SupraDrive Atari Hard Disk will not auto-boot

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

DoomMaster
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

SupraDrive Atari Hard Disk will not auto-boot

Postby DoomMaster » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:14 am

Hi Everybody,

What do I have to do to get my Atari 1040ST to boot from a Supra Hard Disk? The 48.6 MB SCSI hard drive is formatted and does not have any errors. At present time I have to boot my Atari 1040ST with the Supra Disk in the drive. Then I have to launch the BOOTHD.PRG in order for the hard drive to come up. I know that there is a way to get an Atari ST to boot from a Supra Hard Drive, but I do not know how to do it. Also, what are the first files that I have to have on the hard drive? I remember from the old days that you needed a folders program to go beyond the 40 folder limit and I think I recall needing some kind of an auto folder with programs in it. Can someone please steer me in the right direction? Thanks. :)
Atari ST - The second best computer of the '80s

simbo

Postby simbo » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:08 am

hi

for example with some freeware drivers you have to make a settings in the tools and save a file
some need copied to the drive then renamed .sys
usualy there is one file in the root directory

and the auto folder is used to add things like screen patchers for hires etc if needed and tos fixes etc etc any auto program
but not hard disk drivers

so usualy you load the driver for the drive this activates it much the same as the .sys and infact is exactly what most drivers do is
alter this .prg file then you simply copy it to the drive root of c
and rename it .sys

i have had a supra interface before
and i am sure there is an option to make the drive bootable

but a good read of the instructions is better i am sure as they are all different

perhaps someone remembers the root to get this driver to work

although looking at the driver disk
i recon suputl.prg is the one you need

after running it in steem i see it has this choice to install autoboot

warerat
Atarian
Atarian

Postby warerat » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:19 am

To get my Supra to auto boot I ran SUPUTL.PRG and told it to write the boot sector. Then the file SHDRIVER.SYS should be in your root folder.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: SupraDrive Atari Hard Disk will not auto-boot

Postby Greenious » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:30 pm

DoomMaster wrote:Hi Everybody,

What do I have to do to get my Atari 1040ST to boot from a Supra Hard Disk? The 48.6 MB SCSI hard drive is formatted and does not have any errors. At present time I have to boot my Atari 1040ST with the Supra Disk in the drive. Then I have to launch the BOOTHD.PRG in order for the hard drive to come up. I know that there is a way to get an Atari ST to boot from a Supra Hard Drive, but I do not know how to do it. Also, what are the first files that I have to have on the hard drive? I remember from the old days that you needed a folders program to go beyond the 40 folder limit and I think I recall needing some kind of an auto folder with programs in it. Can someone please steer me in the right direction? Thanks. :)

Autoboot... quick rundown...

1. Computer starts, TOS resets/sets up the computer and decides to boot from a medium.
2. Looks at the very first sector of the harddrive (if present) what is there. If it there is a harddrive present, and the first partition is in GEM format it goes to step 3.
3. Reads the bootsector of the first partition of the harddrive. Analyses the contents. If there is a valid checksum, and a reference to a valid driver file to load from the root folder of the harddrive, it loads it into memory and runs it.

So, not only do you have to put the driver on the harddrive, you have to configure things to actually start when TOS scans the harddrives.

With all driver software, there is a utility that places the driver on the harddrive and makes the necessary changes so that it will boot. Just putting a file on the harddrive is not enough.

And it can be named anything.

------------

The 40-folder bug is the exact reason you don't want to use an older TOS than 1.04.

If memory serves me right... this is what the bug is about:

In TOS, memory is reserved to cache the filestructure of the disk. This cache was in TOS 1.0-1.02 big enough for 40 folders, and is reset every time you change disk.

Now, this was never a problem with floppydisks, very few floppys contained that many folders, and people swapped them back and forth every once in a while, resetting this cache.

But with the harddrive, it was never reset.

So what happened?

The 40 folder buffer/cache filled up, and when it was full, it kept on writing. Causing a buffer overflow or whatever you decide to call it, and the next time you saved a file, and TOS saved the 'new' filestructure to disk, the overflowing part, by now likely to be filled with data from something else, got saved with it, causing havoc on the filesystem.

Result: Crashed drive.

Quick solution, the FolderXXX.prg patch, letting people expand this limit to a few hundred folders instead, to prevent the overflow from happening.

With TOS 1.04, Atari removed the acute need for folderXXX.prg. They expanded the default size for the buffer, aswell as putting in a safe guard against it trashing the drives filesystem, and HALTs the system if the limit is reached.

With TOS 2 Atari finally removed all need of folderXXX.prg with a dynamically allocated buffer.

DoomMaster

Re: SupraDrive Atari Hard Disk will not auto-boot

Postby DoomMaster » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:11 am

Greenious wrote:
DoomMaster wrote:Hi Everybody,

Autoboot... quick rundown...

1. Computer starts, TOS resets/sets up the computer and decides to boot from a medium.
2. Looks at the very first sector of the harddrive (if present) what is there. If it there is a harddrive present, and the first partition is in GEM format it goes to step 3.
3. Reads the bootsector of the first partition of the harddrive. Analyses the contents. If there is a valid checksum, and a reference to a valid driver file to load from the root folder of the harddrive, it loads it into memory and runs it.

So, not only do you have to put the driver on the harddrive, you have to configure things to actually start when TOS scans the harddrives.

With all driver software, there is a utility that places the driver on the harddrive and makes the necessary changes so that it will boot. Just putting a file on the harddrive is not enough.

And it can be named anything.

------------

The 40-folder bug is the exact reason you don't want to use an older TOS than 1.04.

If memory serves me right... this is what the bug is about:

In TOS, memory is reserved to cache the filestructure of the disk. This cache was in TOS 1.0-1.02 big enough for 40 folders, and is reset every time you change disk.

Now, this was never a problem with floppydisks, very few floppys contained that many folders, and people swapped them back and forth every once in a while, resetting this cache.

But with the harddrive, it was never reset.

So what happened?

The 40 folder buffer/cache filled up, and when it was full, it kept on writing. Causing a buffer overflow or whatever you decide to call it, and the next time you saved a file, and TOS saved the 'new' filestructure to disk, the overflowing part, by now likely to be filled with data from something else, got saved with it, causing havoc on the filesystem.

Result: Crashed drive.

Quick solution, the FolderXXX.prg patch, letting people expand this limit to a few hundred folders instead, to prevent the overflow from happening.

With TOS 1.04, Atari removed the acute need for folderXXX.prg. They expanded the default size for the buffer, aswell as putting in a safe guard against it trashing the drives filesystem, and HALTs the system if the limit is reached.

With TOS 2 Atari finally removed all need of folderXXX.prg with a dynamically allocated buffer.

I have already solved the problem on my own. Thanks anyway for the help. :D
Atari ST - The second best computer of the '80s

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”