a few questions!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

rat tisa
Atari User
Atari User

a few questions!

Postby rat tisa » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:26 pm

I'm looking to purchase an Atari 1040 STe as I had one for many years a long time ago and wanted to know a few things:

Whats the most RAM it can be upgraded to? I'm sure i've seen it at 16megs

I want to put it in a tower case, whats the best way and are there any good tutorials? I remember ST Format mentioning a Lighthouse tower case which had a tidy seperate keyboard case.

Are there any tutorials for installing a large capacity hard drive and CD Rom drive?

I want to use it for internet on a few rare occasions, I have broadband on my pc but can i network the atari to it? or what modem am I restricted to?

And also:

I want some ols ST Format magazines, preferably the last 15 or so, does anyone have any for sale?

Regards,

Rat Tisa

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: a few questions!

Postby Greenious » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:53 pm

rat tisa wrote:Whats the most RAM it can be upgraded to? I'm sure i've seen it at 16megs

4mb. More memory than that requires extensive upgrading.

The theoretical maximum is 14mb.

I want to put it in a tower case, whats the best way and are there any good tutorials? I remember ST Format mentioning a Lighthouse tower case which had a tidy seperate keyboard case.

ST/STE and F030 is pretty similar. You can probably adapt a tower made for one of them without too much work to fit your model.

However, it can be quite a task finding one today. You most likely have to build your own. I don't know of any tutorials, maybe someone else?

Are there any tutorials for installing a large capacity hard drive and CD Rom drive?

Not really that I'm aware of. There is no difference between installing a small/large hardrive, the same limitations apply to both of them.

Most drivers for CD/HD come with documentation, so the need is limited though.

I want to use it for internet on a few rare occasions, I have broadband on my pc but can i network the atari to it? or what modem am I restricted to?

You can network with a serial interface, or you can buy/build an ethernet interface. The serial port is limited to 19200bps on a standard ST/STE. As long as the modem follows AT standard (and is standalone) no limits apply, but for the limited serial speed.

I want some ols ST Format magazines, preferably the last 15 or so, does anyone have any for sale?

Wrong forum, try "For Sale / Wanted".

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”