crossbow: legend of william tell

Requests for manuals and detailed information on playing games

Moderators: Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

fookenbored
Retro freak
Retro freak

crossbow: legend of william tell

Postby fookenbored » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:07 pm

Hello, i'm a new member so my apologies if i've missed any 'minimum post amount before request' protocol...<p>I have an st game called "crossbow:the legend of william tell" and it's been my favorite game since i was a kid (i currently run it on steem though). I couldn't finish it then and I still cant now!!!<br>It's doing ma head in and i've tried everything!

I've literally killed every enemy on the game (not the friendly characters), been in every house and cave and picked up every item (that i can find) but i still can't find how you get into the castle. I can get up to it but I don't know how to open it (i can't find the appropriate papers that the knight needs!)

i can't find: the first two 'papers' on the papers subscreen (top left and top centre), the third crossbow add (middle right...i've got the one that lets you load three arrows and everything else-sights/bows etc), I don't know what to do with the medium metal key because i've opened every house that needs a key and there are no more to open; i can't find the two large keys (and i wouldn't know what they're for if i did!), i don't know what to do with the jewelery i've collected nor with the papers; more specifically who to give them too. I also don't know where the two mace weapons, the large chainmail or the large shield are neither...i need help or a detailed walkthrough!

Please help because i really need to grow out of this game and it kills me that something so apperently simple is giving me problems!!!
Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.
I'm writing my dissertation at the mo and i've been playing on it since i was a kid to give you an idea of how much i hate/love it!
Last edited by fookenbored on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:13 am

Hey, any chance you could get me a copy of the game?

I own it for the Commodore Amiga, but it's back home (I'm at college) and played it a bunch way back in the day. I absolutely loved it, but it's a real pain to play now with the ultra-slow disk loading times and switching floppies to save/load.

I don't remember a lot of specifics. To get into the castle though, from the front entrance, you've got to find the drawbridge then shoot arrows into the slits or something on the screen (think there are two of them). The drawbridge will lower then.

The papers... can't remember where they are, but you might be able to kill those knights who demand them.

I'm trying to find some way to port it onto my Win XP, but I'm not too good with that sort of thing. If/when I get it working, though, I could work on a walkthrough of some sort.

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:29 am

fookenbored, take a look at Sewer Doc Disk 18. But I'm not sure, if it's a solution.
garonsen, you can download the Atari ST-version at http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?sect ... &id=486555
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:38 am

Awesome, thanks! Is there a good tutorial on how to emulate Atari software/hardware? I'm really clueless :P

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:41 am

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:50 am

Thanks.

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:58 am

fookenbored, I'm mapping out the game now. I'm going to try to see if I can beat this, then write a walkthru off my notes.

fookenbored
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fookenbored » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:52 pm

Crikey, thanks for all your help, can't wait for the walkthrough!
Not to be too cheeky but if any of you have any idea how to use the jewelery and papers, could you include it-that'd class!
I know of the archers in the slits at the castle that you're talking about but i can't aim the crossbow back at the castle...
The game and atari ste.em emulator is available at the following http://steem.atari.st/automation.htm
Scroll down to disk A228. Its the first of three options available on the 228disk image (when you start up Steem, press the 'num1' key and Crossbow should start.)
You can downland the actual emulator on the homepage-follow the instructions they offer...
I honestly didn't think i'd get any responses!!!
well happy!
Cheers

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:04 pm

Yeah, I'm going to try to find everything out. It'll be a work in progress for a while, but I'll focus on the barebones first, then add on to that... that is, if I can actually remember how to beat it! :D

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:06 pm

Oh, and the castle thing... that's a real pain to figure out. I think what I did was went to the far left/right of the screen after killing everyone, then entered combat mode and clicked that switch button to change direction. Then you should be able to shoot the things, I think.

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:40 pm

Weird, maybe I just made that up. I can't even see the castle really when I aim at it because the graphics are all glitchy.

How did you get some of those papers, by giving jewels to monks?

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:04 am

Sorry to post again so soon, but does anyone know how to get into the castle?? I've been in it before (have the save files from my Amiga to prove it) but can't for the life of me figure out how to get in again.

fookenbored
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fookenbored » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:06 pm

Hello again,
Some of the 'monks/druids (both brown)/woodsmen' that approach you have good intentions. If a character approaches you, load arrows but wait until they come close to you before you attack-they normally make there intentions clear a few paces ahead of you. If they are good characters then they give food or items-some of them give papers. The trick is not to kill good people-if they ask for food, give it to them (onion/mushroom). If you have a negative score then other goodies will atack you and not give you stuff.

