atractive ;)

Thanks!

jury

Postby jury » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:42 am

vido wrote:I really enjoy this game! :)

Yes, a great game to play on our platform :)

I have a question thou. I also played it quite some time ( but on CT'ed Falcon ) and it plays generally great, but lately I have observed an issue that if I play it straight for like like 40-60 minutes than the game starts to really slow down, to a point, that if I have like 4 additional views opened, its almost stopped ( animations, mouse movement ... ) If I save the game, quit to os, run again and load it, then I can comfortably play it for some time again. Have you observed anything similiar on your setup?
Last edited by jury on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:08 am

There's a lot of stuff to play with. For example Exult, an engine to run Ultima VII. But I don't have time for this right now :-(

(sorry Eero, I'll reply you about the profiling asap!)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:Hatari GEMDOS HD emulation doesn't support loading programs into TT-RAM though

Thomas commited a fix for this issue, so now OpenTTD starts fine in Hatari, both under TT and Falcon emulation as long as there's enough TT-RAM (8bpp option helps). Everything coming directly from buttons in the main screen works too.

"New Game " -> "Generate" fails with default settings to bus error (might be issue in my OpenTTD data files).

Selecting "original" settings allowed "Generate" to work too.

Selecting in-game the "Operating profit graphs" option gives exception 3.

As to performance, game does autosave really often, and that is really slow even with GEMDOS HD emulation.

No idea whether these warnings shown at startup have anything to do with the issues:

dbg: [sl] Game Load Failed
Internal error: liblzma returned error code
dbg: [grf] Palette sprites are missing
dbg: [sprite] Tried to load normal sprite #723 as a recolour sprite. Probable cause: NewGRF interference

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:29 am

Oh, great, great! How did you solve the neverending loading problem? Was it really something with a filesystem?

The lzma messages do look scary, though. I don't see anything like that on freemint. Maybe it tries to create a temp file or something like that?

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:44 am

jury wrote:Yes, a great game to play on our platform :)

I have a question thou. I also played it quite some time ( but on CT'ed Falcon ) and it plays generally great, but lately I have observed an issue that if I play it straight for like like 40-60 minutes than the game starts to really slow down, to a point, that if I have like 4 additional views opened, its almost stopped ( animations, mouse movement ... ) If I save the game, quit to os, run again and load it, then I can comfortably play it for some time again. Have you observed anything similiar on your setup?

I also have all the time opened 4 additional views and that really slows down the game speed. But on my FireBee it is still playable vith 800x600 GEM window.After some time it also slows down. But it is not that it almost stops. It is playable. While I play the game I usualy chat via aIRC and do some other things. I also have some other "gadgets" running on my desktop as phWeather, phClock, phNews, Notes, ...
If I close all those applications the game is much faster. Also I played a game two weeks in one piece and it newer crashed and also the slownes which came after some time playing it, it dissapeared in aditional playing and then came back again, it dissapeared, ...
So ... after some time the game became slow, then fast again, slow, fast, slow, ... I didnt find the reason why? Maybe the cache was full, some other process slows it down , ...

Do you have supervidel?

I also should made my setup running EmuTOS and MiNT in pure Coldfire mode. I think in that case OpenTTD would run also much faster as I believe FireTOS with its emulation slows down the system. But I have to reflash EmuTOS with the new version.

jury

Postby jury » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:28 pm

vido wrote:
Do you have supervidel?

Yes, I run it under SV.
Hmm, so if you say so, I have to wait a little bit next time when I get this slowness and maybe it will go away by itself, so I will not have to quit and run again this game. I also want to check if replacing RAM with 512MB board ( I have 256 currently ) will do any help.
Last edited by jury on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:04 pm

mikro wrote:Oh, great, great! How did you solve the neverending loading problem? Was it really something with a filesystem?

I think it was some kind of memory problem related to where the allocs are done from. It disappeared after GEMDOS HD cartridge code Pexec0 implementation call TOS Pexec7 instead of Pexec5 (former can be given program flags as argument).

I didn't pursue trying to get hard disk image working, that would need writing something that copies/clips the file names as TOS does it, instead of how MTools does it... (I may write some script for that later on as it could be useful also with Douglas' Quake port :-))

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:53 am

mikro wrote:There's a lot of stuff to play with. For example Exult, an engine to run Ultima VII. But I don't have time for this right now :-(

(sorry Eero, I'll reply you about the profiling asap!)

Haven't it touched it in a while, but I used to love Exult under Linux.

Getting that running on a higher end Atari would be simply awesome! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Social Media

Return to “Games”