Bad hard drive controller

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Bad hard drive controller

Postby bjjones37 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:17 pm

I am about ready to scream :( :( :( !!!
My MegaSTE hard drive controller seems to have gone bad. It uses surface mount technology. I cannot do surface mount! My 240M drive stopped working so I tried putting an 80M tried in and I get the same error. When I try to load AHDI i get "Unit 0 not recognized." THe 80M drive actually started to work. It let me partition and format and then it failed to see it at all. I suppose it is possible that both hard drives are bad even though the 200M was working perfectly yesterday, but I find it highly unlikely. Is is possible for me to get a replacement hard disk controller without having to mortgage my house?

Further developments. It turns out that the hard drive controller is not bad after all. I was looking the Best Electronics catalog and it suggested that when the hard drive stopped booting, to take the computer and lift it some distance into the air and drop it on a hard surface(I think they said 2 feet). I was not that bold. I took the computer apart and push all of the chips firmly into their sockets. Specifically mentioned were the MMU and Glue chips. Now the 40M, 80M, and 105M hard drives all work, but sadly the 240M hard drive is still dead. :( Well all is not lost. I found a 2G hard drive for $10 and my dear wonderful wife is picking it up for me right now. :D :D
Courtesy is not an option.

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:24 am

Okay I have the 2G hard drive. But how do I terminate it. Look at these docs. I mean I understand termination, but for crying out loud:

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st32550n.html

Term power from drive.
Term power to SCSI bus
Term power fropm SCSI bus
Term power to SCSI bus and drive
Enable SCSI terminator.
Which one? :?

MegaMan
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MegaMan » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:35 am

bjjones37 wrote:Okay I have the 2G hard drive. But how do I terminate it. Look at these docs. I mean I understand termination, but for crying out loud:

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st32550n.html

Term power from drive.
Term power to SCSI bus
Term power fropm SCSI bus
Term power to SCSI bus and drive
Enable SCSI terminator.
Which one? :?

Just leave the drive as it is and hook it up. I have this same hard drive on my Amiga 2500. It works great. :D

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:01 am

That is good news. I did put the two default termination jumpers on it and the parity disable jumper. It did not have any jumpers on it when I got it except one which was not set default. I am glad to hear a good report though. Would you happen to know the best utility to partition and format it on a MegaSTE? I am trying AHDI 5 but I think I read in some of the topics that it does not support all 2G. Does anyone know about whether AHDI 5 or 6 will support 2G?

bripilot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bripilot » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:15 pm

Please don't pay attention to MegaMan... he's also DoomMaster and a true idiot. He's been banned from this board twice now, and working on his third time.
Atarian since 1980

STs: 1040STfm, Falcon 030 w/ 14MB, 10GB internal HD and BlowUp graphics adapter
8bits: 800XL w/ 32-in-1 OS and Supervideo 2.1 Upgrade, Happy 1050, APE (Registered), Commodore 1702 Monitor and PC storage unit

Wish list: MegaSTE, 130XE, 65XEGS

simbo

Postby simbo » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:14 pm

sounds like a good luck story ill lock the topic as read
use a better disk software

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... atari+chbd

or hd driver

http://www.seimet.de/hddriver_english.html

all point in the topic thread duly noted ! :evil:

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”