PLATOTerm rewrite using GODLIB

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

tschak909
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

PLATOTerm rewrite using GODLIB

Postby tschak909 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:45 am

In light of the poor performance of trying to do everything with VDI and GEM in as abstracted a manner as possible, I have decided to go in the opposite direction, rip out all of the GEM code, and start over building this on top of GODLIB. The first step, getting everything to compile properly under Pure C, took about three hours of careful massaging, but it's...compiled... and a binary spits out... and along with the ability to compile the godlib test harnesses, lets me know my build environment is sane.

Yay.

Code is sitting here:
https://github.com/tschak909/platoterms ... b_refactor

and I will be working in this branch for some time. WARNING: major surgery happening in here, with a chainsaw. :)

Okay, so now, it's off to implement the specific functions I need calling godlib for screen output etc... The one positive here, is that with this, it will be more in line with my other ports, in terms of code consistency and design. Yay.

More to come, very shortly.

p.s. will probably move to building with purebot, once I know this approach will prove sane.

-Thom

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: PLATOTerm rewrite using GODLIB

Postby wongck » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:59 am

Glad you found a way to do this. :thumbs:
As mentioned in the other thread - just do a TOS/games-like-method for your program screen display.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

tschak909
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tschak909 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:06 pm

The problem I'm having, is that GODLIB is almost completely undocumented, so am flailing around digging through the code, figuring out how the different function calls work. The examples provided are ridiculously minimal.

But my plan is to figure out precisely what I need for:

* dot
* line
* bitmap blit (for characters)
* palette management

-Thom

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Are you keeping it compiling also with GCC? That has much better error checking than Pure-C which is sometimes very useful.

tschak909
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tschak909 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:27 pm

I haven't been able to get godlib to behave with gcc, so not sure what I will do here...

Honestly, I'm banging my head against the wall just figuring out godlib's internals, because there is no documentation...
-Thom

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:32 am

Let me repeat my question that I posted some time ago as reply to your Facebook comment and that remained unanswered.

I understand that you have problems getting your terminal program running at more than 2400 bit/s. I assume this means that you see data bytes being lost. I further assume this is because you simply don't use hardware flow control and the Rx buffer overflows during some operations (VDI or otherwise) that take too long.

Now to my question again: Did you increase the size of the Rx buffers (in TOS or HSMODEM, depending on what you're using)? This usually avoids overruns. BTDT.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:11 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:Are you keeping it compiling also with GCC? That has much better error checking than Pure-C which is sometimes very useful.

But Pure C is the only C-compiler with a decent debugger. Being able to step through source-code with the generated assembler showing at the same time beats every other debugger on this platform.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:42 pm

joska wrote:But Pure C is the only C-compiler with a decent debugger. Being able to step through source-code with the generated assembler showing at the same time beats every other debugger on this platform.

+1 :thumbs:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:45 pm

IMHO GCC telling e.g. about potential array overwrites (on highest optimization levels) and where they happen, beats searching for those problems at run-time, regardless of how good the debugger is. :-)

Note: I'm not saying it's better, just that (especially newer) GCC versions can do some useful analysis of the source code.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:54 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:IMHO GCC telling e.g. about potential array overwrites (on highest optimization levels) and where they happen, beats searching for those problems at run-time, regardless of how good the debugger is. :-)

Not slapping it but it's nothing new.... Pascal had it the first time I was taught about structured programming in school... but hey that is a very good feature. :thumbs:

Social Media

Return to “Coding”