GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Fast Devpac Question...

Postby FedePede04 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:23 pm

hi
my game is coming along nice and slowly, maybe its because that i am turning 50 in 2 hours :( 8-O
so for the first time in my life i am trying really to structure my code, in case if other have to take over :lol:
if i go cold or something else should happen.(i have even share them with Steve Atari-Crypt on dropbox :lol: )
i have been using a lot of Include and Incbin to make the source easier to read for others.

so my question is, do anybody know how many Include and Incbin you can have in Devpac 3.1?
it would be nice to know in advanced, so it wont come as a chock if i rand out of them.

Best Regards
Peter
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Fast Devpac Question...

Postby mrbombermillzy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 pm

I dont know the answer, but happy birthday for tomorrow!! :cheers:

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Many thx :cheers: , one of the days that I don't speak so much of anymore :D

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mrbombermillzy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Actually, the limit for the number of INCBIN includes I expect would be more limited by your machine running out of memory than by any hardcoded number limit in devpac.

How many are you actually putting in then?

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:06 pm

actual not so many around 73 for the source code that i had a fast look thought (there are probably some more) :D
but i have a long way to go before that i am finish with the game....

i am working in STeem and i have set to use 14mb so i hope that I don't run out of memory...

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mrbombermillzy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Well, you will have to calculate the bytes of data that you 'include' and compare with the amount of RAM that you have (including the size of the code too).

This is easier if all the includes are the same size!

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:30 pm

thanks for all your input :cheers:

it not so much the size of the code that worry me, its more the number of files.
right now all the sources code and graphic / music files is 478 kb

the exec file (right now) is around 332 kb in size. but some of the graphic is store as full pictures, but they can be save as resource files to save memory. and i can also optimize the music size, so in the end i hope that it will run on a 520 ST.

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mrbombermillzy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Can you not perhaps 'unify' all the graphics into one file and index the necessary part?

That would at least stop the number of includes getting too out of hand.

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:53 pm

yes i have think about that, (but it will be the last thing that ill do), it was also one of the reason why i asked.
example if you can have 65535 incbin files, then i will never run into problems, and i don't have to start thinking about alternative ways.

and also one of the reason why i am not so happy, with having all the graphic in one big file is.
I will like to try to keep it easy for other to change, i am also using the original spectrum graphic, just adding more colors, changing small parts of the graphic, but i am not the greatest artist out there, so it have to be easy to change. at some point.

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mlynn1974 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:11 am

Happy birthday Peter! I remember the Bullfrog Tutorial that came with Devpac 2 on ST Format. It had at least 20 includes, incbins etc. As others have mentioned I think this is limited by available memory and not a hardcoded limit. I remember thinking if that was commercial quality code then it was very structured but didn't actually do very much whereas The Lost Boys source code released by Budgie was intense.

When I learnt the C Programming Language I realised that the Bullfrog tutorial showed that I think they wanted to use C for development as every single stdio.h GEMDOS mapped function was enumerated whether they needed them or not.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:17 am

If you're using Steem (i.e. PC), maybe you shoud consider working in vasm - in that case only the sky's the limit. :)

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:27 am

mlynn1974 wrote:Happy birthday Peter! I remember the Bullfrog Tutorial that came with Devpac 2 on ST Format. It had at least 20 includes, incbins etc. As others have mentioned I think this is limited by available memory and not a hardcoded limit. I remember thinking if that was commercial quality code then it was very structured but didn't actually do very much whereas The Lost Boys source code released by Budgie was intense.

When I learnt the C Programming Language I realised that the Bullfrog tutorial showed that I think they wanted to use C for development as every single stdio.h GEMDOS mapped function was enumerated whether they needed them or not.

Many many thx, then it does not sound like that i have any thing to worry about :cheers:

In the old days, i just have one big pile of code and the name of my labels was very random, so nobody would have a living change of knowing what i did.
but when looking at it today(+30 later), i can still see the meaning of what i did and i can also remember some of it, but if i code something today i can't remember it tomorrow, so i also have to structure it better today or else i am lost my self :lol: :D

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:41 am

mikro wrote:If you're using Steem (i.e. PC), maybe you shoud consider working in vasm - in that case only the sky's the limit. :)

I have hear about vasm before, but i would have no idea where to start, in vasm can you run you ST code or do you need to run it from a Emulator?

Thx for the suggestion
the setup that i use is
i have a hard disk partition in STeem, so i just edit my code in Notepad++ save my code and when i want to test it i just tab over to STeem,
where i load it into devpac and assembled it, it does not take long, but it could be nice, if i just could do it all in one editor on the PC.
so maybe i should check out vasm out, any thing i should be aware of do i need something special to make it work?

Social Media

Return to “Coding”