TrSD01 - Sundog Trainer

Requests for manuals and detailed information on playing games

Moderators: Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

TrSD01 - Sundog Trainer

Postby WillieSea » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:48 pm

I have finished up a +14 Sundog trainer.

The credits are strange. You have to enter 33million in order to get 500K in the game. There are tool tips for each button to let you know what they do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by WillieSea on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:50 pm

And here is the trainer file. They work on STEem running in memory.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Edit Deleted this trainer version. See below for newest version 1.2.
Last edited by WillieSea on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor Bob Gordon

Postby Doctor Bob Gordon » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:55 pm

Hi WilliSea

I've tried this trainer with three different versions of sundog and it doesn't work... :?

dBG
dBG

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:22 pm

we know from previous posts (see DM thread) that these are version dependant.... so would it be worth posting the images used with the trainer as well?
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:07 am

I have absoultly no idea which version of Sundog this is. It came from when I renamed the files (which I now know mean something.)

TOS162US
4MB RAM

Here is the one I used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:10 am

Heathens! 8O
How could you cheat at such a game as Sundog (TM).
The very essence of the game is to make money trading and thus be able to afford to keep some people you never met in clothing, food and housing :x
Pretty much like living in the U.K. I guess :roll:

Seriously though, I can't see what fun could be had playing this game with unlimited money..... but that's me. :)

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:22 am

True. But I hated the random robbers, theives and cutthroats. So I use the vigor and health buttons. And also the parts entry. Why fly all over the galaxy just to find a part? And traversing the entire planet in your rover... Rest and Nourshment come in handy. Or at least give yourself a nutrapack to eat.
I would have left the credit cheat off, but it would not have been a proper trainer without it. :D
Besides, thats the point of a trainer, to cheat like the dogs that we are! You only have to cheat as much as you want to make the game fun if you never were able to finish it.
Ok, rambling done, I sign off...

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:57 am

Doctor Bob Gordon wrote:Hi WilliSea

I've tried this trainer with three different versions of sundog and it doesn't work... :?

dBG

If it would be easier, I could adjust the trainer to a specific version of sundog. Any choice as to which one?

I have this one:
Sundog - Frozen Legacy v3.0 (1985)(FTL).st

Doctor Bob Gordon

Postby Doctor Bob Gordon » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:35 am

WillieSea wrote:I have absoultly no idea which version of Sundog this is. It came from when I renamed the files (which I now know mean something.)

TOS162US
4MB RAM

Here is the one I used.

Strange... I have tried with your file (a copy of Automation #116 with modified bootsector) using the same tos / machine configuration and it still doesn't work...
dBG

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:24 am

Really? 8O

I am using Steem Engine v3.4 (built Oct 22 2004) with Pasti DLL 0.2h. (Not that it should make any difference.)

I load up the game, start the game, and while in the ship, I run the trainer. Still works fine for me...

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:23 am

Here is one I made for the version:
Sundog - Frozen Legacy v3.0 (1985)(FTL).st
(Found on planet emulation, this is not a compilation.)

I adjusted the memory locations to fit this version.

Question: Is your Steem process called 'steem.exe'? That is what the trainer is looking for.

Edit Deleted download here. Look below for new download.
Last edited by WillieSea on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doctor Bob Gordon

Postby Doctor Bob Gordon » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:29 am

Yes, I'm using exactly the same Steem version and configuration...
dBG

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:11 am

If you use 'Tsearch.exe' to look for your characters name (backwards) you will find the location of each stat.

Name: WillieSea
Look for: aeSeilliW

Just before the name you will find the data.

So, in my trainer version 1.1

(Name is several bytes after the following)
STR - 13A01DB & 13A01D6
IQ - 13A01DA & 13A01D5
DEX - 13A01D9 & 13A01D4
CHR - 13A01D8 & 13A01D3
LUCK - 13A01D7 & 13A01D2
VIGOR - 13A01CB
REST - 13A01CA
HEALTH - 13A01C9
NOURISH - 13A01CB
CREDITS - 13A01DC (U-LONG)
ITEM 1 - 13A01C5
ITEM 2 - 13A01C4
ITEM 3 - 13A01C6
ITEM 4 - 13A01C7

Note
I have not tested this, but sometimes the game data gets moved around in memory, so they are not in the same location for each game. Perhaps Your character name size or some other thing slightly offsets it. My name in v1.1 was WillieSea. This is one reason I wish I knew how to use C#.NET better. I can edit Saved memory snapshots, but have not figured out how to edit memory straight. Then, I would just search for the correct memory location.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:21 am

I determined, through many years of play that the game is not randomly generated every start, but in fact there are a small number (possibly 6???) of different fixed, pre-defined game starting configurations (i.e. positions of planets / cryogens, and locations of trade commodities etc)
Yet the availability of "Items" is fixed for all games, you can always get all the Starship parts from Jondd for example, all the "non-exotic" starships parts that is.
Exotic starship components such as the cloaker, concentrator, de-cloaker and ground scanner are only available on Jonnd at Banville after you have built it up to the level where it has a Bar. (just clearing that little point up ;) )

So perhaps each different "game" has different memory locations.
(I hope so tee hee :twisted: ).

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:59 pm

I have updated the trainer to v1.2.

I have loaded the game several times, using different names, everything. The memory positions are the same.
In this version, I am updating the static area and the game area for the character statistics.
I also added a fuel button to fill up your ship.

Has anyone else tried this trainer? It seems to work fine on my computer.

