Mega STE ram? HD adapter?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

STESearcher
Retro freak
Retro freak

Mega STE ram? HD adapter?

Postby STESearcher » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:31 am

Does the Mega STE use the same sims as a 1040 STE? When I get my Mega 1, I'd like to just transfer the sims over to it so I have a 4 meg Mega.

Also, is the HD adapter built into a Mega STE, or does it just have a port inside the case and room for a small HD?

Back in the day, my 1040 STE had a 45 meg HD (guys then said I was crazy for so much space) so I definitely want a HD in the Mega.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:57 am

My MegaSTE has got the usual SIMMs in it and currently has the 4MB.

As for h/drives, the one I bought came with an external one and try as we could, could not get it installed inside as there was the HDD interface missing on my one compared to other kinds of MegaSTE.

So if you've got a HDD interface, then you lucky lucky so & so :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

STESearcher
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby STESearcher » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:21 pm

I've got a Supra 20 meg (mechanism is dead in it) and a ICD card I used with my STE. I'll use one or the other depending on how it goes. I like the Supra due to the case and power supply, the ICD unit was cobbled togther back then with an old PC case for the power supply.

I hope the ICD software will work with the Supra unit.

I have an old 520ST with an upgrade to a meg which currently doesn't work (don't know why) and a 1040STFM which is similarly dead. My STE still works. I got about 75+ disks of software, mostly shareware which need to be backed up. I've been loading it as images into my PC for use with STEEM so I can have backups.

I've never been able to let go of my ST habit.... :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:47 pm

When you've done all your transfers / images. Let us know if there's anything rare in there that we could do with adding to our collections.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Nutking
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Mega STE ram? HD adapter?

Postby Nutking » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:52 pm

STESearcher wrote:Does the Mega STE use the same sims as a 1040 STE? When I get my Mega 1,

Hi,

The 1040 STe and the Mega STE do take the same simms. You are not so clear about the "Mega 1". If it is the machine I think it is, an Atari Mega ST / 1Mb, you cannot put simms in it or take them out. Simms are STe only. Mega ST and Mega STE are different machines in al lot of ways.

good luck, dNK

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:57 am

No, there was a Mega STE/1 released. I recently bought one NIB! It is a Mega STE with four 256k SIMMs for a total of 1MB RAM, it also does NOT have a SCSI adaptor in side, and thus has a HD cover with no LED on it! The idea was to release a entry level Mega STE. You can get the HD Kit for it that includes the SCSI card and new HD case with HD cradle and LED, disk, cables, etc. I am after this kit myself!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:16 am

So that sounds like the one I got as well .. my h/drive is an external ICD box after the abortive attempts by CJ to install a new internal drive and there was nothing to plug it in to.

At least I know now that I've got to keep to external devices. Not that it's much of a problem as I'm ordering one of Pakud's IDE interfaces after Xmas as I got an old Xbox 8-gig drive that's looking for somewhere nice and cosy to live :)

STESearcher
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby STESearcher » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:16 pm

muguk wrote:When you've done all your transfers / images. Let us know if there's anything rare in there that we could do with adding to our collections.

Glad the forum is back up!

Actually I was way underestimating the number of disks...I have something closer to 375 disks. I have many disks of shareware, most of which I cannot remember what they do!

Is there a list somewhere of rare stuff that I can lookout for?

I have a Mege STe 4 with a HD on the way now, I'll be playing with that soon.

Sgt Chaos
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Sgt Chaos » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:21 pm

Hi guys

Good to see this forum is back up :)

I also have a Mega STE with an internal 120mb Maxtor drive and 4mb, i have a couple of questions;

1) I have an external MegaFile 20 which i am trying to get the files off, to transfer to the Mega, but it wont show up when i boot them together, anyone got any ideas? The internal HDD is set as device 0.

2) Where can i get UK TOS roms from, as this has German 2.06 roms

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 8)

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:08 pm

Open the megafile and make sure the id is set to 1. If for some reason you'd rather not open up the box, try setting the internal drive to id 1 by flipping the appropriate switch using the red block on the HD circuit board. Make sure you switch on the external drive first, then the computer.

As to TOS Roms i believe Greenious is burning and selling them. He's on this board so just search on the member list and send him a PM. He's already had a few customers here with no complaints so far!

Paul.

Sgt Chaos
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Sgt Chaos » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:11 pm

PaulB wrote:Open the megafile and make sure the id is set to 1. If for some reason you'd rather not open up the box, try setting the internal drive to id 1 by flipping the appropriate switch using the red block on the HD circuit board. Make sure you switch on the external drive first, then the computer.

As to TOS Roms i believe Greenious is burning and selling them. He's on this board so just search on the member list and send him a PM. He's already had a few customers here with no complaints so far!

Paul.

Cheers for that heads up, I had already tried switching the internal STE ID, with no luck, had to change the MegaFile's ID, and BINGO.

Now all I need to do is get all the disc images to run from the hard drive ;)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”