Off of the top of my head, i know the druid immediately north of the screen when you escape from the castle dungen gives you papers, if you go north (screen with a lone knight next to a signpost) and north again, then west until you come to a screen with 3 woodsmen and a lone knight- the central woodsman gives you papers. A druid in the right screen of the north farmhouse gives you papers. The others are in claremont village (in the houses that need unlocking i think (there are two houses that can be entered). In the north forest (past stefans cottage), there is a screeen with two bad druids (kill them) followed by a screen with two good druids. The good ones give you cake and papers respectively. They're the only people that give you papers without requiring something in return. Like i said, i can't find two papers, and i don't know what to do with any of the items (jewelry/papers) and i don't know which characters need a trade.

Hope this isn't arbitrary/stating the obvious garonsen and that it's of some use...
if you need any more help let me know...it's trickier than one would expect!
cheers

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:29 am

I've found all the papers except the top left one... the special papers are in the uppermost northeast screen - also, all you have to do, I've found out, to get stuff from people is to talk to them to make them friendly. Avoid giving them stuff unless they're beggars.

The jewels... I think they're for bribing guards inside the castle. Have you tried shooting those slits/windows on the drawbridge screen? I'm almost positive that's what you have to do, but I tried it on my Amiga and emulated Atari copy and neither seems to work. I figured giving the special papers ("bearer has urgent message for Gessler" or something) would work, but I'm thinking they don't accept any papers...?

The top left paper, I think, is also inside the castle. The mace and morningstar and better armor are all inside the castle, too, as are some of the keys.

fookenbored
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fookenbored » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:21 pm

The top north eastern screen? Is that the one with a lone druid that tries to attack you although its a good one? I've tried talking/letting it get close but it always tw*ts me with its axe regardless of what score i've got (+ve/-ve)

Thats a start though-more than what i had!
i'm gonna have another go when i get home tonight.
Cheers

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:30 am

Okay, so I do think you shoot those slits with arrows to lower the drawbridge. There's even a screenshot hinting at this on the back of the Amiga game box. But I can't see a thing because of the glitch... you getting the glitch too?

fookenbored
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fookenbored » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:05 pm

well by glitch i'm assuming that you mean you can't aim backwards no matter where you stand... if so then yes i am. I can't see the castle in the crossbow sight for any point on the screen...
Pants
i'll keep on trying though.
cheers

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:15 am

Yeah, that's the one. From my experience, it's always worked without fail to just keep talking to hostile people (druids and woodsmen, anyway) and eventually they'll turn friendly.

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:19 am

Oops, didn't see the second page.

No, by glitch I mean the graphics are all goosed up. Go to the castle moat/drawbridge screen, clear out the baddies, then go to the far right (or left) of the screen so that you cannot go any further. You'll be facing away from the drawbridge, towards the edge of the screen. Then enter combat mode and click the double arrow icon that makes you reverse directions. This allows you to see the castle in your sights when you enter crossbow mode.

Haha, this is driving me insane. Next time I visit home (this weekend, maybe) I'll put together my Amiga and see if I can figure things out on that.

fookenbored
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fookenbored » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:03 pm

Two things.
Where is the double arrow icon? When i go into combat mode there is no mouse cursor to to select a double arrow....

I went to the far north eastern screen to the friendly druid and talked but she kept on closing in and belted me with the axe. I can't get that special message paper-could you write exactly how you enter combat mode and exactly what you do with that druid to get the paper-does she try and attack you before she gives the paper?

Feel like a bit of a dullard!!
Cheers

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:28 pm

On the right-hand menu, the middle icon. It's the two arrows that sort of form a circle.

The druid, I talked to him, turned around, talked, turned around, talked (since you can't talk twice in a row - the talk icon fades out). If you have to, leave the screen, come back and talk. Eventually, after talking maybe 5 times (with a decent score) he stopped with the axe and when I approached dropped the papers.

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:32 am

Hey, got into the castle thru shooting the towers. Where did you get the medium metal key at? I'll need it to finish the game, then I can start on a walkthru.

fookenbored
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fookenbored » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:06 pm

Hello again
I think the medium key is in the secret cave.
Its the one in between the hermits cave by the riverside and the warthogs cave on the map screen on the far left center. Its protected by a screen with three wolves before it. If its not in there then its in the other hermits cave at the bottom center of the map screen. Its definately in one of those two caves.

I know what you mean now by the double arrows-i thought you meant there were double arrows on the crossbow aim screen...fool am i!

Also, have you tried 'converting' the hostile but friendly druids in other parts of the game (like the ones directly outside each of the two druid caves)?

Thanks very much
Looking forward to your notes-you will be credited as being the first person on the web to write a walkthrough for this game!
Last edited by fookenbored on Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:26 pm

If you need a home for that impending walkthrough - then please feel free to use the Wiki for it. Especially one laden with screenshots :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

garonsen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby garonsen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:53 am

The small metal key is in the secret cave, the large metal key in the hermit's cave... you sure you found the medium one in the forest? I think it's all I need to beat the game now.

Social Media

Return to “Doc Disks, Manuals & Instructions”