Carebears overscan 3d cube

This is where you post all your requests for demos, intros, pubtros etc...

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

powerman_twb
Atari User
Atari User

Carebears overscan 3d cube

Postby powerman_twb » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:56 pm

Did I image it or did TCB make a demo featuring a 3d cube spinning in full overscan?

If they did, does anyone have it or know the name?

leonard

Postby leonard » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:29 pm

I guess you "image" it. To my knowledge, TCB never released such a screen.

Oxygene has done a 1 frame 3d cube in our "O-Demo", and Ziggy Stardust made a fullscreen 3d filled vector. Holocaust made some precomputed 3d fullscreen too I guess. But not TCB.

Maybe you remember the "24 hours screen" by Nick in the Syntax Terror demo, featuring a 3d cube and moving background, but it was not in fullscreen.
Leonard/OXYGENE.

powerman_twb
Atari User
Atari User

Postby powerman_twb » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:10 pm

Of course! It was Nick's screen in Syntax Terror I was thinking of....

Zappy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Zappy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:17 am

>Oxygene has done a 1 frame 3d cube in our "O-Demo"

How did this one work, by the way ?

>Holocaust made some precomputed 3d fullscreen too I guess.

Yep.

- Pierre

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:48 pm

Well, Leonard can answer for certain, but I got an idea from Dbug II/NeXT after studying a bit his source of the "Illusion" STE demo. What he proposed was to break the 3d cube into vertical scanlines, and then for every frame store only the unique scanlines. Then you could have a 272 entries (or so) table for each frame and blit the appropriate scanlines.

Thus you get a 2d instead of 3d screen (illusion ;))

/George
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

leonard

Postby leonard » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:35 am

How did this one work, by the way ?

As you did I guess: precomputed :-)

The *big* cube is precomputed in delta pack. ( drawing and clearing are stored as delta-values). For each frame, I have a number of "struct" to draw. Each struct contains an offset and a bitmap value. I have a special struct for CLS wich contains only a list of offset.

The big cube data won't fit in memory, so I use a trick: all lines are doubled in Y ( you don't notice it easyly as the cube is spinning quite fast).

The memory is full, but I have many CPU left !! ( about 60% !)
Leonard/OXYGENE.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:03 am

Wow! I hadn't even noticed that :)

Of course, when I was watching the O-demo a few years ago, my STE was connected to a lousy TV that blurred a lot (try coding in turbo assembler with it - lots of fun :)). So I hadn't even noticed. (but I will this afternoon ;))

George

Tanis
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Tanis » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:46 pm

Nopes. We never made a 3D cube. We did make a 3D demo though which featured a little camera flight through Nick's house which stopped by a computer screen that was divided into 4 demo screens. It was meant to be a part of our final mega demo, but we never finished it, and I think I released that demo to Dogue de Mauve of the Overlanders for further distribution.
I think that was the only 3D demo we ever did. Apart from a bootsector demo where the main menu was 3D numbers (1, 2 and 3) for the different screens. I am not sure if we ever released this demo though.

Showaddywaddy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Showaddywaddy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:49 pm

Yeah.. it was Flashback

http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=11784

Incredible logo Tanis! :)

Shw

Dbug
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Dbug » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:58 pm

ggn wrote:Well, Leonard can answer for certain, but I got an idea from Dbug II/NeXT after studying a bit his source of the "Illusion" STE demo. What he proposed was to break the 3d cube into vertical scanlines, and then for every frame store only the unique scanlines. Then you could have a 272 entries (or so) table for each frame and blit the appropriate scanlines.

/George

Lol, somebody did it :)
Happy to hear that somebody took the time to look at my source code .

An overscan 3D cube was planed in my STE screen, but other members of the group wanted it to run on an halfmeg machine, and well, I guess we were also running out of time, we needed to finish the Phaleon Demo one day :D

Tanis
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Tanis » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:59 pm

Thank you. :D

I took one of my mom's strange 80'ies 'hold your shirtsleeves up'-thingies and bent them to see how the reflections were. It took quite a while, and it's almost unreadable... but it was good fun doing... :)

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:39 am

Tanis wrote:Nopes. We never made a 3D cube. We did make a 3D demo though which featured a little camera flight through Nick's house which stopped by a computer screen that was divided into 4 demo screens. It was meant to be a part of our final mega demo, but we never finished it, and I think I released that demo to Dogue de Mauve of the Overlanders for further distribution.
I think that was the only 3D demo we ever did. Apart from a bootsector demo where the main menu was 3D numbers (1, 2 and 3) for the different screens. I am not sure if we ever released this demo though.

How about the 24 hour screen on Syntax Terror? ;)

Dbug wrote:
ggn wrote:Well, Leonard can answer for certain, but I got an idea from Dbug II/NeXT after studying a bit his source of the "Illusion" STE demo. What he proposed was to break the 3d cube into vertical scanlines, and then for every frame store only the unique scanlines. Then you could have a 272 entries (or so) table for each frame and blit the appropriate scanlines.

/George

Lol, somebody did it :)
Happy to hear that somebody took the time to look at my source code .

An overscan 3D cube was planed in my STE screen, but other members of the group wanted it to run on an halfmeg machine, and well, I guess we were also running out of time, we needed to finish the Phaleon Demo one day :D

Well, let's just say that I had some free time during my uni years :)

George

Social Media

Return to “Demos - Requests”