YM Stand Alone Sound Modules? I want one!

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Neild323
Retro freak
Retro freak

YM Stand Alone Sound Modules? I want one!

Postby Neild323 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:59 pm

I really, really want a YM module device, midi or USB, so I can use it as a stand alone device for in my band, but also hoping to sequence with it.

I've seen a fair few ready made ones & would rather not go to the hassle of creating one via an arduino unless its relatively straight forward.

I saw a thread on here but the said devices are sold out, and it was from many years ago. So just wondering if anyones aware of any modern YM stand alone devices which could achieve this?

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: YM Stand Alone Sound Modules? I want one!

Postby Atari74user » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:42 pm

You can try Twisted Electron's AY3. I do not have one myself but have thought about it. Twisted Electron do some interesting devices:

https://twisted-electrons.com/ay3/
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF & Steinberg FDI
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, Soundpool M04, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Neild323
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Neild323 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:41 am

Wow, that thing looks awesome! Thanks for the link. Currently I'm between that & also thinking of getting MiST so I can run real ST PRGs & hopefully run a midi keyboard through it. So looking to see if I could also assign modulators to various controls on my keyboard which would be a dream. Perhaps that way I could avoid taking out my ST to events, & hopefully have a wider choice of sounds & arrangements to play with. Hmmm, the possibilities!

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Yeah it looks a nice bit if kit. The MIST could be a good idea, just remember any software with dongles won't work, so song long as that isn't an issue, your quest certainly seems feasible!
:cheers:
Last edited by Atari74user on Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, Soundpool M04, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Neild323
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Neild323 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks pal, comforting to hear this direction could suit all my needs, especially for visuals too which I'm working on. Just got to learn more about MiST & see what options I have, very useful to hear this about dongles already. It'd be great if I could use ROMs on it such as MSA or copied PRGs. My friend has cubase & he's selling his ST to me for £50, with the monitor & all (he's an obsessive hardware collector, owns one of the first 5 moogs ever made too, but still only produces with reason!) Shame if I couldn't get cubase working on it though coz I'd have hoped for that. If I find the right software for this, I think I could be onto a big win!

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:31 pm

One for the first five Moogs, drool that would be nice. I very much like the original hardware root, it marries well with my collective behavior, clones also, I am not adverse to a good clone. Just to note, Cubase is a another piece of software that requires a dongle, however you can get 'cracked' versions of software to negate the dongle. For Cubase you can head on over to here for the cracked version:

http://atarimusic.exxoshost.co.uk/index ... Itemid=221

I can't couch for stability.

Neild323
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Neild323 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:32 am

Ahh that sounds brill mate, thanks for this. I think I need to research the MiST a fair bit to check its going to achieve exactly what I want, but that sounds promising, onto a good start looking into it as it seems. Even if I"m able to run something simple such as Music Studio, hoping a modern usb midi keyboard would be compatible enough to midi map parameters for the knob controls, I'd be in utter bliss!
So excited to see it come together. Currently working on a remix of 'Revenge of Doh', so excited about all of this. I circuit bent a saisho keyboard the other week & as it happens, what ever I did almost identically matches the sound of the synth used in that game. Hopefully all this work will take me to Japan, where I plan to meet my wife :-) haha

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 pm

There should be no reason other than hard work to map any MIDI controller to the MISTs MIDI / MIDI over USB via Cubase Mixer Maps. Of course some equipment do like to play hardball. The MIST has been tested with a cracked version of Cubase as the MIST WIKI testifies: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/Midi

Looking forward to the Revenge of DOH remix! Just had to remind myself of that tune!

Neild323
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Neild323 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:17 pm

I bow down to you Sir! So happy you've taken the time to support me here & point me in the right direction. You will get a special WAV-plate of the finished tune, I'll be only playing it live so will have no release, if you want it of course! So many things to work on at the mo but I think this will hopefully have a lot of longevity in it, to know this is possible is a great start & I guess all thats left, is doing it! Thanks so much!

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:42 pm

My pleasure, glad I could help somewhat! Indeed, it would be a pleasure to receive a WAV of your remix. I find it interesting what you are doing as I share that interest. I have been fiddling with Chiptune and have incorporated a few bits of hardware into my small studio. The studio is in pieces at the moment, as I have moved and now the room which will be my studio is having the electrics sorted ready to set it up again. I have injected some new equipment in the last year, and the 'Chiptune' gear has been some of that, allowing me to indulge in some of my interests, that of music, music technology and old computer technology, it's a nice marriage wrapped up in a big dose of nostalgia of course.

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:42 pm

The MiST is great (I use it for MIDI sequencing) but be aware that there are only two MIDI ports.

The timing is at least as tight with the MiST as an ST, even in STeroids mode. It's great fun and not so expensive.

Great programs to play with are: Cubase Lite, AEX, and Music Mouse (a toy really). The Cubase cracks are flaky at best.
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:25 am

Neild323, you may be interested in this, I know I am:

https://facebook.com/catskullelectronics

Look at the YM2149 synth post. A potential up and coming YM2149 synth based around a Teensy board.

Social Media

Return to “Ym rockin'”