Cross Development Tools

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Cross Development Tools

Postby Rustynutt » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Mikefulton wrote:So I'm looking at Vincent Riviere's site, and the "quickstart" instructions for his stuff says:

2. This presumes way too much knowledge about Cygwin and/or Linux systems. I have no idea how to run the "Cygwin setup program" and trying a command line of "setup libmpc3" did nothing useful. So now I'm stuck. How do I do this? [/color]

Figured it out... not that hard ultimately, but I still think it needs a more clear explanation.

3. Downloading it was easy enough. Haven't tried installing it yet... wanna get past step 2 first.

Just finished doing this. Easy-peasy.

4. Tools are prefixed by "m68k-atari-mint-gcc" because the existing names were too short? Sigh.

Well, theoretically I have it all installed now, but it is time for me to call it a night. Tomorrow I'll play around with building something within Cygwin's BASH shell, and then I'll look at configuring an IDE to use the tools.

Didn't find another thread specifically dealing with this question. Know it old.

How do you use libmpc3 to install the Cross MiNT setup exe file?
Is there a pointer to a more step by step installation guide for Cygwin, or should I just stick to DevPAC and ST Basic? :)

Getting a DSP56362EVM board, at a minimum want to bench test standalone DSP code between the 56001 and the 56362.
Yes, it could be calculated, figure the board might be of significance for someone to develop a DSP card for the CT60 series.
The 56362 has a livelier clock as well as being 56000 obj code compatible. Besides, it wasn't much :)

Would this be a good spot to ask about the Falcon DSP BUS Decoding GAL? Could addressing be changed in hardware to point to a DSP on the 060 BUS as a pointer for existing softs?

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Rustynutt wrote:Would this be a good spot to ask about the Falcon DSP BUS Decoding GAL? Could addressing be changed in hardware to point to a DSP on the 060 BUS as a pointer for existing softs?

I got some F030 gal dumps in my guide thread linked in my sig. I also believe Rodolpho Czuba got some on his site somewhere.

http://www.powerphenix.com/

But it probably would help if you had the Atari part number handy...
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Greenious,
Bought spare GALS from Wizztronics years ago, and picked up a bunch of programmable too. Have a GAL programmer from Maxon for the TT. I wouldn't know what to look at really. Doug Little is pretty sharp, thought about pinging him. Think I can handle sending something like Nembench to the DSP for starters. There's an LCD display, don't have the board in hand yet. Do have a 56001 board to learn with too. I'd talked with Doug some time back about swapping out the 5001 on the Falcon with a later version, think there's a couple pinouts that would require some mods. The boards seem a more reasonable way to start.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:00 am

Rustynutt wrote:Thanks for the reply Greenious,
Bought spare GALS from Wizztronics years ago, and picked up a bunch of programmable too. Have a GAL programmer from Maxon for the TT. I wouldn't know what to look at really. Doug Little is pretty sharp, thought about pinging him. Think I can handle sending something like Nembench to the DSP for starters. There's an LCD display, don't have the board in hand yet. Do have a 56001 board to learn with too. I'd talked with Doug some time back about swapping out the 5001 on the Falcon with a later version, think there's a couple pinouts that would require some mods. The boards seem a more reasonable way to start.

I did look into that a few years ago, while I don't remember the details, my conclusion was that a replacement was problematic. The differences were big enough to cause compatibility problems and having people disable/remove/replace the existing DSP likely to cause more than one broken F030, especially if you wanted more than a marginal upgrade, more ram etc.

Instead I got the idea of adding another DSP, and in such a way that it would be available as an upgrade for all Ataris, not only F030, but ST/STE aswell, that also led me to start investigating DSPs from other vendors, Texas had some interesting ones aswell back then. I later abandoned that before it turned into more than an idea, but I still think that is the way to go. Ie, keep the old hardware as is, go for new and extreme...
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Thinking along the same lines, why I was wondering about the DSP GAL being able to re-route the address as it were. Compatibility with existing softs too, at least the math side, I doubt most legacy music apps could every be patched to work outside the existing Falcon structure.
Been awhile since thinking about it, yes, it would have to be an expansion bus card for sure. What got me thinking again was using Apex on the CT60 and SV. Apex use to seem very fast :). DSP routines really drag now. Didn't install my first run CT60 and really get to use it until recently, it's sat boxed for what, 10 years at least! SV has sat neatly as long. Picked up two CT63e's, tested them and back in the box they went. I've been through the Nemesis phase, Mighty Sonic, Afterburner. Appreciate how "elegant" the install is for the 060 :)

Social Media

Return to “Coding”