Turbochip - 7-channel YM+DMA replay

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Turbochip - 7-channel YM+DMA replay

Postby junosix » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Changed the mixing to multiplexed 50kHz and added a handful of effect commands, sounds a lot cleaner now! It's really nice having the space in the YM channels to add very lengthy echo notes.

Now "just" to write an editor...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomchi
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Tomchi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Seconding Dma-sc !!!
There's no way to happiness, happiness is the way ...

Noextra

evil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby evil » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:30 pm

junosix wrote:Changed the mixing to multiplexed 50kHz and added a handful of effect commands, sounds a lot cleaner now! It's really nice having the space in the YM channels to add very lengthy echo notes.

Now "just" to write an editor...

Very well done, this sounds much much better!

Out of curiosity, how much of a VBL frame does it cost to play?

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks! Reading up about the 68k swap instruction for fixed point and figuring it out that way really helped (was doing Bresenham-type scaling before and turns out that's not really the way to go).

It's about a third of a VBL at the moment but that's because I haven't quite got my head around using addx in addition to swap, which will bring the VBL time down a bit then that could be brought down even more by going mono or 25kHz. It's sounding good enough now that I think I want to take it down the quality route rather than possibly compromising the sound for CPU performance.

It's actually not entirely impossible to write tune data directly into the source file and for it to almost look pretty much like it would as a tracker. I've got a couple of things I want to finalise with effects then I'll pop a copy up if people are interested in having a play.

evil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby evil » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:36 pm

junosix wrote:Thanks! Reading up about the 68k swap instruction for fixed point and figuring it out that way really helped (was doing Bresenham-type scaling before and turns out that's not really the way to go).

It's about a third of a VBL at the moment but that's because I haven't quite got my head around using addx in addition to swap, which will bring the VBL time down a bit then that could be brought down even more by going mono or 25kHz. It's sounding good enough now that I think I want to take it down the quality route rather than possibly compromising the sound for CPU performance.

It's actually not entirely impossible to write tune data directly into the source file and for it to almost look pretty much like it would as a tracker. I've got a couple of things I want to finalise with effects then I'll pop a copy up if people are interested in having a play.

A third of a frame isn't bad for a 4-channel 25 kHz (which is what a 50 kHz multiplex is) synth, plus regular YM-sounds.
Looking forward to hearing more from it :-)

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Got the bones of an editor going now so I'll post the progress so far so you can have a play. Have used it in Hatari, seems to only like TOS 1.62 at the moment though.

There's no way to edit the waveforms or drum sounds yet, but there is a bass drum and snare drum and a handful of wavetable waveforms built in. Hit Escape to get to the operations screen, and hit F2 to load the demo song, then Escape again to get back to the editor screen, then hit Return to start playing. Have attached a text file with some instructions below.

No fancy memory allocation at the moment so if you try to go past pattern $1f it'll crash...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:15 am

After I'd got the STE out to have a nice go on r0x Zero I decided to try this out on the real thing and found there was a problem using a trick to get an extra 16 pixels out of the STE, only seems to work in medium resolution in the emulator and not on actual hardware. So I've altered the screen layout a bit to work with 640x200 and also sorted a problem when running on 2.06. Have updated the attachments above (version number is the same).

MM41
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby MM41 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 pm

tried on my 4mb STe with Satandisk:
if running to the hard drive no sound loaded after F1 :x
if running to the floppy drive after hard driver loaded, sound loaded but bad noise when played :x
if running to floppy (without hard drive) the sound is good :D

i had some freeze when i use TC with my satandisk (no keyboard response)
The hard driver must interfert with TC

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:27 am

Thanks for trying it out! :) I've got an idea what that could be so I'll address that and upload a new version when I've put more features in. Unfortunately I haven't got a Satan or hard disk to test it on.

Here's a cover that I did of one of my favourite C64 tunes, really pleased with how it came out. Have attached it, rename it to TC_DEMO.TC and you should be able to load it in.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 am

Love this.

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:27 am

Wow, will have to try it asap. :)

matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby matt » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Sweet cover is great, and the sound out of TC is superb

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:09 am

"Sweet" sounds great,
IMO much better than SID version
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:25 am

Small update, waveform editor. Screen is a lot smoother on the real thing, Hatari's video recording is a bit low framerate on my laptop.

