GFA Basic, STOS or Asm?

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: GFA Basic, STOS or Asm?

Postby mrbombermillzy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:32 pm

Glad I could help. I look forwards to seeing your new Atari creations!

Encolpius
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Encolpius » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:31 pm

madaxe wrote:
simonsunnyboy wrote:The OP indicated existing knowledge in BASIC dialects so larning a new dialect shouldn't b out of th question.
Pure m68k would give best results but is also has a hardcore learning curve.

Regardless of the language used, I'm curious for any new release on the ST so good luck :)

Thank you, I'll need it :)

Please, check if these last versions are correct:
GFA Basic - v 3.6
STOS - v 2.3
DevPac - v 3.1

STOS 2.3 was the original English release. There was a 2.7 which was the last "official" version, and in 2014 Exxos and PPera reworked it to V300 which is completely TOS agnostic incl. Mega STE, Falcon, TT, etc. It's on Exxos's website and I recommend you get it.

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:00 pm

godlib and c seems like a good start; for most heavy duty graphics stuff, I'd still recommend asm

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:54 am

Rajah Lone wrote:
joska wrote:However, the VDI simply does not offer the necessary functionality.

I thought it did. I have managed to do what I wanted with pure VDI. My game productions are here to testify.

And these games are running at full speed on a 1Mb ST, right? ;) Yes, of course it's *possible* to use the VDI. You can compose the entire frame offscreen, and blit it to the screen. But this would be so slow that it will make any sort of action game unusable on an ST. And if your game relies on precise timing you're in trouble, as the VDI really doesn't have any notion of time. It's finished when it's finished, and as a programmer you just have to accept that.

Rajah Lone wrote:But this not the subject here. It's easier and quicker with low level coding. On standard Atari ST and for an arcade game, it's better when you phuck the rules, good and hard.

Exactly :)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:59 am

wietze wrote:godlib and c seems like a good start; for most heavy duty graphics stuff, I'd still recommend asm

Pure C has a good assembler, mixing C and assembler is almost ideal for such things.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Wed May 01, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi guys;

Thanks again for your great informations and nice tips.
It'll take some time but I'll do my best to make a simple but enjoyable game... I hope ;)

I have a kind of a doubt or maybe just a curiousity. I have downloaded the examples from Reservoir Gods and a strange (or funny) thing is happening. Take the BOX.ZIP for instance. I can run perfectly the BOX.TOS included in the .ZIP on TOS 1.02. But after I recomplided it, it no longer runs on TOS 1.02 but only on TOS 2.06. Why this it happens?

Social Media

Return to “Coding”