All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

ignus
Atarian
Atarian

xmms68

Postby ignus » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi guys, first post.

I'm having a strange issue with xmms68, the sc68 xmms plugin. When I play a .sndh file, it plays only exactly the first two minutes! Is this a known problem? Playing .sc68 files in xmms works fine.

Playing a .sndh or a .sc68 file from the command line with sc68 (sending the output to /dev/audio) also doesn't seem to work, all I get is noise, or the program hangs.

In general I also wanted to ask what the best way of playing .sndh under Linux is. Is playing the files under an emulator the best option?

Also, how should one go about composing atari chipmusic :D When I run a tracker under an emulator (I'm using Hatari), are the tracks saved as .ym or .sndh, or do I need to somehow convert them? Is there no tracker like Goattracker for the c64, but for the ST?

Finally, what is the best way to convert .sndh to ogg; should I just use a recording program, or are there any specific apps for this (I couldn't find any)... Is there no mp3/ogg archive for Atari chipmusic, like the SOASC for the c64? After all, I need to listen to chiptunes on my portable audio device as well :D

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: xmms68

Postby bullis1 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:29 pm

ignus wrote:When I play a .sndh file, it plays only exactly the first two minutes!

Many chip tracks loop forever so a player will often have a feature that times them out after a set period. It sounds like this feature is enabled by default in whatever you're using.

There is no ST tracker for PC, like Goattracker for C64. The equivalent of SID but for ST would be SND (SNDH).

If you are going to record the tunes into a digital format like OGG or MP3, I highly recommend you capture the output of a real ST. YM2149 emulation is getting better all the time but it really isn't accurate yet.

EDIT: Most trackers for ST save into their own formats which can be converted into SNDH, but MaxYMiser can save directly into SNDH. This page http://sndh.atari.org/tools.php has tools that can convert many tracker formats into SNDH.
Member of the Atari Legend team

ignus
Atarian
Atarian

Re: xmms68

Postby ignus » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. The two minute break was indeed set in a config file.

.sc68 seems to be a more convenient format for linux, since sc68 knows the songlenghts.

Social Media

Return to “Ym rockin'”