I'd suggest not having the sound up too loud for this one!

evil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby evil » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Great stuff Junosix!
I've always loved the C64 version of the tune, and while the SID have it's strengths no matter what you compare it with I very much enjoy your Turbochip version (it have it's own strengths).

At 02.00 I first thought the triangle/sine-sounding melody was on the softsynth channels, but realised it's plain square YM, it fooled me completely, sounds great :)

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:22 am

Another update, couple of things to properly sort out still but my girlfriend is down tomorrow so I don't know if I'll have any time before Christmas to do anything more with it for a while, but I've added quite a bit - there's a waveform editor, sample loader and copy/cut and paste functions plus other things. Basic quick guide as a text file within the .zip along with hard disk and disk image versions of the program. Have included a couple of demo songs and some short test patterns.

Hope you have fun with it!

evil wrote:At 02.00 I first thought the triangle/sine-sounding melody was on the softsynth channels, but realised it's plain square YM, it fooled me completely, sounds great :)

It's both :) (if you look at channels 3 (YM) and 6 (DMA) they are the same note data) I absolutely love how that ended up sounding as two layered channels.

matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby matt » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Really excited to hear what people produce with this!

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Could this evolve into transwave synthesis, perhaps? (i.e. modulating through a set of synchronised waveforms, hence producing all sorts of effects such as pulse width modulation or even filter fx). It would consume a bit of memory, but perhaps it won't affect CPU usage that much (I'm clueless obviously since it's not my own code).

I think this is an amazing project. Breaking new ground.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:59 pm

shoggoth wrote:Could this evolve into transwave synthesis, perhaps?

Don't see why not! :) Maybe for Turbochip 2 perhaps but it's a definite possibility. Couple of things to finish off with this version first though but I'll definitely think about it.

mOdmate
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mOdmate » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:41 pm

A*m*a*z*i*n*g*! <3

This could evolve into the greatest tool for the STe of the decade. I cross my fingers you find the time to work on it in the next months!

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Looks great! But, what TOS and setup to use under hatari? I was able to run the first version, but the 0.2 shows just the black screen. Tried TOS1.62 UK, 1.62CZ and 2.6.

BTW, do you plan to add support for the MIDI input and Hi resolution?

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Hey junosix, glad to see an update with copy/paste functions. :)
I've tried playing with the editor and understanding the "instrument-less" approach.

Some suggestions (as always with such early versions):
- Key repeat should be added to the editor (more than crucial imho ;)).
- Key preview mode should not stop entering notes on the pattern.
- When a note is entered, it could recopy "instrument" settings from the last entered note (or having an edit mode for this behaviour).

Do you envision arpeggios on one channel only for the final tool?
This limitation can give some specific kind of composition. But on the other hand, it's a limitation. ;)

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:37 pm

I've been running it as TOS 1.62UK / 1MB STE under Hatari, so not sure what's causing the black screen :?

I plan on MIDI/hires (much) later, when I have everything else sorted.

dma wrote:Key repeat should be added to the editor (more than crucial imho ;)).

Agreed!
dma wrote:- Key preview mode should not stop entering notes on the pattern.
- When a note is entered, it could recopy "instrument" settings from the last entered note (or having an edit mode for this behaviour).

Okay! Will consider it :)

dma wrote:Do you envision arpeggios on one channel only for the final tool?
This limitation can give some specific kind of composition. But on the other hand, it's a limitation. ;)

For the first version, yes.
I'm trying to introduce some deliberate limitations (in order to keep filesize down as data of course increases with each channel added and I don't want CPU use to get too crazy with advanced effects) so getting the balance right is a bit tricky but as we know, limited options can often be a good thing :)

Also instead of the pending tremolo effect I'm going to implement a limited wave-stepping effect for PWM, etc. in its place. Tremolo can be emulated with this using copies of the same waveform at different volumes. Hoping to perhaps have a couple of days before Christmas to have a go at that.

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Ah, switching from 4MB RAM to 1MB did the trick :)

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:51 pm

I am looking forward to the updates!

A thing I would like to see in a tracker would be some advanced chord / scale / mode stuff making use of the circle of fifths to suggest complementary chords and notes.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

Social Media

Return to “Ym rockin'”