Atari - Unitor SMPTE problem

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

reidpwa
Atarian
Atarian

Atari - Unitor SMPTE problem

Postby reidpwa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:18 am

I have a small studio setup which has run faultlessly for 25+ years.
Recently I had to relocate premises and everything has been re-installed
and the individual units are all working perfectly except the smpte
timecode.

My system is an Atari 1040ST (2Meg Ram) running CLab Notator through
Unitor-N. This links via midi to my modules which are used for composition
etc. I also us an ADAT XT for vocals and acoustic instruments. The ADAT
syncs through a JL Cooper datalink2 unit to the Unitor which feeds the
smpte signal to the ATARI for recording and mixdown. At the moment when I
try to sync the Adat to the Atari nothing is happening at the Atari end.
The ADAT is sending a signal to the datalink2 as the sync light comes on
when play is pressed. The contacts have all been cleaned a number of times
and all leads checked. Individually the ADAT and ATARI & Notator is working
perfectly - just this final smpte is the problem.
Any ideas? Could the Atari be on the way out of the Unitor has a fault?

Miguel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Atari - Unitor SMPTE problem

Postby Miguel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:33 am

I would recommend forgetting about the Datalink2 for the time being and focus on striping a tape from the Unitor and having the Unitor follow the SMPTE from the tape, alternatively you could record the SMPTE to a modern computer and see what's going on. When you disconnect and move gear around it's quite easy to forget some important detail of the prior configuration, for example you might have inadvertently altered the volume of your SMPTE signal or you could be using a broken cable in place of one which was working or you might have forgotten what settings you were using last, stuff like that. BTW I did scan the Notator manual (complete with the latest amendments) in case you need it, you will find it over on the Atari Music Network.

reidpwa
Atarian
Atarian

Postby reidpwa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:11 am

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately it is not quite that straightforward. The tape is timecoded by the ADAT machine when formatting a tape and the smpte signal is sent to the Datalink and in turn on to Unitor and into the Atari. There is no way to send the signal to the Atari except via the Datalink box. It also stores song position and tempo changes etc., - It works beautifully. I have cleaned (I use DeoxIT D5 cleaner - superb!) checked all connections and leads right through the chain and there appears to be connection. I think the fault now lies within the Atari. To check I reloaded up older songs that I had completed and discovered that the Atari was ignoring the saved data in the smpte window and was going back to a default setting. If I tried a couple of times reloading the song or manually inputing the smpte offset data again it would eventually hold the data but would still not respond to the incoming smpte signal.
My Atari has been well used so maybe it's time to seek out another one.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 pm

The idea is to make troubleshooting as straightforward as possible so you can ascertain if the Unitor is working.

reidpwa
Atarian
Atarian

Postby reidpwa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 am

The Unitor is working. It is transmitting and receiving ok via the MIDI busses and the Notator programme is loading completely without any gliches. I was running it last night with my rack of modules and they where working without any problems. The only problem that I am experiencing with the Atari is the cursor is moving all over the place - hard to get it to stay stable. I have a couple of mouses but dosen't make any difference.

Social Media

Return to “Ym rockin'”