Turbochip - 7-channel YM+DMA replay

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Turbochip - 7-channel YM+DMA replay

Postby junosix » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Changed the mixing to multiplexed 50kHz and added a handful of effect commands, sounds a lot cleaner now! It's really nice having the space in the YM channels to add very lengthy echo notes.

Now "just" to write an editor...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomchi
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Tomchi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Seconding Dma-sc !!!
There's no way to happiness, happiness is the way ...

Noextra

evil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby evil » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:30 pm

junosix wrote:Changed the mixing to multiplexed 50kHz and added a handful of effect commands, sounds a lot cleaner now! It's really nice having the space in the YM channels to add very lengthy echo notes.

Now "just" to write an editor...

Very well done, this sounds much much better!

Out of curiosity, how much of a VBL frame does it cost to play?

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks! Reading up about the 68k swap instruction for fixed point and figuring it out that way really helped (was doing Bresenham-type scaling before and turns out that's not really the way to go).

It's about a third of a VBL at the moment but that's because I haven't quite got my head around using addx in addition to swap, which will bring the VBL time down a bit then that could be brought down even more by going mono or 25kHz. It's sounding good enough now that I think I want to take it down the quality route rather than possibly compromising the sound for CPU performance.

It's actually not entirely impossible to write tune data directly into the source file and for it to almost look pretty much like it would as a tracker. I've got a couple of things I want to finalise with effects then I'll pop a copy up if people are interested in having a play.

evil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby evil » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:36 pm

junosix wrote:Thanks! Reading up about the 68k swap instruction for fixed point and figuring it out that way really helped (was doing Bresenham-type scaling before and turns out that's not really the way to go).

It's about a third of a VBL at the moment but that's because I haven't quite got my head around using addx in addition to swap, which will bring the VBL time down a bit then that could be brought down even more by going mono or 25kHz. It's sounding good enough now that I think I want to take it down the quality route rather than possibly compromising the sound for CPU performance.

It's actually not entirely impossible to write tune data directly into the source file and for it to almost look pretty much like it would as a tracker. I've got a couple of things I want to finalise with effects then I'll pop a copy up if people are interested in having a play.

A third of a frame isn't bad for a 4-channel 25 kHz (which is what a 50 kHz multiplex is) synth, plus regular YM-sounds.
Looking forward to hearing more from it :-)

Social Media

Return to “Ym rockin'”