Modifying a Mitsumi D359M3D from PC for my Atari 520 STfm

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

kakashi
Atarian
Atarian

Modifying a Mitsumi D359M3D from PC for my Atari 520 STfm

Postby kakashi » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:42 pm

I just picked up this atari and about 30 games and programs for £8 and found out when I got home that the floppt disk drive dosent work. On first inspection of it, it seemed as if it was just a problem with the belt. The motor was spinning but the belt was not. I replaced it with a tighter rubber band and it works.

However, the head doesn't seem to read so I have tried to re align it and still nothing. I have the mitsumi drive metioned in the title and would like to convert it for the atari. I found a txt file on the net on how to convert a similar mitsumi drive but it seems to be a very different drive.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to convert it or is it too hard as it has no jumpers?

Thanks

Rich
There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those that dont.

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:22 am

More modern PC floppy drives don't have jumpers any more to set the drive ID. If you are lucky, if you look on the circuit board you may see 'ID' written on the board where there will be a few solder pads. If it's there then you'd have to manually solder in the pins in order to set the ID to zero (PC's use ID 1).

It would be a lot less hassle to buy an external Atari disk drive off of Ebay. They go quite cheaply too. Remove the drive from the casing and place it in your atari.

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Dark Willow » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:42 pm

another thing that works fine is if you can find old DSDD drives from an old PC. They are pretty much ready to go for an ST, though you may need to cut the case a bit to get them in.
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

PuppySoft:Projects & More

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”