BBC Radio four program about chiptunes

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

BBC Radio four program about chiptunes

Postby siriushardware » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:31 am

25th March, 2017, BBC Radio 4 (UK) - a half hour programme about chiptunes entitled 'While My Guitar Gently Bleeps'.

I didn't hear all of it (I was in the car) but it includes short interviews with Ben Dalglish and Rob Hubbard. Should be available to UK listeners via iPlayer Radio on the BBC website - apologies to those outside the UK who may not be able to get it.

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Re: BBC Radio four program about chiptunes

Postby CiH » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:55 am

I listened to it. Nice introduction to the concept of chip music, but a bit too Gameboy-centric, especially the first half. We did get a bit more diverse later, but I didn't get any sense of the broadness of chip music overall, just a narrow look at certain parts of that scene.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: BBC Radio four program about chiptunes

Postby siriushardware » Wed May 03, 2017 5:39 pm

I listened to the whole thing eventually. I thought it was half an hour too short.

After all the chat about chiptunes and their place in computing history, we didn't hear anything more than a few bars of any individual tune, not even the tune the narrator (Isy Suttie) was supposed to be composing on the back of all the advice she was accumulating. I thought the bit where Ben Dalglish was explaining certain typical effects (such as alternating drum+bass on a single channel, and 'warble chords', each time followed by a short example of what he was talking about), was quite well done. More of that would have been nice.

Really, it just needed more time on each part of the subject.

Social Media

Return to “Ym rockin'”