2nd drive capability in Megafile 30?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

6BQ5
Atari User
Atari User

2nd drive capability in Megafile 30?

Postby 6BQ5 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:10 pm

I have searched both Atari forums and Google looking for information on adding a second drive to a Megafile 30. My searches come up blank. Maybe I am using the wrong search terms? Here is my question :

Is it possible to add a second RLL drive to a Megafile 30? I understand there are issues with a lack of space and adequate power supply capability ... and it is not economical compared to getting an UltraSatan. Let's put those issues to the side for now. It seems like it should be possible with the existence of a second 20-pin data connection.

Thanks! :D

Boris

Atari 130XE
Atari 1040 STe

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: 2nd drive capability in Megafile 30?

Postby czietz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Yes, see here: http://wiki.newtosworld.de/index.php?ti ... s_Laufwerk. Ignore the fact that the URL says the SH205; you can see from the photos that in fact a Megafile 30 was used. The text is in German, though. Maybe Google Translate can help or the photos speaks for themselves.

6BQ5
Atari User
Atari User

Re: 2nd drive capability in Megafile 30?

Postby 6BQ5 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:44 pm

This is perfect! :D Exactly what I was looking for! :D

The photos are very, very good. Google Translate is not perfect but it adds more explanation. So it is possible. Excellent!

Interesting to note the original ST-238R drive was replaced with a smaller ST-138 unit. That cleared room for the second ST-138R unit. I assume the original ST-238R can be replaced with any RLL drive - not just ST-[x]38R.

I recently purchased the latest version of HDDRIVER from Uwe Semit. It is very well made. I like it. Glad to know that software can see the second drive.

I also wonder where the author found the second set of brackets. Maybe he made them?

Boris

Atari 130XE
Atari 1040 STe

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”