1040ST for Free-just pay your shipping cost

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

brasco1234
Atarian
Atarian

1040ST for Free-just pay your shipping cost

Postby brasco1234 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:35 pm

Hello All-
Here's the deal. I bought a 1040ST w/1MB RAM, 1.02 TOS etc in a thrift store. It came with a Mega Drive, SM1224 and mouse. I got this for only $5. I was getting ready to sell it on Ebay, tested everything and it all worked perfectly. I noticed a rattling part in the ST, so I thought I would just open it up and pull out whatever it was, since it obviously wasn't affecting performance. Big mistake. Upon loosening the screws on the back, more things starting rattling about, bigger things. I still cannot open the case because of one piece of plastic attached to the upper shell in the middle that will not move. I am clueless. In trying to open it, I broke the tiny piece of plastic that is above the left side of the keyboard. This does not affect its performance at all. Basically, I feel positively terrible throwing it away. I am sure somebody here that knows how to open the case could make it good as new. It worked fully when I opened it up. I am quite angry at myself for ruining it, but in the end I only paid around $2.00 for it.
So, if anyone wants it they can have it. I will only charge you what it costs me to ship it and a $5.00 handling fee. Its completely irrational, but I just feel terrible throwing it away. If you live in the Detroit area, you can pick it up. I will pack it up nice for shipping. Payment could be through Pay Pal or a money order. Just let me know where you live and I'll give you a shipping cost.
Thanks,
Chris

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:56 am

Well, there you have it. It's always a shame to throw away such items... I'v ebeen wondering what will happen when a day comes when most machines have been thrown away and no more parts exist... what will happen when they start failing, when their life span has come to an end? Terrible, just terrible... :(

Cheers
Gryzor
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

simbo

Postby simbo » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:58 am

ok the unknown block of plastic stoping you getting into the atari
is just another screw

from new any{most} atari comes with a security screw
one that is covered up by a sticker {small white sticker not the atari label usualy under the harddisk port on the base }

poke a number2 star screw driver thru the sticker and take the screw under it out

this one will release the top

to fully remove the top make sure every screw is out pertaining to the case lift the top cover from the left side first
and move it right towards to floppy it should just unclick

{i think you have taken the long screws that hold the floppy in out also
you shouldnt have done this}
the screw holes for the CASE
have a squareish hole to sit in
the ones for the floppy have a round hole they sit in

there is a brass spacer that falls off sounds heavy dont worry
anyway
{it is to replace once of the screws on the floppy that isnt used
so the floppy is held in by only three}

place the st keyboard side toward you

and from the left of the keyboard lift the top case

then slide the top off while lifting the top cover observing the diskdrive button {take any disk out the floppy drive}

you may need to gently push its button in a little to release the top

now reposition everything as it should go
you may need to poke about to find all the rattle bits
{just turn the base upside down and give it a shake above the floor}

there is one space below the floppy dosnt have a screw
it holds the brass spacer
so place it back under the floppy and carefully turn the base vertical and put the three long screws
{not self tappers but longer than the rest }
back into the floppy to secure it {not too tight here}

all the screws should be no more than gentley firm in there hole ie not even hand tight

now with any other bits that fell out

make sure you got every bit

even if it means removing the top steel covers and checking for any loose bits
to do this is a little harder there is another 5 screws to remove and youll need plyers to untwist the retainers between the top and bottom of this sheilding steel box

its all very easy

so anyway once your sure that all is right
put it back together
making sure you keep the smallest of the self tappers {three } for the very front

as it uses smaller screws than the rest

if you place the wrong screws into the underside of the front lip {keyboard} youll get some white dots appear on the ste case {nasty}

so make sure you fit the right size here

very often i find a two p and a 1 p or now i get 5p and twenty p pieces {coins} from my pals kids using the ste as a bank
{hehe} sometimes with undesired effects to the chip set
even monopoly pieces
so remove any objects like this

if you need more help just ask

other than to add if i got an atari hardware so cheep i would guard it with my life and only sell it for a good price

here you get 70 - 100 quid for a good st or ste with hdd maybe 150

they still hold there value as they are great machines for music with a solid midi event when used properly

bripilot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Yo!

Postby bripilot » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:48 pm

I'd be happy to get this from you... just give me a shipping cost to zip code 66048 (Leavenworth, Kansas).

Bout time some US people started getting together on this board... hehe... Lots of UK, but not a whole lot of US... =)

Email me at bresch@kc.rr.com if you want... Thanks!
Atarian since 1980

STs: 1040STfm, Falcon 030 w/ 14MB, 10GB internal HD and BlowUp graphics adapter
8bits: 800XL w/ 32-in-1 OS and Supervideo 2.1 Upgrade, Happy 1050, APE (Registered), Commodore 1702 Monitor and PC storage unit

Wish list: MegaSTE, 130XE, 65XEGS

brasco1234
Atarian
Atarian

Postby brasco1234 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:54 am

Sorry for the delay-
I am going out of town until Monday. When I get back I am going to try and follow the instructions here and see if I can get it back together again. I will let you know if it is still available.
Thanks,
Chris

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Re: Yo!

Postby Gryzor » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:41 am

bripilot wrote:
Bout time some US people started getting together on this board... hehe... Lots of UK, but not a whole lot of US... =)

Only goes to say something about Atari's marketing strategy... :(

Cheers
Gryzor
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

simbo

Postby simbo » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:56 am

at the time of atari
people were too caught up in commodore
it had a better reputation than atari for
actual working computer examples
amoungst these the comodore 64 and +16
although it was a terrible machine it had lots of software
after the uk release of the atari atari quickly caught up

basicaly becouse atari ste's were more powerfull than commodore and it was easier to connect hard disks and other toys to it
this is why the uk bought it ....

:D

so blame the american market for this
as it was the us going and buying commodore put them all off the atari as it was twice the price.....

pitty :?

afterall the uk was still realing over the spectrum range....

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”