Graphics tablet USB driver

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Perdrix24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Graphics tablet USB driver

Postby Perdrix24 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:09 pm

I'm working on USB driver to support current graphics tablets, such as the Wacom Intuos S, pictured in this video:

https://youtu.be/_3b9iDc3XUo

The tip of the stylus acts as the left mouse button when it's down on the tablet. The button on the stylus acts as the right mouse button. The pointer moves when the stylus hovers above the tablet. In addition there are four function keys that can be programmed, for example, to UNDO. It is also possible to get the tip pressure. Suggestions on how the function keys and the tip pressure can be used in Atari ST graphics programs are welcome.

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Graphics tablet USB driver

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Amazing initiative!
Thank you for your contribution to the scene.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:53 pm

Oh, wow! I actually prefer a tablet over any other pointing device on my computers so this is impressive news. How did you implement this, and what system will the driver be compatible with? TOS? MiNT?
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

MM41
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby MM41 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:13 pm

Great project, too cool :cheers:

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 pm

awesome
Lynx II / Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Perdrix24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Perdrix24 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:52 am

jfl wrote:Oh, wow! I actually prefer a tablet over any other pointing device on my computers so this is impressive news. How did you implement this, and what system will the driver be compatible with? TOS? MiNT?

It's a new USB device driver in the same family as the existing mouse, keyboard, storage and printer drivers at
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34355
It will be compatible with TOS, MiNT, EmuTOS, MagiC. It will be working with a NetUSBee, Lightning VME and possibly Unicorn.
It should work on ST, TT, Falcon.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:13 am

Perdrix24 wrote:
jfl wrote:Oh, wow! I actually prefer a tablet over any other pointing device on my computers so this is impressive news. How did you implement this, and what system will the driver be compatible with? TOS? MiNT?

It's a new USB device driver in the same family as the existing mouse, keyboard, storage and printer drivers at
http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34355
It will be compatible with TOS, MiNT, EmuTOS, MagiC. It will be working with a NetUSBee, Lightning VME and possibly Unicorn.

...and EtherNAT :-)

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:36 am

Perdrix24 wrote:It's a new USB device driver in the same family as the existing mouse, keyboard, storage and printer drivers at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34355

I've been too busy lately to follow the news about Atari developments. Any chance these drivers will work on the FireBee or does that machine need specific ones?
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:55 am

Wow
great stuff
:thumbs:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:48 pm

jfl wrote:
Perdrix24 wrote:It's a new USB device driver in the same family as the existing mouse, keyboard, storage and printer drivers at http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34355

I've been too busy lately to follow the news about Atari developments. Any chance these drivers will work on the FireBee or does that machine need specific ones?

Unfortunately no easily, the problem with FireTOS (and the TOS for the CTPCI) is that we need to uninstall their builtin USB drivers before we install these other drivers but there isn't a clean way to do it. Also to make a specific driver version for the FireBee won't work because there isn't either a clean way to expand the FireTOS USB facilities with new drivers.

I think the more realistic way to solve this problem would be to patch FireTOS to don't load their builtin USB drivers, I looked into that but that part of the code is compressed in the binary and I didn't figure out yet where exactly in the image is the compressed part. The drawback of this approach it would be that you won't have access to the USB device until they're loaded from the AUTO folder, this means that if something goes wrong loading the drivers you still rely on the ATARI (IKBD) keyboard and mouse.

sashapont

Postby sashapont » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Thank you! It is cool!
Atari Falcon, Firebee

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:57 am

Galvez wrote:Unfortunately no easily, the problem with FireTOS (and the TOS for the CTPCI) is that we need to uninstall their builtin USB drivers before we install these other drivers but there isn't a clean way to do it. Also to make a specific driver version for the FireBee won't work because there isn't either a clean way to expand the FireTOS USB facilities with new drivers.

Re: the bolded, this really sucks. Thanks for the detailed explanation; I was expecting something like this.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 am

jfl wrote:
Galvez wrote:Unfortunately no easily, the problem with FireTOS (and the TOS for the CTPCI) is that we need to uninstall their builtin USB drivers before we install these other drivers but there isn't a clean way to do it. Also to make a specific driver version for the FireBee won't work because there isn't either a clean way to expand the FireTOS USB facilities with new drivers.

Re: the bolded, this really sucks. Thanks for the detailed explanation; I was expecting something like this.

There is still a way - FireTOS sources (i.e. CTPCI TOS, too) aren't totally lost. But they are kept private, as per agreement with Didier (from a century ago). No, it isn't me but it's one person from the FireBee team. Convince him to break this agreement and we can do amazing things.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:30 am

mikro wrote:
jfl wrote:

There is still a way - FireTOS sources (i.e. CTPCI TOS, too) aren't totally lost. But they are kept private, as per agreement with Didier (from a century ago). No, it isn't me but it's one person from the FireBee team. Convince him to break this agreement and we can do amazing things.

It’s full of GPL-stuff anyway.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:19 pm

mikro wrote:There is still a way - FireTOS sources (i.e. CTPCI TOS, too) aren't totally lost. But they are kept private, as per agreement with Didier (from a century ago). No, it isn't me but it's one person from the FireBee team. Convince him to break this agreement and we can do amazing things.

LOL... A century ago ? Has he copyrighted it? Which country ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ht_lengths
a century is not enough
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Perdrix24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Perdrix24 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:17 pm

I finished a first version of the driver. It was tricky to convert the absolute positions of the tablet to the relative needed by the mouse.

New video: https://youtu.be/R2th1pdOAs0

It's already on FreeMiNT's repository, and I'll include it in the next package of the USB drivers in October I hope.

I tested on Falcon030 TOS & EmuTOS, Falcon 060 MagiC, 520STFM TOS. Basically, if a program works with the USB mouse, it will work with the stylus and tablet.

WORKS:
CyberPaint (calibrate before calling draw screen)
TouchUp
Degas Elite
Pixart
Rembrandt
Vision 4.5c

DOES NOT WORK:
Deluxe Paint
NeoChrome 2.28 (but older version worked on draw screen but not on menu)
Spectrum 512
Grafx-2-2
Rainbow 2

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”