GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

YQN
Atari freak
Atari freak

Difference between .TOS and .PRG?

Postby YQN » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi,

I guess it's kind of a stupid question but my searches didn't yield any useful result. I'm actually trying to understand why some code will compile successfully with Devpac and not with vasm :scratches head: and I was wondering if the executable type could have something to do with it...

OL
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Difference between .TOS and .PRG?

Postby OL » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:05 pm

YQN wrote:Hi,

I guess it's kind of a stupid question but my searches didn't yield any useful result. I'm actually trying to understand why some code will compile successfully with Devpac and not with vasm :scratches head: and I was wondering if the executable type could have something to do with it...

There is no real difference, TOS program need VT52 emulation, in theorie not a gem program while prg are supposed to be gem program.
OL

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:18 pm

YQN wrote:I'm actually trying to understand why some code will compile successfully with Devpac and not with vasm :scratches head: and I was wondering if the executable type could have something to do with it...

Make sure you run vasm in Devpac mode. There's a switch for that.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Actually there is a small difference between .TOS and .PRG - when binaries with .TOS extension are run from the desktop, GEM shuts itself off for the most part. If memory serves correct (from the time I was getting TOS built using modern toolchains) running a .TOS file from desktop is very close to running a .PRG file from auto folder.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Social Media

Return to “Coding”