TrSD01 - Sundog Trainer

Requests for manuals and detailed information on playing games

Moderators: Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:37 am

Doctor Bob Gordon,
I loaded the image and memory snapshot you sent me. The first trainer v1.0 (made for the .st image you emailed me) worked just fine for me. I did notice that the shield and scattergun in your hands had strange numbers, but I think that may be because they were used. The vigor, rest, and nourish worked just fine as did all the abilities buttons. And when I entered a number from the list, the correct item appeared in the character inventory.

The new trainer (v1.2) does not work on this version of the sundog.st image. Which makes sense because it was made for a different game image file. But the first trainer (v1.0) did work fine.

It works fine for me! I don't know why it would not work for you? :?

Doctor Bob Gordon

Postby Doctor Bob Gordon » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:32 pm

Thank you for checking the image I sent you.

I will try on a different computer. Do you still have the v1 trainer? Could you please upload it again?

dBG
dBG

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:36 pm

Here is the v1.0 trainer that goes with the sundog.st image I have posted in this thread. (automation disc?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:41 pm

Probably a shoot in the dark. But just in case make sure Hard Disks are all disabled. Hard Disks enabled might alter the loading address of some games.

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:17 pm

I disabled all drives except A and B. Using Doctor Bob Gordon's memory snapshot and the automation sundog, the v1.0 trainer still worked just fine.
Could there be a difference in the TOS image? I notice there are .ROM and .IMG files for each TOS.

I am using the:
TOS162US.ROM 867 bytes (original date March 03, 1997)

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:48 pm

Could having PASTI installed (or not) make any difference?
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:45 pm

unseenmenace wrote:Could having PASTI installed (or not) make any difference?

It shouldn't change at all the program loading addres (unless you enabled Pasti hard disks).

But how the trainer works? How the trainer modifies the ST memory?

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:33 pm

All I know is that the Trainer Maker Kit is supposed to look from the start of the 'steem.exe' process and count downward from there to the memory address I specify. This is down to the byte. So, I would guess if you have a different steem.exe version, (french vs english) or something loading moves the program code further down from the start of steem.exe memory, then it should work for everybody. But I only have one verified person who has tried it, so I have no clue as to the success rate of the trainers.

And I am not going to post anymore trainers until I find out if they work for anybody but myself. The poll I posted seems a bust so far with only 1 response besides mine.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:06 am

WillieSea wrote:All I know is that the Trainer Maker Kit is supposed to look from the start of the 'steem.exe' process and count downward from there to the memory address I specify.

Oh, I see.

As I said, Pasti enabled or not should not change the loading address in the ST space. But lot of things, including Pasti, could alter the location in the PC address space. Even different OS versions might produce a slight different memory allocations.

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:26 am

Well, I just found something out. I deleted the pasti files from my Steem folder, to see what would happen if they did not load. My memory locations are now different. 8O

Well, that answers that! I am going to install a fresh version of Steem v3.2 and remake the sundog trainer with those memory locations. I will post it here when done if somebody would like to try it.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:44 am

The trouble with Trainer Maker Kit is that you can't test a byte for a known value before applying it - ie. you know that a piece of text lives at a certain address. If that value equals something known e.g. "S" then you could ascertain that the game data you're changing lives at a particular address.

There are Trainer Maker Kits out there that will compile to pure assembly code and maybe you could add some checking code at the front of the trainer?

http://www.gamehacking.com will have links to these other trainer tools.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:17 am

Okay, here is v1.3 of the trainer. It is with a fresh install of the last english Steem v3.2 from the steem website. There are no addons, I changed no keyboard keys, and I did not make any hard drive locations. There are only floppy drives A and B.
It uses the TOS image off the Planet Emulation website: TOS v1.02 (1987)(Atari Corp)(Mega ST)(UK).img
It uses the game image off the Planet Emulation website: Sundog - Frozen Legacy v3.0 (1985)(FTL).st
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:21 am

muguk wrote:http://www.gamehacking.com will have links to these other trainer tools.

Thanks for the tip. I found an example of making a trainer using C#.NET and if I get it working, that will solve all the problems as I can search for the right location.

Steem sure bumps the game memory location around... :o

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:31 am

Hence why I gave up writing trainers. I was never fast enough for "the scene" with all it's 0-day releases of PD games and ended up just training retro remakes which no-one else did. But then the retro remakes started having on-line scoring options which goes against my ethos for trainers :)

The best way (still) is to hack into the program using TS and then stop the NOP codes in the game's EXE file as that's easier than trying to rely on a particular amount being present at a particular address.

But that's something you can't do inside STEEM as if you insert a NOP code you're gonna disable STEEM's own subtract routine which might have more than a few bad results in any game :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:57 pm

I think it may be better to just edit 'memory snapshots' from steem. I know how to do that, its pretty simple. (realitively speaking)

But since so very few people even use them, I may not even do that. Its a lot of work. Its easier to use TSearch to find the location and edit it right then and there. Then just play the game.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:12 pm

OK, how's about knocking up a simple tutorial on how to do this for the Wiki?

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:14 am

I have tried to use the wiki and it is beyond me. It would take more to try and figure out how to add anything to it than it would to write a C# program to edit the memory snapshots of games. :?

