GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Nimrod
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Future source-code patches for TOS 2.06/3.06

Postby Nimrod » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Surprising what you can find.
On the Atari HQ CD I found the License agreement for TOS 3.06 for use in the Medusa040. File: TOS_LICN.RTF

License expired 12/31/1999. (No signing date) EDIT: must be 1995
Highlights: License cost 40$ per copy up to 500 units 30$ for each copy above that.
Minimum 25 licenses at 40$ = 1000$ (signing fee)

So there you have it. The non-speculative cost for TOS back in the day...

EDIT: Please note the license agreement did not allow sub-licensing and Atari retained all rights to derivative works.
Meaning we can not sub-license this from Medusa, and it would only cover TOS 3.06 anyway.

The real info here is that Atari was willing to give a simple license for next to nothing 20 years ago.
Last edited by Nimrod on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Nimrod wrote:Surprising what you can find.
On the Atari HQ CD I found the License agreement for TOS 3.06 for use in the Medusa040. File: TOS_LICN.RTF

License expired 12/31/1999. (No signing date)
Highlights: License cost 40$ per copy up to 500 units 30$ for each copy above that.

Kick starter time? We should group together and buy it

Nimrod
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Nimrod » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 am

Frank B wrote:
Nimrod wrote:Surprising what you can find.

License expired 12/31/1999. (No signing date)

Kick starter time? We should group together and buy it

An interesting idea... The cost of a license is one thing and the cost of the whole OS is another. On the other hand Caldera already gave the IP away for free. I would suggest a price of 5-10k$ as a thank you for Atari to bother signing the papers. Paying for the lawyers to buy it might cost a bit more than the eventual purchase price. I think the only way to get this done is to get someone (CEO) at Atari "exited" about the marketing/goodwill value of such a transaction. I think supporting geek culture is worth something. "Atari is supporting a new generation of game developers on an old platform... blah blah blah". It's a question how you spin it.

I could buy this via my company and release it. The key here is you need a company for the practical details.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:59 am

Nimrod wrote:The real info here is that Atari was willing to give a simple license for next to nothing 20 years ago.

While this is an incredible find, today it doesn't mean much. For starters, there's no person who understand / is able to sell this kind of stuff anymore. You want to license Centipede? Cool. But telling how much a piece of ancient source code is? No way.

Social Media

Return to “Coding”