Experimental Atari STE image enhancement website online

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

evil
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Experimental Atari STE image enhancement website online

Postby evil » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:37 pm

Anima wrote:The website has been updated: support for monochrome (640 x 400) and mid-res (640 x 200) resolutions has been added.

Supercool stuff, you work faster than I can manage to check :-)

A couple of years ago I fiddled a little with medium resolution and fullscreen (as it had been done by Delta Force back in the PYM demo, I knew it was possible at least), anyways I also did a simple greyscale -> medres converter that made two screens for an illusion of 7 scales, just like your tool but probably a lot worse.

I took that medres fullscreen code and put it in the duo viewer, and voila we now have two ttp's: one for lowres 416*273 (du1 files now) and one for medres 832*273 (du2).
If you want to support that as well, we got a way to watch it at least. I know it sucks to change extension, but as Degas works that way I guess it should be familiar to most. The file format is the same as before, just that the medres version only have 8 bytes of palette at the start. The included picture was converted with my old lame code, I'm sure there can be much cooler stuff made with the real tool :-)

I guess it would be a good idea to create a simple yet sufficient header to avoid double viewers and allow any resolution and bit depth to be stored (useful for Amiga if nothing else), but that's for another day.

Oh here's the new archive for both du1 and du2 files: http://files.dhs.nu/files_gfx/duo_v2.zip

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:24 pm

Supercool stuff, you work faster than I can manage to check :-)

So do you! :mrgreen:
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:20 pm

evil wrote:Oh here's the new archive for both du1 and du2 files: http://files.dhs.nu/files_gfx/duo_v2.zip

Thanks! Please check the website again... ;)

I've attached some example DU2 images as well.

Cheers
Sascha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 am

Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:27 pm

AdamK wrote:Hi

Support for DUO and PL4 has been added to Recoil library:

http://recoil.sourceforge.net/

Great news! Thanks a lot. :cheers:

evil

Postby evil » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Anima wrote:
evil wrote:Oh here's the new archive for both du1 and du2 files: http://files.dhs.nu/files_gfx/duo_v2.zip

Thanks! Please check the website again... ;)

I've attached some example DU2 images as well.

Thanks, some of those medres fullscreens actually look pretty slick, much better than I had expected. I guess the smaller pixels actually make a difference in the dithering.
I'm also running out of ideas of new ST screen formats to support :)

What I can come up with are;
- Current ST-modes but with one palette per scanline (like Neochrome Master)
- TT-MED (640*480, 16 colours, 4-bit RGB like STe)
- TT-LOW (320*480, 256 colours, 4-bit RGB like STe)
- Falcon 256 colours (xxx*yyy, 6-bit RGB)
- Falcon hicolour (xxx*yyy, 565 RGB)

I do realise this is far out stuff, the current tool is really good for it's target and the data can easily be used in Atari your own software :)
Plus Dougs APEX viewers already do the Falcon stuff to some extent, except allowing to save the generated fields/palette.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 pm

evil wrote:Thanks, some of those medres fullscreens actually look pretty slick, much better than I had expected. I guess the smaller pixels actually make a difference in the dithering.
I'm also running out of ideas of new ST screen formats to support :)

Please note that the maximum luminance delta for the enhanced mid-res images needs to be increased just to allow more colour combinations. Unfortunately this increases the flickering as well. So (as an obvious fact) don't expect too much using that resolution. ;)

evil wrote:What I can come up with are;
- Current ST-modes but with one palette per scanline (like Neochrome Master)
- TT-MED (640*480, 16 colours, 4-bit RGB like STe)
- TT-LOW (320*480, 256 colours, 4-bit RGB like STe)
- Falcon 256 colours (xxx*yyy, 6-bit RGB)
- Falcon hicolour (xxx*yyy, 565 RGB)

Adding new resolutions and colour depths to the tool is quite easy. Adding new modes with palette changing each scanline is a different story. Not that this is really hard to implement but my (and also Doug's CryptoChrome approach) intention is different: use this feature for games, especially for those with moving backgrounds. I have some things in mind which would look really good on the Atari STE but this technique still needs a proof of concept. I'll try to prepare a demo as the time permits.

Cheers
Sascha

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:21 pm

what about adding other dithering methods? e.g. like that?
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:01 pm

Cyprian wrote:what about adding other dithering methods? e.g. like that?

Did you mean the anti-flicker dithering or the the one for the resulting image? I'll add alternative anti-flicker methods soon.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 pm

yep, I mean the anti-flicker dithering.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Cyprian wrote:yep, I mean the anti-flicker dithering.