Could having 'Shortcuts' or 'Patches' set in Steem.exe shift memory a few bytes?

Doctor Bob Gordon

Postby Doctor Bob Gordon » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:01 pm

The new trainer doesn't work either. The same for Time Bandit Trainer...

The process is steem.exe
dBG

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:42 pm

There must be something different between my steem.exe on my PC and yours. :?
It could cause the memory locations to be different. I wonder if you giving me a memory snapshot would help?

I wonder if anybody else has this issue?
Or do the trainers work okay?
Nobody else has said anything. 8O

Doctor Bob Gordon

Postby Doctor Bob Gordon » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:52 am

WillieSea

If I understand correctly, these trainers change registers on the PC memory. Do you think it could be affected in some way by the anti-virus or another process running at the same time?

I just was curious about your trainers. I have finished Roadwar2000, Time Bandit, Dungeon Master and Sundog without trainers. :wink:

I could send you a Steem memory snapshot, send me a pm with your email (I can't upload the attachment here).

Cheers,

dBG
dBG

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:07 am

The actual memory is changed. (not registers as in assembler)

The memory locations are specific to steem. And I would assume they count upward from the beginning of the steem process. So, unless something is hooking into your steem, or you have a different TOS162US than I do.

I am leaving on a business trip to Atlanta for a week, so I will not be available for a while.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Doctor Bob Gordon wrote:I just was curious about your trainers. I have finished Roadwar2000, Time Bandit, Dungeon Master and Sundog without trainers. :wink:

Well let's face it DBG, there are those who can finish games fair and square, and there are those that cheat. :wink:

Having said that, the trainer would be handy if you just wanted to make maps of the surfaces of the planets and the cities, or lists of commodity prices.

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:42 am

If you are looking form maps or market prices, I found a website that had it all. When I get home from Atlanta, I can post it if you are interested.

Trainers are for cheaters. Since this is the cheaters forum, I would hope that there would be no soap box preachers telling the evils of cheating. Yes, I have finished the game without cheating. Now I get enjoyment by making a trainer for cheating. Lots of fun! :roll:

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:52 am

I would assume at a first guess (without to much detailed thought) that if your probing the PC's memory there iwll be a host of problems (where things are loaded etc). You would (and I assume you do) probe for the Steem Process tree and try and work with that?

If that is the case, then I would assume that within the steem process that there are a number of variables which could affect the correct patching. These at a first guess could possibly be:
- Atari Memory config in Steem
- Version of TOS used
- Actual TOS file, not just version as above
- Version of the crack/original

If this is the case, then it may be prevalent to include within the archive the TOS roms, the snapshot used and always assume the latest version of Steem. This could perhaps be achieved by swapping the Steem.ini file or similar so that the memory configs are set also???

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:32 pm

If it's any help, I recently messed about with training a few games in STeem from the PC side (Tsearch with a Visual Basic GUI).

Anyway, I noticed the following.
  • The trainers only ever worked in the version of STeem I was using when finding the memory addresses to alter (v3.2 in my case).
  • The same Tos version was required (although it didn't need to be the exact same dump).
  • The same amount of Ram was required (in my case 1 Meg).

Surprisingly, the actual disk image used didn't have to be the same dump or indeed the same game version!! e.g. I trained the stand-alone 'verified' version of Pacmania, but my trainer also worked on all other versions of Pacmania I threw at it including the Power-pack version which has Eliminator and Nebulus on the same disk.

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:53 pm

Very helpful input X3 for the trainer team Im sure :)

X3peri_MENTaL wrote:
  • The trainers only ever worked in the version of STeem I was using when finding the memory addresses to alter (v3.2 in my case).
  • The same Tos version was required (although it didn't need to be the exact same dump).
  • The same amount of Ram was required (in my case 1 Meg).

With a little more thought I can see why there would be no issue with TOS dump, but version specific yes (as said in my post above), similarly the memory size is critical as the trainer would be trying to page something else instead of program code etc

Surprisingly, the actual disk image used didn't have to be the same dump or indeed the same game version!! e.g. I trained the stand-alone 'verified' version of Pacmania, but my trainer also worked on all other versions of Pacmania I threw at it including the Power-pack version which has Eliminator and Nebulus on the same disk.

At first I was surprised at this, but then thinking about it cracked version really removes the protection with little effect on the game code (unless some fancy relocation I suppose).

Packed versions may eb a bit different ifthe depack code causes some change, but again there should in theory be little or no change

So looks like were back to perhaps pointing out TOS specifications and Steem/Memory configurations?

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:52 am

I am using 'TSearch' to find the memory locations, and then I use 'Trainer Maker Kit v1.5' to make the trainer. It does not allow much in the way of 'options' or 'if' logic. You point the buttons or input boxes to 'poke' memory locations. You cannot change these depending on something else.
I have noticed that sometimes, you can change the memory to 4MB, but if you load a memory snapshot that was saved with 1MB of memory, that your emulator is now set at 1MB instead of the 4MB needed.

I agree that some 'arcade' games would have the same memory locations for a certain value, like lives. But an adventure game could possibly shift around, especially with different versions. In fact, I have seen an adventure game where, everything being the same, a 'new game' will have different memory locations for items. If I could get my C# skills up to par, I could use it to search for the correct location, no matter what version you ran with. If somebody had a project that I could copy, that would help. I made one in C# that read in the 'memory snapshot', but it does not work with direct memory. (Its a little bit clunky)

Social Media

Return to “Doc Disks, Manuals & Instructions”