Frontier Elite 2 Galaxy Map

Requests for manuals and detailed information on playing games

Moderators: Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:29 pm

The galaxy map is part of the v3.1 extras in GamebaseST. Will upload it here tonight when I get home.

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:23 pm

What i could have done long before :oops: . Been too busy with other things :?
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:12 pm

As promised here is the Frontier map. It is highly detailed and shows a lot of the systems, in fact I had to zip it up because its so big.

Hope you find it useful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:59 pm

Ahh so its a map of the known systems in Elite 2 :wink:
I thought we were talking about a map of all the systems 8O not that it would be any use as the rest of the galaxy is uninhabited :|

Lt Com Rory
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Frontier Elite 2 Galaxy Map

Postby Lt Com Rory » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi all,

I played FE2 on my PC from the get-go, so might be able to answer a couple of questions. Would have loved to play this on ST. Would be interesting to see how the programming was brought across from Atari to PC. However, from what I understand the bugs are consistent over the two formats.

First up, there are wormholes in the game and you will occasionally find little out-there colonies. The vast majority of systems fall within the (-10,-10) to (10,10) coords, but sometimes there are mad outliers. They aren't huge systems, but they do have starports. Just be careful if visiting with a military drive. Sometimes this type of system just won't have military fuel on the market.

Because of a bug (some have argued that it's a deliberate bug - "citation needed" I think) you can triangulate routes to most systems in the galaxy using wormholes. Note that this is not a feature of FFE. I haven't been able to find a decent wormhole calculator so far, but here's a couple of navigation cheat sheets to get you started.

http://www.sharoma.com/frontierverse/wo ... routes.htm
http://www.ironfrost.co.uk/elite/wormroute.html

While on subject of jumps, the biggest drive in the game is the class 8 hydrogen drive in the Panther Clipper. Retrogader is totally correct about fastest drive / ship combo. I think if it's speed you're going for, you can shoehorn a 24 tonne class 3 military drive into a 32 tonne Asp, with a range of 40 lightyears in a week. But you won't even have enough room for all the fuel it would need, let alone autopilot and atmospheric shielding. My courier ship was a VDC (viper defence craft) with a class 3 mil, 1M beam lazer, autopilot, atmospheric shielding, naval ECM and full hold of military fuel (then radioactives!). She'd do 27 LYs in a week.

Couple of other interesting things. While the Thargoids feature heavily in the FFE storyline, they probably don't exist in FE2. A big rumour is that there's a thargoid ship hidden in the game somewhere. Personally, I think it's the lock ness monster of the frontier world. Surely someone would have found it by now? :)

When it comes to rank, you can either do it the hard way or the cheaty way. Here's a chart of how many "mission points" you need to go through the ranks.

Military Ranks

Federation Empire Points
None Outsider 0
Private Serf 1
Corporal Master 16
Sergeant Sir 81
Sgt-Major Squire 256
Major Lord 625
Colonel Baron 1,296
Lieutenant Viscount 2,401
Lt. Com Count 4,096
Captain Earl 6,561
Commodore Marquis 10,000
Rear Ad Duke 14,641
Admiral Prince 20,736

Points scale
delivery=2
assassination = 14
photo = 16
bombing = 18
excellent photo = 20

Do not however try to do gain ranks with BOTH the Federation and the Empire. It is theoretically possible to switch allegiances with each incremental rank, but punishment for failing at a mission can be a serious demotion (this is another possible bug in the game).

Otherwise, try the following cheat to fire through the ranks!
http://www.ironfrost.co.uk/elite/cheats.html#rank

Lastly, don't worry about criminal records. Pay the fine and it just won't matter. It's true that records never goes a way, but while some people like keeping a clean
record for some strange reason, I like collecting the full list of offences!

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Lt Com Rory wrote:Retrogader is totally correct about fastest drive / ship combo.

Hahaha!

I've looked at those links and I'm stumped, how do you actually do this wormhole thing?

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Great post, Commander! This makes me want to dig out my Panther from the garage and take her for a spin. I never did grasp the 'wormhole' thing either, but rumours like those really did help to flesh out the universe.

The military was one vocation I never really had any success with. I was quite adept at courier, pirate, trader, assassin - I even tried mining for a while, but the strict deadlines on those military missions would always sting me.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Social Media

Return to “Doc Disks, Manuals & Instructions”