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:56 am

Maybe write the doc, attach here and Mug can stick it on?

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:44 pm

I could do that.

I thought about that option but did not want to push it.

If anyone wants to add it to the WIKI, what format would work best. Would you like an .htm or a .doc?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:30 pm

I'd prefer it in a .DOC format so that I can put it through Word first if that's OK with you.

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:55 pm

WillieSea wrote:I think it may be better to just edit 'memory snapshots' from steem. I know how to do that, its pretty simple. (realitively speaking)

But since so very few people even use them, I may not even do that. Its a lot of work. Its easier to use TSearch to find the location and edit it right then and there. Then just play the game.

Personally, I use Tsearch to find the address(es) to edit then store them in plain text file for use in a little proggy I cooked up (see attached pic). I just start this proggy when STeem in running and select the cheat(s) I want and voila.

Of course you are dealing with adventure games where you are changing many many options, so a multi-game layout like this is probably far too simplistic for your needs.

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:58 pm

Actually, I have been creating some of those also.
I just finished Karateka and was amazed at how short the game was once you didn't get killed every 7 feet/meters.

Is your program downloadable and usable to others?
I would assume you would have to create your own text file with the cheats since the memory location is different on every computer.

Perhaps, you could add an 'offset' value entry, and use one game to calibrate the rest of the cheats. (such as, using TSearch, enter the memory location of the first character of your name when playing Alternate reality the city.)
Even with adventure games, your program would work. Just have a button to set all stats to a certain value, and lock health and magic.

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:44 am

WillieSea wrote:Is your program downloadable and usable to others?

Not yet, as I had just planned to make it for personal use really. However, if others are interested I have no problem with u/l it to the forums (after Christmas though).

WillieSea wrote:I would assume you would have to create your own text file with the cheats since the memory location is different on every computer.

I have no idea, if the addresses I identified will work (or not) on other computers, as I have only ever used the proggy on my computer. You are right though, the program simply reads in a text file so anyone could create their own cheats if they wanted.

The text file is in 'ini' format with games as sections and cheats as keys.
The program then simply parses the key to get all relevent info on the cheat and the correct addresses to change. Currently you can either freeze a value, do a simple poke, or attach a cheat to a hotkey - e.g. in Pacmania there is a cheat called 'power pills on demand', where pressing 'Enter' gives Pacman a powerpill. I'd also like to add a 4th option allowing the user to specify a value rather than always using predefined values.

Code: Select all

ini example (note multiple addresses may be changed for each cheat if required - see 'Pacmania')

[Rick Dangerous II]
Infinite Lives=15370802:6
Infinite Bombs=15370816:6
Infinite Laser=15370830:6
I wanna goto The Fatman's HQ=05270648:05;Apply on level select screen then press 'Fire' WITHOUT moving the joystick up or down.

[Pacmania]
infinite lives=15269465:6;infinite lives--self explanatory really
power pills on demand=15251907:253|15251921:253|15251935:253|15251949:253|15251963:253|15251977:253|15251915:3|15251929:3|15251943:3|15251957:3|15251971:3|15251985:3;This gives Pac a yellow power pill which causes all the ghosts to run.  Note: Do not use the powerpill hotkey if you have already taken one and are in the process of eating a 'blue' ghost - it locks the game!!!  Why anyone would take another powerpill when one is already in use is beyond me, but I thought I'd best mention it anyway.;13
speed boost=34234:3;32
nuke all ghosts hack=15251915:2|15251929:2|15251943:2|15251957:2|15251971:2|15251985:2;use hotkey ingame;32
anti-gravity=23234:1

You are right though Williesea, it would be nice if it could be used on other systems unchanged - not least because my PC is sure is die one day ;).

WillieSea wrote:Actually, I have been creating some of those also.
I just finished Karateka and was amazed at how short the game was once you didn't get killed every 7 feet/meters.

I'd be interested in seeing (screenshots) or trying out anything you build, as such utilities are great if you can't find a trained version of a game.

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:10 am

Regretfully, I have been using the Trainer Maker Kit which
apparently would not work for anyone else, as the memory locations
move around in Steem, depending on your setup and install.

Karateka was easy though. Using TSearch, I counted the health Triangles
at the bottom of the screen, Pause the game, search for it in TSearch
(eg. 14), get hurt and search for the new number in the previous
searches results, and eventually found two locations for my health.
(I created a button to make these two places equal 14 on a click) I then
did the same for the enemy health, making a button to change it to 1.
Made it though the game in less than 10 minutes.

I like your memory editor better though. I could edit all my games from
one EXE instead of having a different one for each game.

Good work there X3peri_MENTaL!

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:15 pm

X3peri_MENTaL wrote:I'd be interested in seeing (screenshots) or trying out anything you build, as such utilities are great if you can't find a trained version of a game.

I re-released the fixed version of my Alternate Reality - The City memory snapshot editor.
But there has been no interest as nobody has downloaded it.
But then, it is not a trainer, only a save editor. There is not as much interest in those as in trainers.

Social Media

Return to “Doc Disks, Manuals & Instructions”