SCSI controller

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

steph
Atari User
Atari User

SCSI controller

Postby steph » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:20 am

hello,

on this site : http://atari4ever.free.fr/ in the drive section, there are schematics for a SCSI controller to be connected to the d-sub 19 harddrive port of the atari.

Does anyone tryed to "build" and use this controller ?
Steph

kkallio
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kkallio » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:36 am

I suppose you mean http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/zip/scsicnt.zip

I considered building one (before I found the old Megafile 60 I'm trying to get working now :). I went so far that I did some background research for this, checking for component availibility etc.

First, it seems that the board uses some very outdated components that are hard to find. It could be possible to replace these with more modern ones, but since I'm no expert in electronics, I came to the conclusion that I'd leave this to the experts.

Second, there are just the schematics, not the board design. I tried drawing the board with Eagle, and came to the conclusion that this should be left to experts as well. :) Also, the board needs to be double-sided, so making one without access to a PCB manufacturing facility would be quite difficult.

Anyway, I think that this could work if someone with more solid knowledge of electronics takes the schematics, updates some components and makes a working PCB layout. Any volunteers? :)
Lance / Aggression

steph
Atari User
Atari User

Postby steph » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:04 am

well, I must admit that I am not an electronic expert at all :oops: , so I don't plan to do this myself...
But if someone with good electronic knowledge can try to have a look for us. Megafile and atari SH are pretty rare and expensive (and old asci to scsi controllers also), so if the controller works with standard hard drive software, perhaps we can try to make a grouped command somewhere for a good price.
Steph

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:03 pm

The schematics are pretty easy to read, thanks to them using old components. :)

They can for the most part be replaced with a PAL or GAL chip, which makes the PCB fairly easy to do.

I have not tried that schematics, but I have looked at it, and it sure looks alright. So if someone feels up to making something of it, I'm all for it, and will help in any way that I can.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

kkallio
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kkallio » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:28 am

I would be interested (I have an external SCSI box and 500 meg drive already with no means to connect it to my ST).

I can make some simple PCB's (I'm currently building etherNEC) but I think this one goes beyond my capabilities. I do the PCB by first printing with a laser to an overhead projector transparency, then transferring the image with heat to the PCB, then some fixing with a pen if the transfer was not complete, and finally etching with ferric chloride. It works surprisingly well, but double sided PCBs are difficult. The heating tends to stretch the transparencies, and exact matching of both sides is damn hard to achieve.

So if you can provide a PCB layout that's doable with the method I use, I would certainly give it a try... Well, I also have a friend who will soon have access to the PCB machinery at his school, so I could consider also more difficult ones later. :)
Lance / Aggression

ATARI-ALIVE
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: SCSI controller

Postby ATARI-ALIVE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:16 pm

steph wrote:hello,

on this site : http://atari4ever.free.fr/ in the drive section, there are schematics for a SCSI controller to be connected to the d-sub 19 harddrive port of the atari.

Does anyone tryed to "build" and use this controller ?

Hello.

(Sorry my grammars will be bad) :oops:

I know this is too old forum but in case as I show you.

I just made new PCB from 123PCB here pictures:

:cheers:

I just ordered the Sockets and ICs and connectors.

will keep post. :mrgreen:

I can built for you guys. but I need test 1st to see if worked.

yes I use http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/zip/scsicnt.zip for this PCB.

To Be Continue.... :coffe:
THANK YOU
ATARI ALIVE!
------------------------
My Toys: 1-1040STF, 1-1040STFM, 2-800XL, 1-MYIDE internal Interface, 1-850, 1-1020, 1-1030, 2-light pen, 9 CX40 joysticks, 4-CX40 joystick to USB(mod), 2-trackball, 1-2600, 1-5200, 1-HAPPY 1050, 1-US DOUBLER ENHANCED 1050.

Erazotropa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: SCSI controller

Postby Erazotropa » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:24 pm

Any news already?

Would be nice to hook up some of my SCSI drives on my STE instead of my megafile 60 8)
Björn - Erazotropa - Eraz

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”