Create a simple game for STF with [A]tari [G]ame [T]ools

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

tonma
Retro freak
Retro freak

Create a simple game for STF with [A]tari [G]ame [T]ools

Postby tonma » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:22 am

Hi, I'm a french indie developper and I wish to make game on STF (low memory 512ko).

I installed the agt with gcc under cygwin and I can compile the basic tutorials for STF. I've installed the Atari MiNT GCC 4.6.4 from vincent's site.
I have some errors on compilation with more advanced tuto/demo but I'll post log after.

Can I convert the "Tutorial 3a - Getting Started" tutorial to run it on STF ?

Of course, I'm not asking to code for me. I would just like to be able to display a sprite and background on STF to begin with.

I have error messages concerning the music / sound when I compile demos(bosscore / tutor5 / h-smup).
All other examples compiles well.
To compile, I make a simple "make clean && make".

bosscore :

Code: Select all

../../agtsys/libcxx/zerolibc.cpp: In function 'int puts(const char*)':
../../agtsys/libcxx/zerolibc.cpp:67:18: warning: value computed is not used [-Wunused-value]
../../agtsys/libcxx/zerolibc.cpp:68:17: warning: value computed is not used [-Wunused-value]
At global scope:
cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-narrowing" [enabled by default]
bosscore.cpp: In function 'void menu_vblservice()':
bosscore.cpp:248:1: warning: label 'mainloop' defined but not used [-Wunused-label]
bosscore.cpp: In function 'int AGT_EntryPoint()':
bosscore.cpp:721:1: warning: label 'restart_game' defined but not used [-Wunused-label]
bosscore.cpp: In function 'void play_fntick(entity_t*)':
bosscore.cpp:843:7: warning: variable 'snake' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
At global scope:
cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-narrowing" [enabled by default]
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x1336): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x1376): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x1390): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x139e): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x13a4): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x13ac): undefined reference to `_g_instrument_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x13cc): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x140e): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x142c): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x143a): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x1440): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x1448): more undefined references to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map' follow
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x145e): undefined reference to `_g_instrument_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x1350): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x13be): undefined reference to `_set_channel_routing'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x13e6): undefined reference to `_g_bmm_channel_octave_map'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x1470): undefined reference to `_set_channel_routing'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x35e6): undefined reference to `AGT_SoundOpen()'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x3d2c): undefined reference to `AGT_MusicLoad(char const*)'
bosscore.o:bosscore.o:(.text+0x3d36): undefined reference to `AGT_MusicStart(int)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [../../Makerules:255: bosscore.tos] Error 1

tutor5 :

../../agtsys/libcxx/zerolibc.cpp: In function 'int puts(const char*)':
../../agtsys/libcxx/zerolibc.cpp:67:18: warning: value computed is not used [-Wunused-value]
../../agtsys/libcxx/zerolibc.cpp:68:17: warning: value computed is not used [-Wunused-value]
At global scope:
tutor5a.o:tutor5a.o:(.text+0x2cb4): undefined reference to `_BLiT_EntityDrawVisibleYM_68k'
tutor5a.o:tutor5a.o:(.text+0x327c): undefined reference to `_BLiT_EntityDrawVisibleYM_68k'
tutor5a.o:tutor5a.o:(.text+0x39a4): undefined reference to `_BLiT_EntityDrawVisibleYM_68k'
tutor5a.o:tutor5a.o:(.text+0x3b6c): undefined reference to `_BLiT_EntityDrawVisibleYM_68k'
tutor5a.o:tutor5a.o:(.text+0x3da2): undefined reference to `_BLiT_EntityDrawVisibleYM_68k'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [../../Makerules:255: tutor5a.tos] Error 1

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Create a simple game for STF with [A]tari [G]ame [T]ools

Postby Ragstaff » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Sorry to state the obvious but just to clarify you have 2 questions interleaved in the post.
1) Compilation issues when doing tutorial 5
2) You want to adapt the output of a simple demo to work with STF.

I probably can't help but will bump in case some people who can missed it.
I recall some early demo's dml put out worked on the STF but then he relied pretty heavily on STE features after that and said he might come back to the STF later.

tonma
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby tonma » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks for the bump.
1) I have compilation errors for the music part (YM_68k and AGT_sound / music), I just posted to help if someone would have the same problem.
2) ok, that's what I want to know, if the functions for the STF were present (for sprites / bitmap).

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi, somehow I didn't notice this thread straight away.. will look into this when I get back later today.

Meantime you might want to check you have the latest snapshot from the repo - sounds like it may be out of sync, or an unfortunate snapshot mid-maintenance :-/ if it's not that I'll find out whats going wrong in the evening.

Cheers
D

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:08 pm

There is enough support to implement tutorial3 on STF but the code for it has gone stale and might need fixes - and the playfield config needs to be changed inside the project for STF to provide an appropriate buffer pattern for the required scroll type (h-scroll needs more buffers - but even v-scroll needs some tweaks for STF).

I'll try to get this working again soon and put a sample in - but STF support generally will be behind STE.

tonma
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby tonma » Mon May 01, 2017 7:05 am

No worries for the STF, it was to be sure. You are doing a fantastic job for STE :-D.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon May 01, 2017 9:06 am

:cheers:

If you see problems building the codebase for STE you can just PM me with a diagnostic build.log and I'll take a look.

e.g. from the tutorials/tutor3 directory...

$ make clean && make -d > build.log 2>&1

It could be something like the bin/ tools not being on the system path (for Cygwin) or some other environment thing I haven't noticed yet. Or as mentioned previously - a snapshot taken from a temporarily broken repo. I usually make sure the code is 100% working before pushing but since it's a hobby project I can sometimes be in a hurry ;)

I have two sets of changes imminent but will not add them to the repo until I retest everything with a clean checkout.

tonma
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby tonma » Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 am

I download the last version bfb3311635ad and all work fine. Certainly "an unfortunate snapshot mid-maintenance" :D

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 am

FYI draw priority / layers is due to be checked in later this week, when I find some time (requires 1 small change to all dictionary entries to set layer index). Partial STF support (just the basics - single-layer playfields with sprites) will be revived soon after that.

Social Media

Return to “Coding”