Mega STE - almost working - NO FDD

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Mega STE - almost working - NO FDD

Postby Chandler » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:05 pm

Been working on this Mega STE for a while as it had a lot of corroded sockets which i have changed

So far it now boots with the white screen and Atari logo in left corner, does the memory test ok

Then when it is about to go to the desktop i get 4 x bombs

There is NO floppy drive activity at all, not even for a short while on boot up, the floppy LED never lights up

The floppy drive and LED is fine as it works in any other Atari ST, i have changed the grey ribbon cable also, same

I have disconnected the floppy drive cable from the motherboard and still get the 4 bombs on boot up even with no floppy drive connected

Floppy AJAX IC (and socket) is ok

I have a test cart which works ok but can't get any more info from that than i can already see, if i try to test the floppy drive with the test cart (press F) i get a message "no floppy"

Also there is no sound (but i guess this can be looked at later)

Can anyone advise where i could look next :)

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Mega STE - almost working - NO FDD

Postby czietz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Chandler wrote:I have disconnected the floppy drive cable from the motherboard and still get the 4 bombs on boot up even with no floppy drive connected

Four bombs is normal behavior for TOS 2.06 when no drive is present.

Chandler wrote:Also there is no sound (but i guess this can be looked at later)
Can anyone advise where i could look next :)

Since the floppy drive is selected by the sound chip (YM2149) I would go check that chip next.

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Mega STE - almost working - NO FDD

Postby Chandler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks! funnily enough i was going to change that chip next, thought i'd just here first in case there was anything else i'd missed

Anyway, great news, changed the chip and now it works perfectly - very pleased!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”