computereyes source code

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

stevenlee1
Retro freak
Retro freak

computereyes source code

Postby stevenlee1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:50 pm

I bought a computereyes vision system for my ST and read on the back of the box the source code is avalible. Does any body have it? Even if someone can tell me the addresses used and timing to scan a video source it would be helpful. I'd like to use the hardware for rudamentary robotic vision. Thanks.

stevenlee1
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: computereyes source code

Postby stevenlee1 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Would it be possible to use a disassembler to find out the code?

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:35 pm

You could but you'd have to go through the whole lot and change addresses into labels so you can follow what the code is doing. I did it years ago with the STOS Squasher extension and I can honestly say it was extremely laborious and time consuming.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Get a hold of TT-Digger (free). Don't let the name fool ya, works on ST's. It's an interactive dis-assembler and it will auto generate the labels for you. You might have to figure out what is data and what is not, as jump tables won't be auto-resolved. However it can aid in jump tables, you just mark a section of code, hit "W" for word, and it will reformat that section into a word table, then hit ""J" and it figures out the jumps and reformat the table again and place the labels for you. All rather slick. It's still some work mind you, since you do need to be good at understanding asm code with no comments. :)
Last edited by lp on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Upload the software to here and I'm sure someone will lend a hand :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:02 pm

muguk wrote:Upload the software to here and I'm sure someone will lend a hand :)

I wouldn't be too sure. Anything involving disassembly tends to be a major pain in the glutes :wink:

However, I'm sure somebody out there has the source since it was available for free in the first place?
Member of the Atari Legend team

stevenlee1
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stevenlee1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Yeah, it does sound like a pain to dissassemble. I'm not real good at 68k asm, because I suck at programing. I prefer hardware. Software is just a necessary evil. Really all I'd need is to find out how the program reads the card. And that can't be hard because the cartrige port only reads data.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:14 pm

stevenlee1 wrote:Yeah, it does sound like a pain to dissassemble. I'm not real good at 68k asm, because I suck at programing. I prefer hardware. Software is just a necessary evil. Really all I'd need is to find out how the program reads the card. And that can't be hard because the cartrige port only reads data.

You should be able to locate the cart port addresses quite easily, in fact TT-Digger will comment most hardware registers and OS calls as such. Then perhaps isolate any cart read/write routines or protocols. But again it's work and usually takes some serious motivation.

The other thing not mentioned is trying to find the original author, once in a while one gets lucky.

stevenlee1
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stevenlee1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:34 pm

You should be able to locate the cart port addresses quite easily, in fact TT-Digger will comment most hardware registers and OS calls as such. Then perhaps isolate any cart read/write routines or protocols. But again it's work and usually takes some serious motivation.

The other thing not mentioned is trying to find the original author, once in a while one gets lucky.[/quote]

Does anybody have TT digger. If so I need the file that runs on the real ST. It maybe a pain, but I would like to know how it works. If the disassembly program can label somethings for me that makes it a hell of a lot easier!

Funny you mention the author, I did do a search for him with no luck.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:42 pm

As the cartridge port is readonly you will only see "read" commands for it.
"Writes" to the cartridge port are achieved by reading a special address (in the address range of the cartridge). A part of the address you are reading from, will encode the byte to send over.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

stevenlee1
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stevenlee1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:57 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:As the cartridge port is readonly you will only see "read" commands for it.
"Writes" to the cartridge port are achieved by reading a special address (in the address range of the cartridge). A part of the address you are reading from, will encode the byte to send over.

Yeah thats how I figured it works.

I found the TT Digger program and will try and see what happends. Hopefully, I can understand the code. If it does label somethings then it will be easier to understand. Even though I don't know much about 68k ML programing I'm hopefull I'll learn by this. Besides I did write 8085 code for a computer I built with no help.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:58 am

I know this is a really old thread, but they have a website with contact info. Might still be an interesting read for some. Company history and such as well. http://www.digital-vision-inc.com/index.htm

I would like to find some sample raw image files if anyone has some.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:54 pm

The address at his site works. I asked Dave Pratt for the source code as mentioned in the literature and he has nothing. Can't even tell me anything about the file formats. He also said he lost track of John Brochu in the 80's who is noted as the author of the ComputerEyess software. Although quite friendly and receptive to emails, he can't help anyone looking for technical information. I guess the next step is finding John Brochu.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:53 pm

I found some clue that John Brochu used the alias "john_in_middleton" which led me to this page:
https://myspace.com/john_in_middleton
Dave Pratt verified it was indeed correct. I tried to contact John through myspace, but never got any reply.

Further googling led me to atariuptodate which gave his middle initial:
http://www.atariuptodate.de/en/authors/ ... ochu-5148/

Googling with his middle initial revealed:
http://obittree.com/obituary/us/massach ... hu/627319/ :(
Note that they added "MIDDLETON" to his name, perhaps to honor his online alias. I looked at several other obituaries at the site and his is the only one like that. All of John's sites disappeared around 2007/2008 which coincides with the date of passing.

I asked Dave if he could verify any of the survivor names, but he could not. Dave did say this: "Although John wore a mustache and had longer hair back in the day, the MySpace photo is definitely him. I guess it's pretty safe to assume that he's no longer among us."

And thus ends my search. John's list of Atari ST software contributions as far as know:
ProCalc, PicSwitch, Deluxe Slideshow, ComputerEyes Digitizer

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks for the update Lonny (and the persistent research).

Another noted Atari individual gone.

R.I.P...
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Social Media

Return to “Coding”