Atari ST Space Ace Demo Vs Amiga Space Demo....and STe??

This is where you post all your requests for demos, intros, pubtros etc...

Moderators: lotek_style, Mug UK, Moderator Team

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Atari ST Space Ace Demo Vs Amiga Space Demo....and STe??

Postby qq1975b » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi,

When I was a teenager and Amiga and Atari ruled the computer world, there was a demo that impressed me: The Space Ace demo. I saw it only on Amiga and never on an Atari ST. It was running in all the shops.
The time passed and finally I got the Atari ST version of the demo. I think it looks pretty good and only two major things are missing vs the Amiga version:

The screen size: Amiga version has a bigger screen size than Atari.
Scenes: The Atari ST version has less scenes than the Amiga one (maybe due to disk space?)

I don't know about the screen refreshing in Hz

And here is my question: The Atari STe is capable of running the same Amiga version quality? Screen size images and cut scenes? I think the Ste only takes advantage of the 4096 pallete.

Here I attach pictures of the Atari ST version, and two of the Amiga version. The first one is the same scene than the Atari, where you can see some differences, and the other one is one of the scenes that there isn't in the Atari version.

Finally the .adf and .st files of the Amiga and Atari versions of the Space Ace demo.
Space Ace - Demo Version.zip

Atari Space Ace.jpg

Space Ace (demo-rolling) (1990)(ReadySoft).zip

Amiga 1 Space Ace.jpg

Amiga 2 Space Ace.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trying to learn...

swatcop
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Atari ST Space Ace Demo Vs Amiga Space Demo....and STe??

Postby swatcop » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm

Amiga has 32 colors on screen out of 4096.
Atari ST and STe has 16 colors on screen out of 512 or 4096.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Space Ace was coded to take advantage of the STe's extended pallet. Also, short of coding tricks even with the enhanced pallet, the STe would be limited to 16 colors on screen.

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:11 pm

qq1975b wrote:The screen size: Amiga version has a bigger screen size than Atari.

Amiga supports overscan and even without that, its screen is wider, because of lower pixelclock.
On ST/E you have to use tricks to open the borders.

Scenes: The Atari ST version has less scenes than the Amiga one (maybe due to disk space?)

I don't think so. Both platfroms use a DD floppy with similar capacity. Many games and demos on ST use >800kB format.
Also the Amiga version most probably uses more that 16 colors and higher shample rate audio, that requires more storage space.

And here is my question: The Atari STe is capable of running the same Amiga version quality? Screen size images and cut scenes? I think the Ste only takes advantage of the 4096 pallete.

With a couple of tricks, yes. But why? The game is dumb.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:45 pm

Not the game, the demo. It is a demo that in that time was said that only Amiga could do that
Trying to learn...

Hazzardus
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Hazzardus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:42 pm

qq1975b wrote:Not the game, the demo. It is a demo that in that time was said that only Amiga could do that

Sorry can't help much, but I do remember owning both the game, and also getting the demo from a PD library... The demo looked far better than the actual release, both for ST and Amiga... I don't think Readysoft released the Space Ace demo? I'm sure it was demoscene, but I don't mind being proved wrong...

Same as the original Atari ST Monkey Island 2 demo. That had nothing to do with Lucasarts. Then the subsequent demo where you could actually play the first 5 minutes had nothing to do with them either... That was demoscene but never went past proof of concept...

If The ST wasn't on it's deathbed there would have been an official port of MI2, but by that time ST was on life support.
Own: 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby EvilFranky » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 pm

Hazzardus wrote:Same as the original Atari ST Monkey Island 2 demo. That had nothing to do with Lucasarts. Then the subsequent demo where you could actually play the first 5 minutes had nothing to do with them either... That was demoscene but never went past proof of concept...

I don't ever remember a playable demo of MI2 for the ST...got a link?! Would love to see that.

Hazzardus

Postby Hazzardus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:38 pm

EvilFranky wrote:
Hazzardus wrote:Same as the original Atari ST Monkey Island 2 demo. That had nothing to do with Lucasarts. Then the subsequent demo where you could actually play the first 5 minutes had nothing to do with them either... That was demoscene but never went past proof of concept...

I don't ever remember a playable demo of MI2 for the ST...got a link?! Would love to see that.

Gonna have to find my old SCSI drive and currently it's in the loft... Will look for it when I get chance...
Own: 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)

Social Media

Return to “Demos - Requests”