8-way scrolling system for prototyping games on STE

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: 8-way scrolling system for prototyping games on STE

Postby dml » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:26 pm

metalages wrote:About using C++ on old architectures, have you seen this great talk ? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkNBP00wJE

Yes, thanks - its been doing the rounds today :)

He talks about c++14/17 but many of the basic ideas still work on c++0x for Atari too, with some care.

I haven't used it that much in agt but there is some for configuring the playfield code generation, since a single on/off switch parameter can result in significant rearrangement of logic & calculations.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:50 am

And we now have the same Godbolt interactive compiler explorer - as seen in that video - working as a local server running Atari GCC and outputting 68k as you type...

:twisted:

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:51 pm

awesome stuff!

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:13 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:awesome stuff!

With any luck I can bundle it pre-installed along with the Linux AGT dev environment. Makes a fun toy and might be useful to work on the Atari code.

(I've used it before to confirm x86/x64 stuff on other projects but not m68k before now)

metalages
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby metalages » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:14 pm

dml wrote:And we now have the same Godbolt interactive compiler explorer - as seen in that video - working as a local server running Atari GCC and outputting 68k as you type...

:twisted:

Cool :)
I have played a bit with C++11 constexpr => at this time only recursive algorithms could be used.
Anyway it allowed to do some amazing things :)

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:24 pm

metalages wrote:Cool :)
I have played a bit with C++11 constexpr => at this time only recursive algorithms could be used.
Anyway it allowed to do some amazing things :)

Yeah you can do some pretty amazing things at compiletime in c++, especially now with 'properly' const expressions.

It will be quite nice to see which things actually are effective on Atari gcc 4.6 (which really is quite old now). Having some quick interactive feedback could mean a bit less crossing-fingers and hoping for the best :D

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:25 pm

I have started making a guide for the PhotoChrome palette & colour reduction tool (CryptoChrome) used in the AGT game demos/samples.

https://bitbucket.org/d_m_l/agtools/wik ... ome%20tool

Have only covered plain 16-colour palettes generation so far but I'll fill in the other topics over time - including interlaced Degas images, playfields & sprites, C2P texture sets and other scenarios.

Background for the CryptoChrome tool was covered here some time ago: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=24166

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:07 am

Doug, you work quite a time on all these utilities for creating new generation of Atari ST games... :)

Every piece come to place suddenly :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:44 pm

calimero wrote:Doug, you work quite a time on all these utilities for creating new generation of Atari ST games... :)

Every piece come to place suddenly :)

:cheers:
It's taking ages, but nearly there :)

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:48 pm

Have made some improvements to PCS v6.30 including the ability to generate images on specific bitplanes.

e.g. you can generate a 3-bitplane image (+palette) using '-ccdodge 1011', to avoid bitplane 2. This produces an 8-colour image in single-field mode, and typically around 32 colours with interlacing (or single 8-colour image with dither) in dual-field mode.

The -ccdodge switch can be used with locked palette colours also (-ccl), so generated colours can be combined with user-defined ones.

Have also placed a proper quantizer in front of the CryptoChrome step to dramatically reduce processing times when generating interlaced palettes. Earlier versions provided a simple histogram cap for this, which chopped off the least popular colours at some user-defined threshold - but it often damages the image. The quantizer solves this problem and keeps the fidelity of the image with sensible processing times.

The new default setting is to quantize input images to 512 colours before crunching but this can be modified with '-ccincap <numcolours>'. The quantizer step can be skipped entirely by just passing a large value here.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:45 am

dml wrote:Have made some improvements to PCS v6.30 including the ability to generate images on specific bitplanes.

Ooooh ... I can definitely see that going into future demos, not just games.

I'll put it on my list for SYNC's production for STNICCC 2032 at least :D :D :D

/Troed

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:39 pm

troed wrote:Ooooh ... I can definitely see that going into future demos, not just games.

Hopefully its usable for that now, but if not I can always fling some more demoy options in there. Never enough demoy options.

troed wrote:I'll put it on my list for SYNC's production for STNICCC 2032 at least :D :D :D

\o/ that's great - and now you're committed! :-P Only 15 and counting!

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:43 pm

Update...

ggn figured out how to get the godbolt server hosted properly and has launched it on a public url:

http://brownbot.hopto.org

So now you can get realtime interactive asm feedback from your c/c++, and you don't need to wait for my unfinished linux VM to do it.

As an extra bonus, this supports not just Vincent's existing GCC4.6/TOS for 68k, but also a new version of GCC6.2/ELF (with C++14 etc.) that ggn & I been hacking away at different pieces of recently - and now appears to be working (after much pain!).

(I can currently build AGT with GCC6 and have been working on BadMood also)

That's all for now.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:23 pm

tip: remember to add '-Ofast' and possibly '-fomit-frame-pointer' in the command field next to '-m68000' if you want decent asm to be generated! It will default to no optimization.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:59 pm

I have pushed out a bunch of fixes to the AGT code, related to startup/shutdown problems (default branch).

I have also pushed out a new version of AGT (brownelf-beta branch) which can be built with either GCC4.6.4 or GCC6.2. This has increased the complexity of the makefiles, but mainly because of differences between the two compilers. Setting up projects is the same as before.

This updated version has some additional fixes and simplifies the users' init/shutdown sequence a bit. However the differences are relatively small. It's mostly a result of cleanup to support the newer compiler.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:19 pm

Is this project on hold? Haven't had any news in a couple of months. Hope it's not been shelved. :(

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi!

No its not on hold :-) In fact I've done quite a lot in recent weeks, just haven't been posting updates.

I plan to start a new thread about it (AGT) soon which is a bit more focused. The current thread spanned quite a lot of random experiments up to the point it turned into a real project - but now its open for people to use and already is seeing some activity. So the next update will likely be a new thread (which I'll link here of course) covering the basics, some of the demos/examples and the latest features/additions to make game development easier.

Shouldn't be long now :)

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 pm

For anyone not getting notifications on the new thread, but still followed this project on the old thread:

Have created a playlist for some of the AGT demos on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXdels ... GzrdrZJxgM

However its just the demos - not the tutorials. A description has been added with each one.

YT doesn't encode some of them very well due to the interlacing, so they seem a bit jerky & wobbly at times. That's just the encoding though.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:04 pm

nice
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:10 pm

I'm subscribed to you on youtube so was very happy to see these uploads popping up last night (Melbourne time). Very cool

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:31 pm

All of the demos were great. Demo five really points to stuff going out of the box and things made by pure witchcraft.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:52 am

Demo #4 was amazing!

kcr2000
Atariator
Atariator

Postby kcr2000 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:55 pm

The "real" Alien Breed on Atari - this would be just a dream come true!

Love this game! Awesome work!

Sadly, I am not a programmer, but maybe someone with the appropriate skills would undertake that. This would be just mindblowing :D

Are there any download links for this demo?
Last edited by kcr2000 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Social Media

Return to “Coding”