PCS format

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Re: PCS format

Postby Nyh » Mon May 26, 2008 11:00 pm

I compiled a PC version of the program too. I won't do a full source release yet because the program can core dump on .IFF files.

Hans Wessels
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ROWBEARTOE
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby ROWBEARTOE » Tue May 27, 2008 12:25 am

OMG! What a great program. I just finished converting a PCS file. Amazing!

BTW, PBX files didn't work. I have the demo 320x200 picture and 640x200 picture. None of them worked? I have the orginal Eidersoft program from David T Jones. Ideas?

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 am

ROWBEARTOE wrote:BTW, PBX files didn't work. I have the demo 320x200 picture and 640x200 picture. None of them worked? I have the orginal Eidersoft program from David T Jones. Ideas?

Please send me the files. I will look into it.

Hans Wessels

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:20 pm

DML has now joined the forum so should be able to answer PCS format queries you have :-)
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi - I just found this. Will take me a while to plod through the forum and catch up.

PCS format - I recently came across the source code for Photochrome and probably the PCS-?? convertor module as well. It was one of the few floppies that I did manage to recover. I haven't had time to inspect it for goodness but if all goes well I'll upload the code to my site (which is being put together right now).

In the meantime I'll fish through this thread and see if there are specific questions needing answered as I might remember the answers without futzing with the source :)

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Well it looks like the detangling of PCS has already been done with some reverse engineering :-) nice work.

I don't know if the source for the PCS generator is still of use but I'll post a link when I get it checked for completeness and uploaded.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:27 am

For anyone who missed the updates in the other thread http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20692, the source code (and binaries) for the PCS generator (v5) is now available on my site for download...

http://www.leonik.net/dml/sec_pcs.py

(The stuff concerning the file format is all in one sourcefile and there are functions there to compress/decompress the data).

The source can be built for a PC using GCC with Cygwin (the Posix environment for Windows) found here: http://www.cygwin.com/

..or for Atari using Vincent's MiNT cross-compiler here: http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/.

It should also be possible to build it natively on an Atari if you have the compiler setup with MiNT but I haven't tried it.

The asm source for V3 will also go on the site soon. I still can't find the source for V4 but anyone with the time could disassemble it and diff them! :)

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:06 am

I found a GFA Artist manual on my bookshelf and it notes the layout of the image files. The only thing it doesn't mention is how to determine the color of a given pixel. Is the info worth adding to the wiki and/or can someone figure out how to determine the pixel colors? The disk can be download here if someone wants to take a crack at it:
http://www.emuparadise.me/Atari_ST_ROMs ... %5D/118525
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lp on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:26 am

lp: I think that you are not aware what PCS format is. Surely not supported by GFA Artist.
Is it that program what worked only with German TOS 1.00, if I remember well ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:40 am

I think you are the one not aware of several things. I don't think you read the entire thread, I did. This thread indeed started out about the PCS format, but a few other formats are discussed and the wiki where the formats are listed. So I placed this post here on purpose to reach those who are into cracking image formats. Also I already wrote a PhotoChrome codec for zView, guess you missed that too.

EDIT July 26, 2015
Never mind. Sorted this format. Can be loaded into zView. :wink:

Social Media

Return to “Coding”