The website has been updated. ;)

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:43 pm

TT resolutions added. Also the palette can now be locked to be used on the next image conversion process.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:22 pm

How do I upload a new picture? I can't find any button or anything for it. All I see is the test image.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:How do I upload a new picture? I can't find any button or anything for it. All I see is the test image.

Just drag and drop your image on the test image. The upload button has been removed but I can activate it if that works better for your needs.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Ok, I didn't know I had to do that, hehe. Will try it.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri May 29, 2015 10:36 pm

Anima wrote:
evil wrote:Or why not use 15 colours, then one colour could be spared for raster gradients.

You may check the website again to see the new functions. ;)

So now choose from 4, 8 or 16 colors for the Atari images.

Thanks for this very useful tool :) I have been playing around with it a bit and the results can be quite stunning on CRT's. There are two things I miss though - a wider selection of max colours (e.g. 15 like evil suggested) and also the possibility to manually enter the desired size. The second one is quit easy to work around by simply cropping the image afterwards, but it would be nice to limit the number of colours to e.g. 15 or 7.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Sun May 31, 2015 5:05 am

joska wrote:Thanks for this very useful tool :) I have been playing around with it a bit and the results can be quite stunning on CRT's. There are two things I miss though - a wider selection of max colours (e.g. 15 like evil suggested) and also the possibility to manually enter the desired size. The second one is quit easy to work around by simply cropping the image afterwards, but it would be nice to limit the number of colours to e.g. 15 or 7.

I'm glad you like it. :)

Well the colour quantisation is actually optimised for power of two number of colours. I'll have a look when I find some time. However, you can add your own functions easily by altering the main.js source. ;)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun May 31, 2015 3:29 pm

Yes, I had a brief look at the source. Not sure if I want to do anything to it though - I haven't done anything in JS the last 15 years...
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks for this great tool, Anima. I'd been using a Windows program called XnView to convert PC images to ST Degas Elite compatible formats (IFF), but that often resulted in weird palette stuff, meaning I'd have to go back to Degas and retouch it with the colour change tool. This looks to be a lot cleaner when converting the colours. Nice work!
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:34 pm

Would be possible to add more values to "Max. colours:"? E.g. 12 colors? That would allow to add 4 colors FX to our upcoming ST demo.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Cyprian wrote:Would be possible to add more values to "Max. colours:"? E.g. 12 colors? That would allow to add 4 colors FX to our upcoming ST demo.

Unfortunately not with the current version (I suppose that you're referring to this tool). The improvement of the colour quantisation quality by adding a "k-means" based algorithm is being planned and the UI will get a big overhaul as well so please stay tuned.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:18 pm

this one: http://atari.anides.de/ :)
now for the ST we use two interlaced 16colors images. would be cool to have possibility to reduce palette to 12colors for each image, and the rest use for something else like demo effect.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:19 pm

Cyprian wrote:this one: http://atari.anides.de/ :)
now for the ST we use two interlaced 16colors images. would be cool to have possibility to reduce palette to 12colors for each image, and the rest use for something else like demo effect.

[plug!]

FYI you can currently do this using the cryptochrome sub-tool within photochrome via the ' -ccprotect' command.

-ccprotect 15 ; protect colour 15 from being used in the output image(s)

You can protect as many colours as you like, but results will be poor if you overuse it.

And some related commands:

-ccfields 2 ; produce dualfield palette
-ccfields 1 ; produce normal palette, but using same algorithm
-ccl 0=0:0:0 ; lock colour 0 to black (but still use it in output image unless also protected)
-ccignore ff:00:ff ; ignore magenta colour in source RGBs

It's probably harder to use than Anima's web tool because the default settings are geared for converting game graphics and generating dithering or nondithering superpalettes for sprites and playfields, not photos - but it does do those too (it was the first mode added) and is fairly powerful with some practice.

[/end plug!]

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:20 pm

Uh, yes... I almost forgot that site. :D

Ok, I did some tests and this might work with the tool even if it doesn't support 12 colours at all.

At first resize the image to 320x200 pixels and use pngquant to reduce the palette to 12 colours:

Code: Select all

./pngquant --posterize ARGB0333 12 image.png

Note that for the extended palette of the Atari STE you should use ARGB0444 instead.
Then use the online tool to load the quantized image (image-or8.png). Now click on "lock palette" and load the original image which now uses only 12 colours for both alternating images.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:30 am

DOU/PL4 codecs for zView, as I don't have the proper hardware to view such nice images. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “Coding”